No announcement yet.

What makes a Successful Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rand had the right idea for engie-guarded nests. Pyros are great for them, so long the pyro does it smart. Run in, and take out the engineer... position yourself so that your overspray will damage the nest, while killing the engineer.

Even nests with 2 or 3 engineers become unmanned and quite vulnerable then blowing up before uber's gone.

Also, for the pyros who can't seem to get a medic to follow them in, run in anyway. If you can drop down right in front, or round a corner and get right in front, you can circle strafe a sentry gun and kill it with it barely hitting you. At the very least, take out the engineer so an uber behind you can do more damage. Pyros, scouts, and medics are the only classes that can do this, and it's easiest for pyros.

Now, geneSW. I love you, lots of good advice around, but that placement diagram I find helps the other team more. THAT particular corner is vulnerable to a demo who knows what they are doing. You can have a demo down by the health spawn just a bit before, and just barely squeeze your pipe bombs between the walls looking that way and will take out outwards-placed and left placed sentries. The ONLY safe sentry is the right-nested ones you say are bad. In my opinion, as someone who frequently removes those, the first should be on the right, a second on the left or in the middle and staggered forward or back.

/rant on
    Another note for the demo's (my second best class)... experiment with, and find where you can lob over things. You can take out a LOT of great sentry places by lobbing over roofs, and I RARELY see demos even trying. They prefer to lob forward and try bouncing around corners, when lobbing over a roof makes for a direct, and much more damaging hit. Learn your pipe bomb and stickies, so you know their path. Learn your stage layouts. Run in as a pyro for a suicide push to find placements of buildables, switch to demo, and use the air to your advantage to take out the buildables. You can't always jump onto or over things, but your bombs will still make it! If you CAN'T get a bomb over, THEN find the best place you can bounce them. Forward doesn't work most of the time. If you're demo, put on hit sounds (options->multiplayer->advanced) so you can hear when your bombs do hit.
    /rant off

---

And Roffe, thank you!

Teleporter Priority:
    #1 - Engineer
    They keep their nest up. Let them through. You want the dispenser and sentry to be there when YOU go through, right? When 1 minute or less is left on the clock though, you lose all priority... stay at spawn, keeping the tele up!

#2 - Medic
    Required. Medics are better running and getting up uber, but if they need to get there, let them. They bump up to #1 with less than 1 minute left.

#3 - Heavy, Soldier, Demo
    They are slow, let them pass. If the demo is wearing a chargin' targe and eyelander, you drop to scout level (not being mean, but you're notably faster without taking damage, and well equipped to check for spies enroute, since you are all for single and up-close kills).

#4 - Pyro, Sniper, Spy
    Faster classes, which can run if needed. Pyro jumps to #2 with less than a minute left. Why? They are the last ones standing when the enemy goes 8 pyros to clear the cart, and the best equipped to clear the cart.

#5 - Enemy Spy
    So they can get closer to people who can kill them. Not someone you want taking it, but its still a better selection than...

#6 - Scout
    /rant on
    Unless there are less than 20 seconds left and that cart is a long way from the end, or the round's in overtime and you're attacking and the cart is RIGHT there, if you see more than 1 person waiting, run. I watched the SAME scout keep a medic off the tele yesterday, three times, then an engineer who lost their nest before he could get through after... the scout was harangued by the medic who couldn't get through, and then the scout left. It was a regular (albeit not CLR), so they'll be back.
    /rant off

If there's several level 3 tele's, this is all moot. But if there's 1 tele or only a few level 1's, please, for the sake of your team, follow it.

---

Now, snipers... you have a job to do, and do it well (most of you anyway, lol). When there's only a few seconds left, and the cart is 3 feet from the last point, get out of your perch and either stop the cart if you're defending, or push it if you're attacking. I hate seeing the overtime timer tick down, as I'm rushing to get to the cart, to pass a sniper just before the cart, who's still sniping. This has been the case in many rounds lost.

Comment

Originally posted by baconoclock View Post
      Use dispenser to block the doorway behind you. Teammates can go straight through your dispenser but you and any spies cant go through objects. So if you see a 'friendly' on top of your dispenser, or someone trying to walk through it and getting stuck, its a spy.
      Major Downfall to this i want to point out, there arent to many good spy's out there but the best ones will use your dispenser as a shield(sentry wont shoot through it) and then snipe you in the head. I know i do this as well as 2-3 other spies on our server.

Originally posted by Heceldi View Post
      Teleporter Priority:
      #1 - Engineer
      #2 - Medic
      #3 - Heavy, Soldier, Demo
      #4 - Pyro, Sniper, Spy
      #5 - Enemy Spy
      #6 - Scout
      Alright why do people hate on scouts are we the fastest class yes, but does it also take precious time to run to the front lines YES! There are not that many scouts on a 32 player server and when there are that usualy means they are good. that means let them go.
      My opinion the only thing that gets tele priority is the engi.

Comment

I have a very bad habit of being a front line medic and dying way too much.

For all you aspiring uber medics DON'T DO THAT !!!

as stated early...
        Medic's are the first class targeted by the enemy. Please protect them, as they can make a BIG difference on how your team performs. Spie's love them, snipers want them, everyone kills them.. lol

I seem to put myself in harms way too much...NOT GOOD !!.

and as pyro... I will ALWAYS seek out the engineer who knows where to build and just sit on the dispenser, yes it gets boring just flaming but I have seen the attic and roof held for long periods of time. Spies simply get burned coming through the teleporters or turning corners.

on the roof.... I like when Eng builds against the AC unit or container facing the capture point with teleporter on left ( small space for pyro to stand ) and the dispenser close on the right...sentry ahead within flaming distance. It becomes very easy to constantly flame all 3 to defend, not to mention its a great angle to blow ubers and various spam off the roof.

Comment

pyros, or anyone of that matter shouldn't be suicide rushing the other teams front line

Comment

I agree to disagree Roffe. Mad Dashes are FUN!!!

Getting in amongst a group of enemy team, and setting them all on fire is FUN!!! Yes, you will likely die, but there is a chance to kill 1 or more that could not reach the health station in time, or someone else that was flamed got there first.

As an extra bonus, while they are running around trying to keep from dying, they are NOT attacking your team. A good pyro can stymie an entire attack, over and over.

If the fire extinguishes out before they die, they are an easy kill for most any class, as their health bar is extremely compromised.

Very satisfying to get killed in your mad dash, and 5-10 seconds later get a couple of confirmed kills, or an "Assist" or three.

The best part about pyro, is that you can play "OK" as a it when you are off your game. Very Forgiving. But Pyro's work best in ambush mode. Come behind the enemy cart, and FLAME AWAY!!! MuWahahahaha
            ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Originally posted by Roffe View Post
              pyros, or anyone of that matter shouldn't be suicide rushing the other teams front line
              Yep, this is a common misconception. A pyro shouldn't suicide rush if they can not reach the enemy, I agree, but only that much.

If they can reach the enemy, it stops the enemy dead most times since half run for health, the other half face the pyro. Not to mention, if you see a medic and focus more on them, you can blow ubers well before they have a chance to get situated to come after your team.

Dead and Gone had it right as well, if you're going to be an attack pyro, you're best off finding a way behind the enemy, then running at the line, making a line of barbecue. Any time I can, I'm running up from behind, Backburner in hand, watching the other team drop like flies.

Comment

My two cents

I almost exclusively play support classes (Engie, spy, and sniper), and the majority of the time I'm playing engineer. I've found a couple interesting things about teles.

1) An engineers tele exit placement is critical especially when on offense. As an engineer your ammunition is people. You are a people mover. So, if the roof needs to be flanked to take out sentries, then build the exit so that everyone teles behind the roof. If everyone is flanking and forgetting to push the cart or capture the point, build your exit so that they are forced take care of the cart. Usually when you build an exit, people will try to accomplish the most immediate perceived objective when then appear. Engie's really need to have their attention on the overall flow of the battle to place exits correctly.

2) The better the frontline guys can protect an offensive engie, the faster they should be getting reinforcements from a well placed exit. A good engie should be able to produce some unbelievable exits, sometimes even behind enemy lines, when he has proper support from his team.

The last thing I've noticed, even though it is not a hard and fast rule , is one level 3 tele is not enough to get people to the front line effectively, especially on offense and especially on a payload map. I've found that with two level 3 teles you can "out spawn" the opposing team and drive them back. With three tele's you can almost walk the cart to the destination point with only minimal forward aggression against opposing players.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X