No announcement yet.

How are my friends in NY, NJ ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obama should have stayed to help shovel some snow.... guess he only dropped by for a photo opp
    [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

I got power back after 3 days... I think its because last October's storm we were out of power for a week, they were trying to make up for it (people who had gotten power back sooner previously had to be without power longer)... No worries, I am just joking, not a conspiracy theorist.

The bigger problem was that I handle IT for a call center/alarm monitoring agency in the tri-state area with approximately 450 clients, and 350 of them were without power and/or phone service. Add to that that many of them were borough utilities offices, medical offices with people needing refills and follow up appointments, and disaster recovery/service companies. At 2 AM on Tuesday (when the storm hit most of the area) I got a call that one of our PRI's was out... We have 2 PRI's with diverse routing for that reason, and a SIP trunk for failover, 2 generators, and countless other redundancies to keep us up in the event of a disaster... But when I got that call, I knew we had a 24 channel reduction in talk paths... It cause a whole host of other problems, and so we ended up having every station staffed (including me) taking calls through the following Monday.

You would not believe the calls you get during a storm... Granted, a good deal of them are legitimate issues, but I had people calling trying to get wood they cut and arranged removed from their properties (while people had trees down on their houses), people complaining that they had no power (join the club), someone wanting to make sure their tee-time at the golf course was still on for Saturday, etc.... the list goes on and on.....

Luckily, we got through it... and since we charge by traffic, we will be able to recoup the cost of the extra staffing, and the stress on those staff. I just think it was stressful because even though I had no power at home (oh and the cell towers went down within 12 hours, no calls in or out of the valley I live in for days), my biggest worry was at work... Still not fun to come home to a dark, cold house though.

I guess that's what wives, whiskey, and canned goods are for.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
        I heard that 1000's of amish are still out of power in PA.
        I heard the same thing !!

Comment

im on day 13 no power

Comment

We got power back, thank god
            K3BASFM. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
            sigpic

Support Cainslair. Donate here! Cain's Lair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Minerva View Post

Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

No more gas rationing in NJ now

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                  I heard that 1000's of amish are still out of power in PA.
                  Did they email you with that info?
                  [hlx]

Comment

Originally posted by Azalea View Post
                    Did they email you with that info?
                    carrier pigon kinda like KP

Comment

Yup, gas lines getting back to normal, now I can stop worrying about driving anywhere far.
                      [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

Originally posted by Minerva View Post
                        Awesome. Took them long enough though.

Glad it's back up.

-Rand
                        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                          Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X