Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT3 Goes Gold! And Finally a Release Date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Its about time!

Hopefully we'll get the real demo this week. I don't think we have to worry about Epic putting out a crappy UT game. They were all good, and offered more contain than any other game I have every played.

Comment

Even Microsoft has pressure to release their latest and greatest before all the bugs are fixed. It's all about the money.

If you can get out a product FIRST before the Head-To-Head like competition, then you Should have a leg up and never look back.
        At least that is what the corporate thinking heads view is.

EA put out a product that had severe problems (2142), and never
        really fixed it. New Exploits found day to day. But they HAD to release it to the public, or else spend more money in the computer labs fixing it than it would bring in profit wise.

It comes down to the integrity of the company really. Are they willing to sully their reputation to put out an inferior product? Or the pressure of corporate boardroom guys/Stockholders pushes it out before it is really ready?

I'm still optimistic that UT will be a buffed and fun product when released.
        ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR}
          Originally posted by MajorDeath
          I have faith in Epic that this will be a great game. I do wounder how you think a Wii game is going to compete with a PC game. They are not very much geared towards the same gamer audience at all.
          Because there are a lot of people like me who like different types of games, own a Wii, and will be buying Mario Galaxy on date of release. But think of it more like movie releases. When something big comes along, like say, a Spiderman movie, NOTHING wants anything to do with that week or the one after it unless there is no other choice.

Mario's sales are going to completely kick UT's ass, and they should know it. I would have thought they'd give it at least 1 more week. They'd still catch the prime holiday sales period even.

-Rand
          Mario isn't the only game in town. Sure its big. But what's the overlap between Hardcore UT3/PC gamers and Wii owners? I can't imagine its very large. Different markets, different expectations. Now if you were releasing a Wii game.....then you could kiss all your sales goodbye.

Of course Mario will sell more....the installed base is larger and its geared to have a much wider appeal. Doesn't mean it will leach many gamers away from the UT3 launch.

Now, Crysis, Mass Effect (xbox360), GOW PC and Assassins Creed might though. Not to mention UT3 still has to fight for attention with COD4, TF2 & ET:QW on the mp side of things. Let's hope they polish the heck out of it....because right now, that's about the only thing that will allow it to rise above the fray (and even that will be hard, considering how rock solid TF2 is and COD4 is likely to be).

Comment

Originally posted by ~SAS~LIMEY
            the new software business ethos is to sell first based on strength of title and slowly fix later.
            Unless you are EA, where you kind of fix the game then release a new one so fast that you hope that everyone forgets the previous title.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos[X
              ]Its about time!

Hopefully we'll get the real demo this week. I don't think we have to worry about Epic putting out a crappy UT game. They were all good, and offered more contain than any other game I have every played.
              Actually, I would argue that UT2k3 was pretty mediocre. Sure, it had a ton of content, but even Epic themselves recognized they screwed it up. That's why they included all the maps in 2k4, and offered a $10 rebate for those who had both. UT99 and 2k4 are some of the best games ever, but Epic isn't always on target.

The gameplay of the UT3 beta demo is better than 2k3, but we haven't seen Warfare yet, and they have to make some pretty significant improvements to basic things like the server browser. We can hope they have done so, but it remains to be seen.

Ideally it's much more 2k4 than 2k3 overall.

-Rand
              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
              Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

[quote="Rand{CLR}"]
                Originally posted by Kronos[X
                ]they have to make some pretty significant improvements to basic things like the server browser.
                -Rand
                the server browser is absolutely painful :X

but isnt because they put it into the hands of gamespy? correct me if im wrong here guys.

in any regard, i wish they would take some hints from valve's steam platform, better yet, i wish they would use steams platform.

Comment

GameSpy didn't code the server browser. But, Epic is using GameSpy Technology and is hooking into their systems. So, it is new technology for Epic to be programming for. In the past they have built these types of subsystems themselves.
                  --Slaughter

Comment

im getting a little off topic here, but whos system did epic use when they made ut2003 and ut2004?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzbunny
                      im getting a little off topic here, but whos system did epic use when they made ut2003 and ut2004?
                      AFAIK they rolled their own. Not sure why they decided to go with the craptacular Gamespy, except perhaps that the $$$ blinded them to logic and reason (or they just ran out of time to make their own).

Comment

Agreed, the only reasons to use that gamspy stuff is no coding time and extra funding. The game will be bought anyway.

Does someone know if the UK Version of the game is UNCUT?
                        In Germany they have cut out the blood, body parts destruction and ragdoll physics.
                        Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

We never get cut down versions here in the UK.

Comment

I thought it was the 16th of Nov ?

Comment

For Germany its said to be the 12th. But I won't buy the cut version.
                              Even if they call it collectors edition and add 2 extra characters to it.

Just fear amazon,co.uk will take ages to deliver it...
                              Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

Originally posted by Grisu
                                For Germany its said to be the 12th. But I won't buy the cut version.
                                Even if they call it collectors edition and add 2 extra characters to it.

Just fear amazon,co.uk will take ages to deliver it...
                                Play.com is your friend. Amazon's delivery times suck beyond belief.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X