No announcement yet.

Rooftops....Yea or Nay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If EA meant for us to get on roof tops then anyone could when they wanted to. In this case it's an unintended side effect of the beacons.

Since everyone in a squad can't just get on a building I don't think it's an honorable tactic. If I could just lay a beacon next to your building and guarantee my entire squad could land on top and fight you, then maybe. That's not the case, it's hit or miss and while not totally illegal somewhat immoral.

And yes you can shoot people off of the buildings but they can still spawn back up there if they have a beacon. Plus on Berlin they can parachute down on the flag, another non-intentional means for taking that flag.

I hope they just slope the roof tops so you slide off for those 10 story buildings. If you can't pod out of an APC on it you shouldn't be on it.

Comment

If EA meant for us to get on roof tops then anyone could when they wanted to.
      If God had meant for us to run around without any clothes on we would have been born that way.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior
        If God had meant for us to run around without any clothes on we would have been born that way.
        Apache
        No we would all just go blind as you ran in front of us

Comment

Well, personally, I find it kind of annoying, but IMO it should be allowed. As has been pointed out before:
          1. any squad can do it.
          2. it is easily combated.
          For these two reasons, I don't feel that it gives anyone an unfair advantage.

In fact, it is sometimes a disadvantage. I was playing last night on Berlin, and there were 3 enemy squads on 3 different roofs. They probably got some extra kills, but as a result of them camping on the roofs, we won the round.

One question, though: You can control the beacon pods? I didn't think you could control those.
          [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler
            Apache
            No we would all just go blind as you ran in front of us

Comment

I think that we need to really sit back and first of all, define exactly what a glitch is, what makes a particular glitch "tactic" unfair. Then decide if in fact the glitch is a game mechanic that is unfair to all. And what is the difference between a glitch, exploit and a "game mechanic" issue. IF EA/DICE decides that it is an unfair glitch or exploit, then they will issue a patch for it, and it disappears. But until a universal, one size fits all definition of the terms mentioned is created, then we need to adapt and overcome the problem.

IMHO, not every tactic using game mechanics is technically unfair. I agree the use of bots, dolphin diving, and other gamey tactics, which are technically glitches, are unfair. But I've learned how to counter them. That is what makes this game so enjoyable. There is always more than one way to accomplish the same task.

IF you consider battling from a rooftop "gamey, a glitch that should not be used, or unfair" then you should also complain about the PAC tank being able to strafe sideway and circle strafe as a "glitch or gamey tactic" since the EU tank can't. I'm not...

Again, before this debate even goes further, we need to decide the questions proposed in the first paragraph. What is a glitch and when does it become an exploit.

EICAS

Comment

Originally posted by EICAS{CLR}
                I think that we need to really sit back and first of all, define exactly what a glitch is, what makes a particular glitch "tactic" unfair. Then decide if in fact the glitch is a game mechanic that is unfair to all. And what is the difference between a glitch, exploit and a "game mechanic" issue. IF EA/DICE decides that it is an unfair glitch or exploit, then they will issue a patch for it, and it disappears. But until a universal, one size fits all definition of the terms mentioned is created, then we need to adapt and overcome the problem.

IMHO, not every tactic using game mechanics is technically unfair. I agree the use of bots, dolphin diving, and other gamey tactics, which are technically glitches, are unfair. But I've learned how to counter them. That is what makes this game so enjoyable. There is always more than one way to accomplish the same task.

IF you consider battling from a rooftop "gamey, a glitch that should not be used, or unfair" then you should also complain about the PAC tank being able to strafe sideway and circle strafe as a "glitch or gamey tactic" since the EU tank can't. I'm not...

Again, before this debate even goes further, we need to decide the questions proposed in the first paragraph. What is a glitch and when does it become an exploit.

EICAS
                The PAC Tank is a hover tank, a non treaded vehicle. It was explictitly in DICE's design to allow it more manuverability as opposed to the older, more conventional EU tank. I don't see how that relates to roof camping or the "creative" use of game mechanics at all. If we were meant to get on roofs there would be a way for everyone reguardless of being in a squad or not to get up there.

Comment

IF EA/DICE decides that it is an unfair glitch or exploit, then they will issue a patch for it, and it disappears.
                  We can hope, but its EA where talking about here... break 2 things to fix 1.
                  During beta i myself duplicated a titan exploit. Told DICE step by step how to do it. Took screenshots. Needless to say they either cant fix it or wont fix it.

wiki 4tw would be a good time for a smily...
                  good threads
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glitching

Noun
                  Singular
                  exploit

Past participle
                  exploited

Present participle
                  exploiting

to exploit (third-person singular simple present exploits, present participle exploiting, simple past exploited, past participle exploited)

1. To use for one's own advantage.

[edit] Synonyms

* (use for one's own advantage): take advantage of, use

Comment

Configm, Yes I know that and am very well aware of it. The point I was trying to make, and seem to have not done so, was this.

Just because not everyone can not do it, does not in my honest opinion make it something that we need to eliminate or ban. Therefore, if Dice did not make it off limits, or not within the realm of play, then as far as I know, it is allowed. UNLESS, note the word unless, it becomes an exploit or other "unfair" game breaking or modifying issue. For example, in BF2, people would get on top of roofs, when Friendly Fire was off, by exploding C4 underneath them to lauch them skywards. Could not be done with FF on. Hence in my opinon, an exploit. They exploited the games' mechanics to seek an unfair advantage which was not present under all conditions. Now, getting on top of the roof, by jumping on top of a VOD, then on the gun mount, and then a sign support to get on top of the roofs, not an exploit nor unfair advantage, as it was a "creative" use of the game mechanics of the game, regardless of the server setup or any other factor. Now, as far as I can determine, the roof top issue, is the use of a game mechanic in a creative way. Now, would we be against it, if we could use that type of mechanic to get aboard the enemy titan??? (Humm, never thought of that use for the droid til now, or has anyone even seen it done???).. or postion ourselves to attack the defenses of it???

Again, my question still remains...by what definitions are we going by as asked in the first paragraph of my post.

EICAS..

Comment

Again, my question still remains...by what definitions are we going by as asked in the first paragraph of my post.
                      Glitching is the controversial practice of finding and exploiting flaws in modern video games to achieve something that was not intended by the game designers. Gamers who engage in this practice are known as glitchers (or cheaters, depending on whether or not you agree with glitching.) Glitchers can be found on console video games as well as computer games. With the advent of high speed multiplayer gaming in the form of services such as Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, glitching has grown in popularity. Despite this gain in popularity, glitching is still considered a subculture of gaming and has retained a negative image in the eyes of many gamers.

Why Do People Glitch?

Glitchers do not see themselves as cheaters and many times do not even use their glitches to gain an advantage in games. Glitchers see their exploits as fair and believe that "if it is in the game, and anybody can do it, it is legal." While the "fairness of glitches" is still debated, rarely do programmers make such a grievous mistake that it creates a glitch that is "undefeatable". Glitches often involve jumping to places that are above the normal plane of vision of other players. Many glitches are areas obscured from sight by walls that have no "barrier physics" to them, that is, they appear to be solid but aren't and thus allow players to walk into them and remain hidden. Glitches vary in their usefulness in multiplayer games, from areas a glitcher can get trapped in to places where snipers can shoot from but cannot be shot themselves. Often times, entering a glitch requires the performance of actions that leave a player exposed for a period of time that makes it hard to enter without being seen or killed.
                      Thats the best definition i could find.

Comment

Okay, I agree with that definition. So, now does using equipment in the game, the recon droid, to get on top of the roof top a glitch???

And can we say that the use to do so, a use of the said equipment in this manner exploiting a flaw to achieve something that was not intended by the game designers???

EICAS

Comment

Originally posted by EICAS{CLR}
                          EICAS..
                          Just try to jump on a building placing a beacon, let me know if you can move the POD like in the titan.

Just aim and you will be in the roof. its just like that easy.

Comment

SLSB Pods are not steerable.
                            Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                            Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                            I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

SLSB Pods are not steerable.
                              Apache
                              So explain how they get into the roof?

Isnt a easy thing like they say?

Comment

it drops you randomly in a radius around the beacon so you have to take your chances of hitting the roof or missing and likely getting owned since you land right in the middle of the enemy most of the time.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X