Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well The Collection of Parts Begins (The Collecting is DONE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a read of this pigworthy.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=17833667

Comment

I didn't read that one, but I've heard of the problem. Got my system running last night, and I have the same problem.

CoreTemp is reading one core at 39c and the other at 43c IDLE.

Looks like a bios update is needed badly. Or do you think I have to much AS5 could be causing part of my problem. It seems cool to the touch. The Abit GURU program reports core temp at 127c.

Juneau. Which drivers did you install with yours. I did the sound and ethernet ones. You mentioned you only had to install 2 I think it was.
      I'm here to kill friends. Do you want to be my friend?

Comment

Well ran ORTHOS for 5 min and both cores only went up to 44c. I think if they where really at 39 & 43c idle, they would go much higher.

Comment

It is indeed a bios problem. With a very slight chance of it being a CPU diode error. Don't try the new beta bios.

I just installed the Intel Chipset drivers and the Realtek LAN drivers. Have you setup fan speeds in uGuru yet? Very nice app if i say so myself. Currently 8v all my case fans and slowed my CPU fan down to 45%.

Did you disable the ide/esata controller in the bios? The screen annoyed me i just had to remove it.

While your CPU is at stock could you run a 1M SuperPi test for me?

http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/super_pi_mod-1.5.zip

Comment

Here is the 1M SuperPi test Juneau

EDITED: Here are all the timings:

Comment

Not too much faster than my 18.965 seconds. Wonder how much faster yours will be when i o/c my chip to 3ghz.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
                Not too much faster than my 18.965 seconds. Wonder how much faster yours will be when i o/c my chip to 3ghz.
                Let me know how it goes. But the timings don't look that much different until you look at the percentage. About 25% difference.

Comment

That superpi score for stock is impressive, my E6750 2.66 OC'd to 3.6 scores 14.031 I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3.6 OC on a 8400 series get into the 12's
                  Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Originally posted by Devilguns
                    That superpi score for stock is impressive, my E6750 2.66 OC'd to 3.6 scores 14.031 I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3.6 OC on a 8400 series get into the 12's
                    That's what i wanted to hear. Just checking what these new chips are bringing to the table other than higher cpu speeds.

Comment

I just OC'ed to 3.33GHz. PI score of 13.704 for 1M.

I have a big difference in voltage. In the Bios it's set to 1.1875v but CPU-Z reads in as 1.010v. I've read that CPU-Z is correct, but I'm not sure what to believe. To get 3.33GHz stable in orthos I've had to up the volts to 1.2575 in the bios but CPU-Z is reading it as 1.080v. During load I have a V drop of .01-.02 volts. But between Bios and CPU-Z I have a .1775v difference. Thats quit a lot. How about you Juneau?

Comment

Well, ran a 9hr Orthos overnight. No problem. Temp went up to about 50c with HSF set to low (2hrs into it. Top of main copper on the cpu was still cool to the touch though), I set the HSF to high for the night and it was down to 45c this morning. Ran the Super PI 1M this morning and got 13.563 seconds.

Running Orthos now at 380 Buss, 3.42Ghz, same volts.

Comment

Yea there is always a slight differnence between bios and cpuz voltage. Mine isn't that bad though. A new version of cpuz might fix that if it's a software issue.

Nice pi times so far. 4ghz gets you 11 seconds.

Comment

I'll update this as things go along.

Comment

Nice going so far pigworthy. Have you tried upping the MCH voltage a little instead of just bumping the core volts?

Been meaning to ask also. Is it a crash free bios? As in it resets to default after a bad overclock? I can't seem to remember. I love the external cmos reset btw.

Comment

I haven't had it fail in booting yet. It's booted every time. The Bios is suppose to reset automatic if it doesn't post. But I haven't had that happen yet.

What's MCH voltage and what does it do? And which one do I believe, Bios or CPU-Z for the core voltage. I mean at 3.6GHz I'm not even up to what the stock voltage is suppose to be for the E8400.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X