No announcement yet.

Psssst.... KOTH/HQ Test Server up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It takes FOREVER to spawn when you have the HQ.

Any chance we can rotate through some of the other game modes for kicks (and challenges )? I haven't played anything other than the Lair, and it would be nice to see what the other modes look like.

-Rand
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Standard HQ rules if you die after your team has captured the headquarters, you don't respawn until after current headquarters is gone. This can be changed via cfg.

You can run multiple gametypes on one map rotation. Cain, if you want a copy of a map rotation with HQ, S & D, and Sabotage, I can pm you one that you can then modify as you see fit.

The one thing I dislike about Hardcore is you die from one bullet, whether it be a handgun or a sniper; otherwise it's a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR}
        Forever is a bit of a stretch... it never takes more than 60 seconds. I guess that's why I find HQ fun. It gives you a reason to play a little differently than when it's TDM. It's a mad scramble to take the HQ first, then once you take it you have to switch to defensive tactics because your life is now more valuable.

It does suck when you're taking the HQ and you get naded right as your alive teammates take the HQ, but that just means you need to make sure the coast is clear before taking the HQ....

Comment

Originally posted by L_Mo
          Forever is a bit of a stretch... it never takes more than 60 seconds. I guess that's why I find HQ fun. It gives you a reason to play a little differently than when it's TDM. It's a mad scramble to take the HQ first, then once you take it you have to switch to defensive tactics because your life is now more valuable.

It does suck when you're taking the HQ and you get naded right as your alive teammates take the HQ, but that just means you need to make sure the coast is clear before taking the HQ....
          This man.....he is full of truthiness

I find HQ tends to ratchet up the tension in-game far beyond what TDM is capable of, without the utter frustration of S&D (aka CS). You have to be careful not to waste your life, but you never have to wait THAT long to get back into the action. Basically it turns into a lot of little mini-S&D rounds, where the excitement remains intact, but the harsh punishment for failure does not.

I'll just reiterate though, I think a lot of people get turned off on HQ because not all the maps work in HQ mode. Long and narrow generally means you are at the mercy of the "random" HQ placement. Crossfire, Wetworks, Downpour, and Bog all make for a less than stellar HQ experience. Oddly enough, Ambush seems to work OK because it has multiple paths (even though it is somewhat long and narrow), as does Bloc (because most of the HQ placements are in the middle).

And hardcore might be OK for TDM or S&D, but its absolutely horrid for HQ. Hardcore forces people to camp, and HQ is the most anti-camping mode in the game. Plus Hardcore (in my experience) tends to lead to even more spam (unless FF is on), because even errant bullets can easily get you kills.

Comment

What is the status on this server? Can't find it.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonFire

This man.....he is full of truthiness

I find HQ tends to ratchet up the tension in-game far beyond what TDM is capable of, without the utter frustration of S&D (aka CS). You have to be careful not to waste your life, but you never have to wait THAT long to get back into the action. Basically it turns into a lot of little mini-S&D rounds, where the excitement remains intact, but the harsh punishment for failure does not.

I'll just reiterate though, I think a lot of people get turned off on HQ because not all the maps work in HQ mode. Long and narrow generally means you are at the mercy of the "random" HQ placement. Crossfire, Wetworks, Downpour, and Bog all make for a less than stellar HQ experience. Oddly enough, Ambush seems to work OK because it has multiple paths (even though it is somewhat long and narrow), as does Bloc (because most of the HQ placements are in the middle).

And hardcore might be OK for TDM or S&D, but its absolutely horrid for HQ. Hardcore forces people to camp, and HQ is the most anti-camping mode in the game. Plus Hardcore (in my experience) tends to lead to even more spam (unless FF is on), because even errant bullets can easily get you kills.
              I personally think the respawn could be around 15-25 seconds. Not too long but long enough to make the player learn to survive and to kill!
              [url="http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/19030358"]Dracontius - North America - Summoners - League of Legends Statistics - lolking.net[/url] - My LoL stats etc

[URL="http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b6dbfab44e82"]http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b6dbfab44e82[/URL] - Use link if you want to play League of Legends.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonNTheRose
                I personally think the respawn could be around 15-25 seconds. Not too long but long enough to make the player learn to survive and to kill!
                You're right, a shorter respawn like that would increase the perceived value of the players' life... However, there is a second reason the defending team can't respawn: The point of HQ is that the attacking team is -supposed- to take the HQ quickly, so the "hotpoint" of the action keeps moving. If the defenders respawn in 15 seconds, it'll be -really- hard for the attacking team to ever re-capture the HQ and the HQ will just timeout...

Also (just thought of this point): if the defending team respawns, they respawn -at- the HQ, whereas the attacking team respawns quite a bit further away... so again the defending team has the advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonNTheRose
                  You're right, a shorter respawn like that would increase the perceived value of the players' life... However, there is a second reason the defending team can't respawn: The point of HQ is that the attacking team is -supposed- to take the HQ quickly, so the "hotpoint" of the action keeps moving. If the defenders respawn in 15 seconds, it'll be -really- hard for the attacking team to ever re-capture the HQ and the HQ will just timeout...

Also (just thought of this point): if the defending team respawns, they respawn -at- the HQ, whereas the attacking team respawns quite a bit further away... so again the defending team has the advantage.
                  Well I have respawned but I never respawn near the HQ...Always in the middle of map. I'll try again soon and see how close to HQ I am.
                  [url="http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/19030358"]Dracontius - North America - Summoners - League of Legends Statistics - lolking.net[/url] - My LoL stats etc

[URL="http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b6dbfab44e82"]http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b6dbfab44e82[/URL] - Use link if you want to play League of Legends.

Comment

Is this server still up and running? It worked the other night but it doesn't I can't find it now.

Comment

It was still up last night, but nobody was on it. It made me sad. I usually jump on it until it dies, then switch to the TDM server.

BTW, I wouldn't mind trying some of the other modes as well.
                      [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

It should be up ...

Comment

Server was working fine then it kicked me, unlisted again. 10 minutes ago.

Comment

Noticed last night it wasn't on Master Server list but was there when you typed in ip. TDM server would only show up in Master Server list if you hit Refresh about 4 or 5 times.

Comment

Server is still down any ideas??

Comment

ignore my previous post please it is up

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X