No announcement yet.

SAVE XP !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use both. Vista is running great on my everyday PC. I even updated it to SP1 this week with zero problems. If you have a new computer, it works well. If you have an older computer, it has obvious problems.

Then there is gaming. I run XP on my gaming computer. LIke most of you, why would I spend hundreds and even thousands for bleeding edge components, just to have the OS slow me down. So no Vista for gaming.

For years I have listened to Opie and Anthony's radio show here in NY. They are also on XM Radio. When Vista came out, Anthony ran out and bought it on the first day. He has an awesome top of the line computer and couldn't wait to put Vista on it. But alas it was not meant to be.....................So he made this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

Comment

No problems gaming here. My xp machine has a 2.0 GHZ processor with 2 gigs of ram with a 256 mb AGP card, and my Vista machine has a 3.0 GHZ processor with 2 gigs of ram and a 512 mb PCIE video card. Gaming is better on my vista machine.

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
        Yep and that was cool....multi configs for autoexec.bat and config.sys
        Multiple configs? multiple boot disks? thats what batch & config file editing were for. i had options programmed into it to play a variety of games, from wing commander, to lemmings, to myst, to Doom, warcraft 1 & 2, to wing commander privateer. the last of which btw was a huge pain since it required 600 of the 640k of the base memory. which usually ment a joystick could be used, but not the sound blaster, or vice versa. brings back memories. LOADHIGH, MSCDEX, Emm386 XMS 4096, repeadelty tearing through the memory map to figure out exactly what could be loaded high, & what couldn't to save every single spare byte(not Kilobyte) of system ram to get something running.

Or GWbasic/Qbasic and the 2+weeks it took me to program in a 6000 line program from a computer magazine to have it generate a mandelbrot fractel.

Oh, and then ther ewas always Quake/Hexen and the sheer volume of work to set up a manually dialed modem connection to start the game in a co-op mode. duke nukem forever, commander keen, leisure suit larry, just about anything else i could get my hands on from apogee, pitfall for the 8088, sim city, in black & white. i swear there were more game available for the pc back before all the windows crap, than there are now. Bulletin boards, those were the days.

I use XP on 4 pcs, win98SE on one, win95 on one, vista on 2, ubunutu on one, and windows 2k on 3. i have long past lost the need for 3.11. i won't sign, because i love them all.

Comment

Originally posted by -IRC-MIKE View Post
          No problems gaming here. My xp machine has a 2.0 GHZ processor with 2 gigs of ram with a 256 mb AGP card, and my Vista machine has a 3.0 GHZ processor with 2 gigs of ram and a 512 mb PCIE video card. Gaming is better on my vista machine.
          All being equal though, if you ran Vista and XP on the same machine you would take a hit in performance for gaming and graphics intensive applications running in Vista over XP from 10-30%.

Which is why for the moment I'm declining on spending money to make an OS upgrade that I don't need and won't really benefit me since I primarily game and watch media on my PC, while rarely doing office chores.
          [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
          [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_chef View Post
            dip switches? most of mine had jumpers for DMA and IRQs. I still have old DOS and win 3.1 and 3.11 floppies around here some where. I think I still have an old creative card with built in SCSI on the sound card up in the attic.
            I'm still running hardware that have jumpers for DMA and IRQs.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper110 View Post
              All being equal though, if you ran Vista and XP on the same machine you would take a hit in performance for gaming and graphics intensive applications running in Vista over XP from 10-30%.

Which is why for the moment I'm declining on spending money to make an OS upgrade that I don't need and won't really benefit me since I primarily game and watch media on my PC, while rarely doing office chores.

If I didn't already have it, and if I were you, I wouldn't go out and purchase it either. NOBODY should just go out and buy it for the sake of buying it to upgrade. If you are going to EVENTUALLY have vista, you should only get it with your next PC. I do NOT suggest upgrading a current pc to vista. No Way. The NIGHTMARES I had... (on several customer's machines)

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
                What are you talking about....I was running QEMM 386 and an Adlib midi sound card to play Wing Commander
                WOW now those were the days. I had a 286 that I played Wing Commander on. I actually spent $200.00 a "Mega" byte to up the machine to 8 Megs. Then I set a dipwtich on the motherboard so that 4 megs were "expanded" rather than "extended" memory. The difference in the graphics was incredible . (Yeah well for the day they were ). I played WC and all it's successors, add on's and voice packs, etc. In some ways it was way more fun than anything of today is...
                [TT]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dCXnCM7.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                  I gamed on Dos and Windows too. Do you not remember having to have boot discs for each game.
                  Apache
                  I installed the OS/2 Boot Manager so I didn't need any boot disks. I just had multiple config.sys+autoexec.bat files that I could select from off the Boot Manager Menu...
                  [TT]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dCXnCM7.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by [TT]BrundleFly View Post
                    WOW now those were the days. I had a 286 that I played Wing Commander on. I actually spent $200.00 a "Mega" byte to up the machine to 8 Megs. Then I set a dipwtich on the motherboard so that 4 megs were "expanded" rather than "extended" memory. The difference in the graphics was incredible . (Yeah well for the day they were ). I played WC and all it's successors, add on's and voice packs, etc. In some ways it was way more fun than anything of today is...
                    Wow, the memories.

I had almost the exact same experience. Except our first PC was a 486dx and by that time RAM had dropped to the low low price of $100 per MB

Good times And +1 to the awesomeness that was WC. Back in the glory days of Space combat games, before that genre shriveled up and died

Comment

remember x-wing alliance?

that was my fav space flight sim

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                      Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X