Steam wont launch TF2 O_o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam wont launch TF2 O_o

Has this happen to anyone. I been seaching here and on Steam TF2 forums but I cant find anything...

I launch steam and then double click on TF2. I will get a steam screen pop up that say "preparing to launch team Fortress 2" and nothing happens. I double click on TF2 again, it will again say "preparing to launch team Fortress 2" then I will get a window pop up that say "Only one instance of the game can be running at one time" Yet TF2 doesnt launch. Even the Windows Task Manager applications doesnt show TF2 running. I even restart the PC to clear up the memory. MW2 will runs fine but I just cant get TF2 running for somereason. Thanks for any help

Its happened to me once or twice. I just restart my pc and all is good.

Comment

Take a look in the Processes tab of your Task Manager. Team Fortress 2 is generally listed as "hl2.exe" -- end the process if it's there.

If it's there, then that's odd because you said you rebooted, which should have taken care of the issue. You might want to look at your Startup apps (Start > search for msconfig > Startup tab).

Comment

Thanks about the hl2.exe I ended the process and restart the pc. So now when I restart the pc the hl2.exe isnt there. But when I start the game and nothing happens I see the hl2.exe

Comment

check your firewall or antivirus . probably blocking it.
          Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

I dont know what it could be. I havent changed anything... All I did major recently was change my background. I even deleted the game and reinstall it. But I havent checked to see if it was a complete deletion. And to think, I was thinking steam isn't so bad with digital media. So much the idea of buying Battlefield Badcompany 2 over steam if I cant play my games

Comment

Weird weird weird..

Deleting local content would have deleted all the executables and game files themselves, but almost definitely not the registry keys - maybe something happened there..

Did you already do the "Check game file integrity" or whatever that option is?

Try logging in as a different user and try as well - have seen weirder things happen

Comment

Yeah I check that. I even did the -novid -safe and -autoconfig in the launch options... I think dont know why, but my others game, MW2 runs fine, Arma 2, worked. (hated Arma 2 anyway) DOD:S also don't start (just....great) shattered horizon gives me a pop up that my DirectX 11 for Vista has expired...It could be why im having issues

Comment

Well in that case (the above pic) id obviously try to do windows updates to see if that infact does fix it, if not just roll your OS back to before you had the issue

Comment

Originally posted by Aessassen View Post
                    Well in that case (the above pic) id obviously try to do windows updates to see if that infact does fix it, if not just roll your OS back to before you had the issue
                    Just want to say thanks to Aessassen and to others for the help. I just took the easy way out and bought a Hard drive and will install Vista again.

Comment

The other thing it could have been was the firewall blocking the port that uses HL2 games. I'm at the office so I cant look at my notebook, but there is a port that some AVs will not allow that HL2 games use, unless you manually add the game .exe and all related process trees to the firewall.

Hit me with a PM if this happens again and I'll share with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                        The other thing it could have been was the firewall blocking the port that uses HL2 games. I'm at the office so I cant look at my notebook, but there is a port that some AVs will not allow that HL2 games use, unless you manually add the game .exe and all related process trees to the firewall.

Hit me with a PM if this happens again and I'll share with you.
                        Thanks for the offer. I got everything to work on a clean OS install.

Comment

Originally posted by Caddys83 View Post
                          Thanks for the offer. I got everything to work on a clean OS install.

See you in game........first.
                          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X