No announcement yet.

Help for the Cannon Fodder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried Bender Twin beams and no longer charges but continouosly fires single shots. Its been lamed down considerably.

In DM Stinger and Rox rule, especially the Stinger. Look for most players to come at you with this one big time.

Goliath is about the same but has significantly increased maximum elevation of the barrel. On the current map, Eagle Eyes are really not very challenging even for a tank hater like me. I had to try it and went Unstoppable in one before I knew it. Perch it on the SPMA side and let her rip.

Shock used to be the weapon of choice now I hardly see anybody use it on VCTF. DM is a frag frest with secondary and if you can position yourself near the Shock spawn its a turkey shoot. Shock was the weapon of choice against Raptors and Mantas as well but not so much anymore.

I like the Sniper a lot more than I thought although the lag is very noticable with it; same for Shock.

The Avril seems a bit of a joke at the moment. Requires absolutely no skill at all, instant lock.

Flak works about the same although it has an increased time delay to first shot. Got caught a few times that way, shooting blanks. LOL.

I tested Link and it does not appear to have a maximum range anymore from what I can tell. Good against vehicles.

Manta is significantly improved which is bad since it was already overpowered in UT2k4. Its a monster now!

Raptor is about the same I find. Perhaps a bit more manueverable but its hard to tell on this one map. More splash damage with the primary and since secondary no longer locks on parked vehicles, it makes it quite effective against foots and tanks.

Hoverboard is interesting. Had great fun today with Goat driving the Manta and me hitching a ride. Got a few flags that way.

Storm, I would suggest playing some VCTF first as that is closer to what you are currently used to. DM servers are great fun but the current map selection is not optimum for the player counts on them.

Comment

Raptor doesn't have a "glide" effect anymore. Turns sharper, but isn't as fast. Shok riffle doesn't push as much as it did in 2k4, which I actually like and seriously thought it had way too much of a push effect in 2k4, Rockets seem to be a hair faster, but rabbit would know that one for sure.
      [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Just found out this one and don't see it listed:

If you're driving the scorpion, hit the Shift button for blazing speed boost!

Comment

How do you Eject from the scorpion?

Comment

Game modes not mentioned are DUEL,CTF, and WAR

I think all the game modes are DM, TDM, CTF, VCTF, DUEL, and WAR
            DM - Death Match
            TDM - Team Death Match
            DUEL - Same as TDM but no time limit, must reach a total score
            CTF - Capture the Flag
            VCTF - Vehicle Capture the Flag
            WAR - Warfare which should replace Onslaught with a hint of Assault

The following maps were embedded in one of the .ini files:
            Code:
            MapName=CTF-Strident
            MapName=CTF-OmicronDawn
            MapName=CTF-Coret
            MapName=CTF-Reflection
            MapName=CTF-Hydrosis
            MapName=CTF-Vertebrae
            MapName=vCTF-Necropolis
            MapName=vCTF-Sandstorm
            MapName=vCTF-Kargo
            MapName=vCTF-Containment
            MapName=vCTF-Suspense
            MapName=vCTF-Corruption
            MapName=DM-Arsenal
            MapName=DM-RisingSun
            MapName=DM-CarbonFire
            MapName=DM-Deck
            MapName=DM-Defiance
            MapName=DM-Deimos
            MapName=DM-Diesel
            MapName=DM-Biohazard
            MapName=DM-HeatRay
            MapName=DM-Gateway
            MapName=DM-Fearless
            MapName=DM-Sentinel
            MapName=DM-ShangriLa
            MapName=DM-Sanctuary
            MapName=WAR-TankCrossing
            MapName=WAR-Downtown
            MapName=WAR-Sinkhole
            MapName=WAR-Dusk
            MapName=WAR-Islander
            MapName=WAR-Islander_Necris
            MapName=WAR-MarketDistrict
            MapName=WAR-OnyxCoast
            MapName=WAR-PowerSurge
            MapName=WAR-Serenity
            MapName=WAR-Serenity_Necris <== Looks like this will not be on the PS3 (bRemoveOnPS3=1)
            MapName=WAR-Floodgate
            MapName=WAR-Avalanche
            MapName=WAR-Torlan
            MapName=WAR-Torlan_Necris
            [url=http://profile.xfire.com/nomadicus][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/0/nomadicus.png[/img][/url]

Comment

All excellent information thus far. I really appreciate it!

Originally posted by Nomadicus
              WAR - Warfare which should replace Onslaught with a hint of Assault
              - Next newb question (since I'm on a roll ): What is/was the Onslaught game mode, and what is/was Assault? I have seen some posts about avid UT'ers saying that what they're waiting for is WAR. ... Um, so, ME TOO! (What am I waiting for?)

A lot of this stuff could be compiled to make a pretty nifty guide for UT Dummies. (UTD).

Comment

Originally posted by Storm_Shadow
                - Next newb question (since I'm on a roll ): What is/was the Onslaught game mode, and what is/was Assault? I have seen some posts about avid UT'ers saying that what they're waiting for is WAR. ... Um, so, ME TOO! (What am I waiting for?)

A lot of this stuff could be compiled to make a pretty nifty guide for UT Dummies. (UTD).
                Onslaught is a Control Point game (kinda similar to bf2) where each team tries to capture points, or nodes, around the map. Winning is achieved by destroying a special "power core" in the enemy base. That core is only accessed when you control a node that is directly connected to it, and you can only capture nodes in order. Hence it becomes a back-and forth battle - each team is trying to simultaneously attack the forward node to push to the enemy core, while holding their controlled nodes and preventing them from being taken.

The order of capture (which nodes are tied to which) can be changed, but you cannot "back cap" a node like you could in BF2 - you can only capture nodes that are "linked" to nodes you already own. Added to that, you must destroy non-neutral nodes held by the enemy using any weapon available to you. The more powerful the weapon the faster you can turn it neutral. To capture a node, you need to use the link gun secondary fire (the one you use to heal vehicles) to "heal" the CP in order to capture it for your team.

Warfare adds at least one extra element thats similar to assault mode. In each team's base you have an orb which can be used to insta-cap any node. The caveat is that the orb is only carryable by players on foot or hoverboard, so they may be easy prey for an alert team. If warfare is anything like ONS, it will be a very dynamic game with almost endless replayability given that node capture patterns can be customized by users.

Assault is an Offense vs Defense gametype where one team tries and complete objectives, while the other team tries to stop them from doing it for a certain amount of time.

Hope that sheds some light....and I hope that made some sense

Comment

Here is a pretty good video from Europe showing several maps of onslaught.
                  http://www.own-age.com/vids/11404
                  [url=http://profile.xfire.com/nomadicus][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/0/nomadicus.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Hey I got a question. WTH are those squid guys that show up on the left side of the screen? I assume they're people spotting vehicles...but seriously I keep expecting one of them to yell " Its a trap"

Comment

Originally posted by MajorDeath
                      How do you Eject from the scorpion?
                      When going to use it for a suicide run (spacebar for boost), hit e to jump out! You'll get ejected into the air while the scorpian boosts into the enemy creating a major explosion! I've used this several times against un-aware tank drivers, very fun to use!

Tip with the RL (rocketlauncher)- Double jump with it in different directions. Go forward then sideways, or backwards again! Aim just in front of them, at their feet. The splash damage seems to do more damage then a direct hit with a rocket!
                      [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Sensory and information overload..

This game has more dodads and twists than a mountain road.

Compile all this information together, and will be a Great sticky.
                        ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Finally got in ... thanks again for the location of the input bindings .. I swear I couldn't scroll down thru the list yesterday !!
                          Anyhoo, found it hard to see anything at distance .. I just don't like the gray soup effect of your vision. Couldn't find any weapons but happened upon an RL, then I was fine.
                          I saw Rand and ended up following him wherever he went. He constantly had the flag but I couldn't keep up with him as I was too busy just trying to learn the map and find a gun !! You can't kill very easily with an enforcer.

First impressions ... same fast pace as UT, but I still prefer a vehicle free game. Yes, that is an opinion, and I am entitled to it !! Different strokes, folks ! I just can't get past the graphics ... if Quake 1 was too brown, then UT3 is too gray.
                          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I got an Eagle Eye against Limey tonight.
                            Now if I can just kill Rand before he kills me.
                            Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                            Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                            I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                              Finally got in ... thanks again for the location of the input bindings .. I swear I couldn't scroll down thru the list yesterday !!
                              Anyhoo, found it hard to see anything at distance .. I just don't like the gray soup effect of your vision. Couldn't find any weapons but happened upon an RL, then I was fine.
                              I saw Rand and ended up following him wherever he went. He constantly had the flag but I couldn't keep up with him as I was too busy just trying to learn the map and find a gun !! You can't kill very easily with an enforcer.

First impressions ... same fast pace as UT, but I still prefer a vehicle free game. Yes, that is an opinion, and I am entitled to it !! Different strokes, folks ! I just can't get past the graphics ... if Quake 1 was too brown, then UT3 is too gray.
                              Dual enforcers kill fairly well. Though the secondary sucks.

When you spawn, you're close to weapons racks. There the floating thingys that seem suspended by beams of yellowish light. On this map there are 2 spawn points: a building with 1 way out (and 1 weapon rack inside it) and a more rectangular one with 2 ways out (and 2 weapons racks). RL on top of the flag building and also inside one of the tower sides, Shock rifle in the other tower side, Avril up on the middle level of each tower, and sniper rifles on the ends by the Spammers, and in the middle of the road by the tank spawn.

-Rand

P.S. It was fun killing you, Apache. You got me at least once when I was occupied with something else, so after a while that's when I decided to nuke your tank that one time.
                              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                              Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget

Have you edited the utengine.ini with the graphics tweaks?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X