New Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NateTheBrewer View Post
    Yes, you should turn off windows update during the install. But you should still do it manually once a month or more often for security and bug fixes.

... or was he using sarcasm..?
    No, I'm completely serious. I have had nothing but problems with the updates. They pop up in the WORST times and have to restart. Not to mention how bloaty they are. They just take space and rarely have fixed a damn thing for me. I say rarely, but I mean never. They have NEVER fixed anything for me. I will forever keep them off. And I don't even format using a service pack either. What I am running right now is the purest first version of Windows 7. And I have had no problems with it.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
      Always hard to tell, but that's part of the fun.
      Eh, ho! Since I don't use 3dmark. Make sure you post the Windows Experience Index score. I don't want you to beat me. I'll keep my score secret until you post yours.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
        No, I'm completely serious. I have had nothing but problems with the updates. They pop up in the WORST times and have to restart. Not to mention how bloaty they are. They just take space and rarely have fixed a damn thing for me. I say rarely, but I mean never. They have NEVER fixed anything for me. I will forever keep them off. And I don't even format using a service pack either. What I am running right now is the purest first version of Windows 7. And I have had no problems with it.
        That is why I have auto-update turned off. Then you do them manually to pick and choose what you need, primarily security updates and optimizations.

Never update drivers if windows tells you to, these should be installed from the hardware manufacturer and these will indeed break your system.

Things like Bing toolbars, Windows Search and translations services are definitely things you want to skip, which is why you want to do the manual update.

You can purge old update files if you do not plan to roll back from them easily... I have done this to keep aging domain controllers alive that were built with a small primary system partition.

There are features embedded into windows like Silverlight (which is what lets you use various features on websites like Netflix Streaming) that get improved or added features through these updates. If you have programs crash or not behave well, there is a very good chance it could be due to something in Windows that is not up to date.

The biggest things are security updates. People are finding security holes all the time, and they are building malware that exploits them. This is what the majority of patches from Microsoft are for. You say you have never had an issue, but you do run a very big risk since you are leaving your system vulnerable to threats that have been discovered and removed since the operating system was released.

Case in point, there was some nasty stuff on Windows XP that if you did not apply the patch and you computer was exposed to the web, it would eventually get infected.

This is why updating is a requirement of various industry compliance certifications, like PCI, etc.

Comment

A fine point well made. Which made me think of one program that never worked on my computer. COD4 wouldn't run. So I'm going to install all the updates right now, which I'm thinking is a few gigs, and tomorrow I'll reinstall it. If it doesn't work I'm going to find you and touch you inappropriately.

Comment

A fine point well made. Which made me think of one program that never worked on my computer. COD4 wouldn't run. So I'm going to install all the updates right now, which I'm thinking is a few gigs, and tomorrow I'll reinstall it. If it doesn't work I'm going to find you and touch you inappropriately.
            Do I get a choice between the knife or dildo gun?

Comment

Eh, ho! Since I don't use 3dmark. Make sure you post the Windows Experience Index score. I don't want you to beat me. I'll keep my score secret until you post yours.
              I hate that benchmark as it pretty much means nothing but here it is.

Everything currently at stock.

If anybody wants SSD benchmarks etc just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by NateTheBrewer View Post
                Do I get a choice between the knife or dildo gun?

Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Lookie what I have!

Comment

I see you ate the gummy bears already.

Comment

First thing I did.

Comment

You beat me by .1!!!! Nooooooo. It really doesn't mean anything. Because that system was made up 4 years ago and now most systems will beat it. I need to get that SSD. VERY surprised your processor is a 7.6. I'm using a 2600k.

And nate, knife THEN dildo gun.

Comment

Yes you need the knife to make more openings.

Comment

You beat me by .1!!!! Nooooooo. It really doesn't mean anything. Because that system was made up 4 years ago and now most systems will beat it. I need to get that SSD. VERY surprised your processor is a 7.6. I'm using a 2600k.

Is yours overclocked? Apparently only a handful of stock clock CPU's reach 7.8. None reach 7.9.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
                              Is yours overclocked? Apparently only a handful of stock clock CPU's reach 7.8. None reach 7.9.
                              Capture.PNG

Stock

I think it focuses more heavily on threads than clock speed - I just built this PC and it has 6 cores, but the actually clockspeed is slower than yours... It kind of makes sense, since its 4 cores / 8 threads, vs 6 cores, 12 threads... Whatever windows is using to benchmark is seeing how many threads it can complete in a given period.

According to Anandtech's benchmarks, the 2600K actually does better in several gaming benchmarks than the 3930K.

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/287?vs=552

Comment

Just realized we have almost the same SSD, I have the Pro and you have the EVO, their numbers are identical, so you should be getting the same rating in that category...

Do you have it plugged into SATA III ports, and if your motherboard gives you a choice between an Intel controller or something else, are you making sure to use the ports on the Intel controller?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X