SAVE XP !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
    I gamed on Dos and Windows too. Do you not remember having to have boot discs for each game.
    Apache

Yep and that was cool....multi configs for autoexec.bat and config.sys

Comment

I couldn't agree more with the people who are XP fans, but I have to defend Vista and give it credit where it is due. Vista, even though it requires at least 2 gigs to run smoothly, it will utilize those two gigabytes much more efficiently than XP ever could. It is simply the smartest Windows operating system I've ever seen. It is like it knows when you open a game or other software that is resource intensive so it juggles process priority extremely well. XP you have to manually do this or set the pc up so that it is pre-determined what processes are priority. Vista is pretty smart. I know you all hate to hear that, and I hated XP when it first came out and didn't want to learn it, but I did, it is here, and I don't regret it. Same rules apply.

If it were up to me, however, and I were microsoft, I would have taken xp to a new level instead of dropping it and starting another trend. I believe that XP had not reached its full potential and it is scary that Vista is already talked about as being a thing of the past. I don't look for vista to last as long as XP did, but I can guarantee you that it is a BETTER operating system for regular users who do nothing more than play games, check mail, chat, browse...etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
        Yep and that was cool....multi configs for autoexec.bat and config.sys
        those were the days

Comment

I tell you I was very happy with 2k when it came out....I mean jeez you can finally change the damn IP address without having to reboot.....Like Unix has only been doing that for like 30 years.....

Comment

I tell you I was very happy with 2k when it came out....I mean jeez you can finally change the damn IP address without having to reboot.....Like Unix has only been doing that for like 30 years.....
            +1

LOL!

OH, on windows 3.1 you played wing commander? Jeez.. Well our pc's weren't allowed to install such content at the phone company and I quite frankly didn't know to actually go and seek software games.

Comment

Originally posted by -IRC-MIKE View Post
              +1

LOL!

OH, on windows 3.1 you played wing commander? Jeez.. Well our pc's weren't allowed to install such content at the phone company and I quite frankly didn't know to actually go and seek software games.
              Windows 3.1...Hell no DOS. No state of the art video game would work in windows 3.0,3.1 or WFWG's. Man Windows was basically a Windowing system for DOS. Yeah it used bog down my 286 8 mhz overclocked to 16mhz (old school style meaning you have to replace the quartz clock on the MB) with 16 MB of RAM and a 25 MB hard drive. Like I said I had an Adlib sound card(only had a midi synth on it) and VGA graphics (w00t 256 colors). Man and network cards...raise your hand if you remember assigning rom space for network cards?

I mean check out this high tech sound card

Comment

Sign whatever you want whenever you want, but for someone like myself in technology sales, I understand that the economy of technology depends on frequent changes in order to stay profitable.

A single OS spawns multiple additional sales.

Vista spawned the need for additional Office bundles to be bought, it spawned additional hardware purchases, and in the future once perfected, will spawn additional hardware and software purchases through a second, third, and perhaps 4th round.

The entire time, Microsoft charges developer access licensing, manufacturer access licensing, and takes a share of the profits on great deal of products sold today.

They will not allow Windows XP to circumvent this revenue model.

Comment

Windows 3.1 was nothing but a shell over DOS. All games played in DOS and needed a boot disc because DOS could not allocate enough memory.
                  Anyone remember how bad Windows 3.0 was?
                  I remember getting my first single speed CD Rom for my 386.
                  Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                  Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                  I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

WFWG's
                    WFWG which was ...... 3.11 of course. Woo Hoo!
                    ...raise your hand if you remember assigning rom space for network cards?[/QUOTE]

:
                    I remember juggling the IRQ settings also. Do you guys also remember the trouble with freeing up as much base memory as possible to get that memory intensive game to run that just have to have more than 610k free. And remember the DMA conflicts with setting up the old sound cards... Man those were the days.
                    But here's the real question, does anyone remember playing the old text based game the Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy and on a trash 80 (TRS-80) no less. Wooo yeah baby. Now we're talking. That's what I took my assembler class on. Whew, man, the good old days.
                    [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
                    Like the community? Donate here:
                    [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Hey I just remembered another one, does anyone remember OS2 Warp. Man I had that thing tri-booting Win95 or 98, Linux and OS2.
                      [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
                      Like the community? Donate here:
                      [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by DougBob View Post
                        WFWG which was ...... 3.11 of course. Woo Hoo!
                        ...raise your hand if you remember assigning rom space for network cards?
                        :
                        I remember juggling the IRQ settings also. Do you guys also remember the trouble with freeing up as much base memory as possible to get that memory intensive game to run that just have to have more than 610k free. And remember the DMA conflicts with setting up the old sound cards... Man those were the days.
                        But here's the real question, does anyone remember playing the old text based game the Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy and on a trash 80 (TRS-80) no less. Wooo yeah baby. Now we're talking. That's what I took my assembler class on. Whew, man, the good old days.

Dip switches anyone? WEEEEEE I played a lot of text based games. I really enjoyed a game called Pyramid for the tandy 100. It was a cassette tape. Not too long ago I dumped the tandy 100 and I still had the (external of course) 5 1/4 floppy drive for the commodore. It weighed somewhere around 50 lbs I think.

Comment

Originally posted by -IRC-MIKE View Post
                          Dip switches anyone? WEEEEEE I played a lot of text based games. I really enjoyed a game called Pyramid for the tandy 100. It was a cassette tape. Not too long ago I dumped the tandy 100 and I still had the (external of course) 5 1/4 floppy drive for the commodore. It weighed somewhere around 50 lbs I think.
                          dip switches? most of mine had jumpers for DMA and IRQs. I still have old DOS and win 3.1 and 3.11 floppies around here some where. I think I still have an old creative card with built in SCSI on the sound card up in the attic.

Comment

Man the 1st system I had running 3.1 was a freakin Tandy of all things LOL then I got a job @ a computer store so I upgraded to a 486 dx 66 I think it was

Comment

Vista will be viral, only people who get new PCs will have it. With PCs lasting the average user a lot longer these days even that will be tough to wait out.
                              Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

I dunno about a LOT longer. I have seen more OLDER computers that still work than newer. Of all the JUNK pc's I have, most of the ones after 1995 need some serious work if even possible to fix. Every single pc PRE-1995 will still boot up to an OS.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X