Two requests...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two requests...

I know I'm a newbie here, but I'm far from a TF2 newbie... and as someone new here, I've found 2 things that have really been irking me. Figured I'm mention them in the off chance it improves overall play.

First, and this is a simple one, if you're an engineer, and know you're running at a wall to throw down an exit, right click twice before you left click. It spins around the exit so someone spawning can see and fire immediately at anyone, rather than spawning facing the wall.

Second, if teams are very imbalanced, and one side is STOMPING the other (all the regulars like to group up against the world), please consider spreading the experience around. A LOT of people who come leave immediately since one side invariably gets weighted with all top players, and the other left with a pick-up team, causing the server to die earlier in the night than it should.

Just my two requests, please consider them.

lol... I had times myself when I spawn and I faced the wall, I'm like "where aim" I or "which way i'm suppose to go"

Comment

Originally posted by Heceldi View Post
      I know I'm a newbie here, but I'm far from a TF2 newbie... and as someone new here, I've found 2 things that have really been irking me. Figured I'm mention them in the off chance it improves overall play.

First, and this is a simple one, if you're an engineer, and know you're running at a wall to throw down an exit, right click twice before you left click. It spins around the exit so someone spawning can see and fire immediately at anyone, rather than spawning facing the wall.

Second, if teams are very imbalanced, and one side is STOMPING the other (all the regulars like to group up against the world), please consider spreading the experience around. A LOT of people who come leave immediately since one side invariably gets weighted with all top players, and the other left with a pick-up team, causing the server to die earlier in the night than it should.

Just my two requests, please consider them.
      Your first point i have been pushing for months and pretty much everyone hear at the lair knows this its the general masses that do not, and the second one i know myself as well as most others select auto-balance although a shuffle team vote or function wouldnt be bad

Comment

Welcome. Make sure you post a another thread for an intro!

Good input, Hecedi.

You'll find that most folks that play here will voluntarily switch teams to try to keep things balanced. One team gets stomped, the team that loses has a lot of rage quitters... I'll almost always switch to the team that just lost, just to try to prevent the autobalance from doing it and forcing someone from having it forced on them. It's no fun, at least for me and I'm sure most of the folks here agree with me, when one team completely dominates the other. We enjoy the good, close matches that are won in the final five seconds.

The engi thing... that comes with experience. I just recently started playing engi and still suck at it. I had played for a couple of weeks before I figured the teleporter spin out on my own. Thanks for your post, I'm sure some others will benefit from it.
        [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
        <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin_Jack View Post
          Your first point i have been pushing for months and pretty much everyone hear at the lair knows this its the general masses that do not, and the second one i know myself as well as most others select auto-balance although a shuffle team vote or function wouldnt be bad
          I agree, a team shuffle with vote would be a welcome addition.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
            Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
            Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
            I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I believe votes cause server stability issues and require someone monitoring the server pretty much constantly. Not talking admins, which we have a good dedicated bunch, but on the actual server side.

I totally agree with both your points. When you are an engie and are going to drop a tele exit, pay attention to the little arrow on the blue print. It will show you the way the players will face when they exit the tele.
              [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
              So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

In general I have noticed that when one team is whooping the other, the team getting stomped usually has more of the CLR's on it. I would definitely agree with some kind of a team shuffle either by vote or between rounds or something.

Comment

Admins could actually do it via console with mp_scrambleteams 1

It should be tested during a downtime though, as the stability issue is that some mods will cause a crash if mp_scrambleteams is used.

If it doesn't crash when used, it should be perfectly safe to use a scramble vote that relies on it (now if you want to look at the ones that try to scramble based on skill, can't help you there, I've always been against 'intelligent' autobalancing and scrambling).

Oh, one more little tidbit for 'admin feedback', since that's what this thread seems to have delved into... a mod that prevents autobalancing if the person being balanced won't be able to spawn before the end of the round would be nice. Its quite annoying to get autobalanced right before payload goes to overtime, and you don't even get to spawn before you take a loss.

Comment

Thanks for your input Heceldi.

I sometimes forget to change the exit position of my teleports so if you ever end up facing a wall, sorry in advance.

We've taken note of team scrambiling as it has been mentioned quite a few times before. Sadly it is known to cause stability issues as already stated. Luckily for us team stacking is very infrequent due to most CLR's being good natured players that will switch teams when needed.

Comment

Heceldi makes solid points.

I admit sometimes when there's no engi on say Badwater or Goldrush, in my fervor to get a tele up I don't make sure I'm placing it down correctly.

Comment

I will also add as of late CLRs and regs are NOT switching to make things even. While good natured people, it doesn't happen as often as people think.

People want to play with their buddies, and right now that makes up usually 1 team of players.

Heceldi if you are on, tell me to come medic you. There's a shortage of pyros who know how to take things down properly.

Comment

Originally posted by LAMONT View Post
                          I will also add as of late CLRs and regs are NOT switching to make things even. While good natured people, it doesn't happen as often as people think.

People want to play with their buddies, and right now that makes up usually 1 team of players.

Heceldi if you are on, tell me to come medic you. There's a shortage of pyros who know how to take things down properly.
                          I agree about the not switching. People who disagree should go spectator at start of matches when server is running full swing at watch. You'll see a LOT of regulars and CLR's sitting in spectator mode, waiting for people to pick the 'off team', so they can group up on the 'on team'. Its not a case of 'everyone does it', there are a small handful that do pick the 'off team' (or random), but far more than half wait on the other team to let people in, resulting in stacked teams.

As per medic'ing, you should read my intro thread, I have a tip in there for medics you may want to see. (Yes, my intro was 10% about me and 90% tips.)

Comment

I didn't know you could switch the direction using right-click...awesome info! I guess I should read the forums more often.
                            Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
                            -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by beanlover View Post
                              I didn't know you could switch the direction using right-click...awesome info! I guess I should read the forums more often.
                              Ahhh so the infringing teleport exits belong to you huh?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X