No announcement yet.

Rooftops....Yea or Nay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't read the whole thread but I voted and my .02 is this.

Both sides can achieve the same thing.

I played on the rooftops for the first time today on fall of berlin.

We were sniping from the top and the guys at the bottom were sniping us. Not only that the opposing side got their guys on top as well and were sniping us in return.

If one side had a distinct advantage over the other I would have participated.

Frank

Comment

correction: "I wouldn't have participated"

Comment

Just play the game.
        [img]http://uncledumpysnuts.com/UT/KROIL.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by WW_KROIL
          Just play the game.
          I agree ...

KROIL what's up bud ??? Long time no see ...

Comment

no problem with it if you have good enuff team work to get there do what you want...
            Apparently my BF EA manager name is "AwesomeFK" If anyone knows how to change that let me know.
            BF4: Awesome FK
            Steam ID: henry06x
            Xbox Live: H3llboundH3ro v
            X henry06x

Comment

lol

this reminds me of when BF 2 started having Vehicle drops for commander after patch update

the jeeps destroyed... Artillery.....roof top snipers.....damaged APCs and Damaged Tanks ..people on a flag trying to capture it

some people biztched and biztched hey man thats exploiting IM gonna go tell my mommie Bofe on you.....

om gosh we all just waited for a fix on the next patch ...but all the adult players did it

Comment

I agree with Apache. A team got on a VERY tall roof. I took my Zeller and had TONS of fun shooting off heads. Exploit? Once you know they are up there, it is a turkey shoot to me.

But I agree that on Berlin, breaking out is a royal pain. Actually got a -2 points on one round that we were owned so badly on. Did find a way to break out after lots of experimenting, but you need to be the squad leader, and get just a little lucky. (Or #2 Have Commander temp clear a path for you using orbital strike)

Having said that, I can see where at least getting on a roof would allow the team to do SOMETHING other than die a gloriously useless death, over and over. A well managed PAC can totally block any attempts at breakout on Berlin for the most part. I won't do the roof thing, but you can see where it would be attractive to a hemmed in team.

Dead_And_Gone
                ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_And_Gone
                  Having said that, I can see where at least getting on a roof would allow the team to do SOMETHING other than die a gloriously useless death, over and over. A well managed PAC can totally block any attempts at breakout on Berlin for the most part. I won't do the roof thing, but you can see where it would be attractive to a hemmed in team.

Dead_And_Gone
                  Point of clarification, it's the PAC who starts with just the uncap, and the EU that has everything else. So a well managed EU team can block breakouts. Same goes for Camp Gibraltar, Minsk, and Cerbere Landing. There isn't a single like map for the PAC, where they start out with a stronger position than the EU.

-Rand
                  [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                  Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

At first I could care less about ppl on the roofs, but as of late it frustrates me more and more. I've been on them from time to time myself, so I'm guilty also. However the more I see people do it, the weaker I think it is. Belgrade and FoB especially. It's kind of lame guys can spam chuck nades, apm's, RDX, and sentry guns over and over and over etc. and there's really not a whole lot you can do. Sure, it's probably a wet dream for the sniper on the ground picking them off, but that doesn't solve the fact that they'll undoubtedly be back via beacon to resume the raining of more explosives and the like.
                    Blowing the beacon up as commander is also a bit easier said than done. Sometimes you miss it and it falls through the arti cracks. And sometimes it's not visible or on the ground next to the building. Even if you do get it, it's usually only a matter of minutes before people are back up there anyways.

I'm not sure I'd call it an exploit, but all in all it's kind of a cheap way to rack up points. As I've said I've been up there before, but at this point I'm over it. If I'm in a squad with a beacon up there I'll either immediately jump off, or spawn some place else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR}

Dead_And_Gone
                      Point of clarification, it's the PAC who starts with just the uncap, and the EU that has everything else. So a well managed EU team can block breakouts. Same goes for Camp Gibraltar, Minsk, and Cerbere Landing. There isn't a single like map for the PAC, where they start out with a stronger position than the EU.

-Rand
                      rand i agree but in every map but fall of berlin there are multiple roots around things. Cerbere landing has at least 6 routes and a squad can get through,Gibraltar while harder still has at least 4 areas and there aren't any apcs to spawn camp the area. Minisk i can't remember which one that is. The other ones i can at least get around 1 out of 5 times. Once you figure out where they are protecting find the hole, this can't be done in berlin as there is only 3 routes. A good spawn beacon and a full squad can usually do alot of harm ... or at least pull people away from the main action so that it weakens the front.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler

Dead_And_Gone

-Rand
                        rand i agree but in every map but fall of berlin there are multiple roots around things. Cerbere landing has at least 6 routes and a squad can get through,Gibraltar while harder still has at least 4 areas and there aren't any apcs to spawn camp the area. Minisk i can't remember which one that is. The other ones i can at least get around 1 out of 5 times. Once you figure out where they are protecting find the hole, this can't be done in berlin as there is only 3 routes. A good spawn beacon and a full squad can usually do alot of harm ... or at least pull people away from the main action so that it weakens the front.
                        FoB is terrible because there is little chance to break through reguardless of 'skill' or teamwork. What happens 98% of the time is this.

The eastern pass for the PAC is spammed with nades all round long making is suicide to even think about going there.

The middle is camped by every sniper on the map + standard infantry + mines. Its coverable from nearly every spot along the crossroad.

The western alley is usually camped by either a walker or a APC and a full squad of EU. Typically the EU squad ends up in the ruined building or at the bldg that looks directly into the PAC uncap. Note the APC/walker can barrage the piss out of the crossroads while watching the western alley. It makes a frontal assualt retardedly difficult and with the fence built between the bldgs just past the west alley its not possible to effectively assualt from there either.

The only true hope the PAC has is to somehow get over the eastern edge and passed the crossroads and back cap some flags. At that point the EU will generally drop back and try to recap. From there the PAC can take crossroads, and usually when that happens the PAC takes atleast 2 more.

But that happens 2% of the time.

Comment

I don't understand EA's thought processes.
                          For example on Titan, Minsk has all of the Silos neutral at the start. On Conquest the EU has all of the flags. The map would have been a great map if both sides started out with all silos neutral.
                          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler

Dead_And_Gone

-Rand
                            Minisk i can't remember which one that is.
                            Minsk is the snowy one with the tall buildings on one side. The PAC starts at the eastern end, and there is a bridge chokepoint leading to the first flag, with two towers flanking it and those strange covered walkway/trenches. If the EU team is halfway decent, the ONLY way to bypass this chokepoint is by putting squad leaders on the attack jet and using it to get behind the lines, bail, and set up beacons. EU has EVERY flag in this map by the way, and within about 45 seconds can have 2 walkers and 4 tanks at the chokepoint, and 2 apcs.

The jet thing happens maybe 1 time in 10 or 20, because most of the time some moron or other gets the jet and proceeds to get it blown up or tries to attack the chokepoint for useless kills.

-Rand
                            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Minsk is the snowy one with the tall buildings on one side. The PAC starts at the eastern end, and there is a bridge chokepoint leading to the first flag, with two towers flanking it and those strange covered walkway/trenches. If the EU team is halfway decent, the ONLY way to bypass this chokepoint is by putting squad leaders on the attack jet and using it to get behind the lines, bail, and set up beacons. EU has EVERY flag in this map by the way, and within about 45 seconds can have 2 walkers and 4 tanks at the chokepoint, and 2 apcs.

The jet thing happens maybe 1 time in 10 or 20, because most of the time some moron or other gets the jet and proceeds to get it blown up or tries to attack the chokepoint for useless kills.

-Rand
                              Every single time I play Minsk as PAC, I camp the Gunship to get to the back flags if no one else has. I've played that map over 60 times on conquest, and I think I spawned at the "infantry spawn point" at the first flag a total of once. Its just a useless place to get a few kills while you watch your team get raped, so I tend to avoid that area. The map does get a bit better once the PAC gets a back flag, but even then it becomes a ring-around-the-rosie CP hopping map.

Minsk is a pretty screwed up map though. Like most of the Conquest Assault maps, the EU controls most if not all the maps. This is (I believe) is DICE trying to stay accurate to their futuristic psuedo-WWII redux storyline. The PAC is attacking the EU in the same way Germany attacked the rest of Europe, so the EU is on the defensive. Thats why they don't have uncaps, thus (theroetically) allowing the PAC the ability to win the map by taking all the points. Rarely happens, but its something the defenders have to worry about.

And now
                              The roofs of most of the buildings on FoB are too high to just safely chuck nades over the edge to get kills. You HAVE to look over the edge, which means you can shoot them. Perhaps they can get revived, but thats when you go on the roof to counter them (or get the Commander to orbstrike them). Just throw down a beacon near an adjecent building and spin towards the roof when you spawn. It really doesnt take much to match the roof campers, thats why it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Perhaps its a big deal on Belgrade and other maps with shorter buildings. I just don't see people on the roof having that much effect on the battlefield - except perhaps that the PAC gets another possible route out of the annoying roadblock on Berlin.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X