No announcement yet.

Battle of the MMORPG's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guild Wars is not an MMO, it is a lot closer to Diablo than it is to WoW. Take out the "Massive" component of an MMO, instance everything, dumb it down, and you have Guild Wars.

I don't think you can even compare the two, honestly. There's a reason MMO players don't like Guild Wars and vice versa, they don't appeal to the same crowd.
    [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

why not check out Rohan?

http://www.playrohan.com

Its got graphics kinda like Wow's, its free, its clan based and its got something no other mmorpg has that i know of: hit lists.

The hit list: Clan lvl and Personal lvl is for those that get pked and think the odds were out of their favor. You go too a vengence npc and select who who want to get from your hit list. You are teleported to their location if they are online and in a combat zone. Simply: vengence is sweet.

Comment

i'll try it out
        edit: 1.61 gb!

Comment

Heh it wouldn't be my lead suggestion for nothing.

Thats the one im using now to write some short stories and a few novels. The set up is amazing.

Comment

Guild Wars.

Shhhhhh.

No.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Guild Wars.

Yes.

That's right.

Guild Wars.

Comment

Brian, I hate you.
              I went to that website and got lost in reading WoW articles for an hour and a half.. only just pulled out again :P

Comment

*cough* ROHAN *cough*

Comment

*cough* Warhammer *cough* Picking it up today after I cover for a weekend shift at work, everyone I know playing it (from Dark Age of Camelot, Age of Conan, World of Warcraft) says it kicks complete ass.

I was in the Guild Wars beta, it didn't change much for release from the final beta from what I understand. I didn't like it then, I wouldn't play it now. There's entirely too much instancing and not enough of the open socialization that I like in MMOs. I don't like the feel of GW, personally I don't like WoW, I played DAoC for close to 7 years, AoC for a few months, and I've been in the open beta, if not closed betas for almost every major MMO since 2001. Or played the free week, 2 weeks, whatever the offers are. I know it's all personal opinion though, so arguing over which MMO is best is kind of stupid, you'll never get people to agree on it. You couldn't pay me to play Guild Wars or World of Warcraft, but I'll pay for other MMOs.
                  [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
                  [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

i heard it sux but thats just my circle... including gimmie...

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Killer View Post
                      i heard it sux but thats just my circle... including gimmie...
                      ya

all of the people who i know that played it said it was like wow but with less action (if that was even possible) and Rohan is awesome.

Comment

omg! nerd wars! hide you retainers!

I am personally with Doug, I won't play a game that charges me money.... I can have anything I want if I saved that 15 bucks a month and spent it on something else.... then again, I have no life nor something to spend it on

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmie2 View Post
                          ya

all of the people who i know that played it said it was like wow but with less action (if that was even possible) and Rohan is awesome.

speaking of which... apart from playing CoD4(thats a given) want to meet up on Rohan again?

ALSO: Rohan is free if you dont want to PAY for the game

Comment

Personal opinion on Warhammer Online.
                            This coming from someone who has been playing MMOs since 1996’s UO beta, spent years in the genre, 15k posts on various MMO forums, gaming community coordinator, played on test servers, etc etc.
                            UO, DAOC, CoH, GW, EQ2 were my mainstains with 6+ months in each. AC , AC2, WoW, Eve, and many others under 3 months, but still enough to make an opinion.

WAR is similar to WoW in its functionality. And why wouldn’t it? Yep, it has mailboxes, auction houses and so on… they are just reusing what has been done in the past and works.

Coming from someone who is tired of the standard MMO genre, WAR has a very interesting component in that you can level almost solely on PvP / RvR. You queue up for a scenario, you can run around doing quests and all, once you are up, you go. Or you can do open field siege warfare… all the while, getting good exp.

Ex: I kill a mob solo and get 250xp. I kill a player in a group of 6 and I get 125xp. At the end of the scenario (lasts 5-15 mins), I can get a bonus of 10,000 exp if I win or 5,000 exp if I lost. Plus killing a player has a random change of having a nice loot item drop on his body.

The PvP is fast, its fun, its open. The classes are pretty well balanced. As typical with Mythic, one realm is not a copy of the other (like in WoW where you had the same Mage class on either side). So nerf cries are abundant.

The game is still an MMO and I won’t be playing this for years to come. But it does appeal to a different group of people, those who love PvP. But…it also has some good PvE, Public Story based chapter quests and so on. Next to no zoning, taking a mount from the flight master just has a cut scene to load instead of you sitting on the mount for 45 mins as you fly from zone to zone.

Will the game last? I think so. Smooth launch, well received by the player base, Mythic has been on the ball on fixing issues (unlike Funcom with AoC, which I also played).

And Thrash is right about Guild Wars not being an MMO. Its not massive. Having 300 people in town doesn’t make it massive. All it is is a graphical representation of BattleNet for Diablo where instead of just finding groups in a search list, you can move around with your toon. Everything else is instanced, which is why I really did not like the game. Same reason CoH didn’t last with me.
                            [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
                            So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

Rohan is hitting MMO lvls but its hitting a slight depression n members right now. It has all the standard things WoW has, but it has some features that are different. I dont want to explain again right now

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Killer View Post
                                Rohan is hitting MMO lvls but its hitting a slight depression n members right now. It has all the standard things WoW has, but it has some features that are different. I dont want to explain again right now
                                but best of all.... IT IS

FREE
                                and no im not playing it right now.... remember i got hacked.... all 5 of my players got taken and my pass and recovery question were changed

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X