buying new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeffro
    hmm thats weird... then why is the gts more expensive?
    Because its has a larger ring bus, the chip itself is more expensive to make since its on a larger die, and there is more ram. video ram is expensive....

the thing about the SSC GTS models, is that they are throwback GTX chips, with just the underpreforming parts cut out, hence the odd number of stream processors they will be running. thing is, i have yet to see them.

add to that most etailors bought large chunks at a fixed price. and while the GT was cheaper, they still want to make their margin on the gts cards.

Comment

so i should go with the 512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT?
      i'm happy with that thats like a huge diff in price for me if i still get performance.

Comment

Jeffro,

Reviews.

Computer Shopper:

"Reviewed by: Denny Atkin
        Review Date: November 2007

Given how nVidia has named its graphics cards in the past, you'd think that the GeForce 8800 GT would be a slower, less-expensive version of the $400 8800 GTS. Well, it is less expensive, with cards arriving on the shelves at $250 to $300, but it's not slower. In fact, the 8800 GT outperformed the 8800 GTS in most of our tests, effectively bringing the cost of buying a high-performance graphics card down by about $100."

http://computershopper.com/reviews/x...-graphics-card

Computer Power User:

"In single or SLI mode and running the DX10-based Bioshock tests in 1,600 x 1,200, the 8800 GT actually outperformed an 8800 GTS. In single mode, the 8800 GT churned out an impressive 68.4fps vs. the 8800 GTS? 59.7fps, with the Radeon HD 2900 XT lagging behind at 55.3fps. Everyone?s favorite, yet performance-hogging, Crysis demo test showed the 8800 GT at 36fps vs. the Radeon 2900 XT?s 25fps at 1,280 x 1,024."

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/edi...E81B689A9C9B05

Andantech:

"On paper, the 8800 GT completely gets rid of the point of the 8800 GTS. The 8800 GT has more shader processing power, can address and filter more textures per clock, and only falls short in the number of pixels it can write out to memory per clock and overall memory bandwidth. Even then, the memory bandwidth advantage of the 8800 GTS isn't that great (64GB/s vs. 57.6GB/s), amounting to only 11% thanks to the 8800 GT's slightly higher memory clock. If the 8800 GT does end up performing the same, if not better, than the 8800 GTS then NVIDIA will have truly thrown down an amazing hand."

"As we've mentioned, on paper the 8800 GT looks much better in every area except for memory bandwidth. Even though memory size is an advantage for the 640MB card, we know from experience that the added memory size really doesn't net us much in the way of performance except in the most extreme circumstances. So we certainly expect the 8800 GT to outperform both the more expensive 8800 GTS 320MB and (by extension) the 8800 GTS 640MB. Essentially, this should give us the performance of a $400 card for $200 - $250. Quite a good deal no matter how you slice it.

And from the first, our expectations are upheld and then some. The 8800 GT does top the GTS. This seals the deal: the 8800 GTS is no longer a viable product. While NVIDIA has stated that the 320MB part will be dropped very quickly, they expect the 640MB card to stick around for a few months. We don't see this happening unless retailers start selling the 640MB part for $250 as well. While such a drastic price reduction is possible, it isn't very likely. Once people hear about the performance difference of the 8800 GT over the 8800 GTS, there may be a lot of $400+ 8800 GTS inventory sitting on shelves. "

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140

Comment

so have i told you guys how much i loved yall recently? lol thanks for everything.

Comment

We've already established that NVIDIA's new 8800 GT is better than the 8800 GTS, but how does it fare against the current king of the hill - the GeForce 8800 GTX?

Here are the test results in frames per second of the 8800 GT versus the 8800 GTX in games that are just coming out.

Comment

so should i get gtx? is it really that big of a difference?

Comment

Depends on your needs. When I saw those numbers, first thing that popped into my mind is that its an acceptable difference in frame rate.

What you consider ok might not be for someone else. It all depends on your wants and needs.

But if price truly is not an issue (and if you don't mind having your parents spend more of their money), then go with the GTX. Its a better card. But for some, its not THAT much of a better card.
                [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
                So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

i think ill be fine with a gt

Comment

A GT will be fine unless you plan to play with crazy high resolutions.

Comment

nah ill be good thnx for the help guys! now let me buy my stuff and something new and cool will come out tomorrow and ill be screwed
                      lol

Comment

The GT will make you happy for a while. good choice

Comment

So are you going with that Dell? Did you ever find out what motherboard it uses? What spec is the PSU?

Comment

yeah i think i'm gonna be a fallen soldier and go with the dell lol. atleast they have year warranties and stuff.

Comment

first thing i'm gonna do is buy crysis lol

Comment

Not to keep on about it but. What Motherboard Does It Use!?

It is a very important part of your PC!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X