My Star Wars The Old Republic Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Star Wars The Old Republic Preview

Hey guys, this is just my opinion on the beta that I've played so far.
    First I want to thank whoever is reading this since this won't go in vein haha.

Star Wars the Old Republic. As you guys know, it dates way back in the day before Star Wars actually started. Well I've always been intrigued by the story of Star Wars itself. So I thought it would be great to play this game and find out somethings that I never knew about. I knew I wouldn't get to see Darth Vader or anyone like that.

As I began playing the beta for the first time and came to the loading screen I was thinking, "Sweet! I'm excited as hell to play this!"

Then the loading bar quickly filled and great despair overwhelmed my brain. "What the hell? I thought I was playing Star Wars, not World of Warcraft," I thought to myself.

I quickly exited the game in hopes that it was a bug. Again I double clicked the icon and joined the game. My hopes died when I realized that this was not a bug. Rather the game in its entirety.

My head slumped, I gave it a chance since it was Star Wars. The thought of calling it Stars of Warcraft entered my mind, but I say "No! I will not give into that temptation of calling Stars of Warcraft though it looks like World of Warcraft with a Star Wars theme!"

Suddenly the Star Wars theme entered my speakers and a smile was brought about.

I created my character with the limited amount of options I had to choose from. The creation of the characters is extremely limited and I believe this will be the case upon release. From the look of the characters, I would say they brought in the artists from World of Warcraft to draw up everything. And when I say everything, I mean everything.

I'm saddened to think that this is what's replacing Star Wars Galaxies. Four races to choose from at the moment and I see nothing for a bounty hunter. Perhaps that's what the trooper class is for.

After I got over the Stars of Warcraft feeling and started playing the game, I can honestly say that the gameplay is about the same as any other MMO out there. I know there's a formula people have to stick with, but can't some of it be original?

You can't lock your mouse like you could in SWG which makes it difficult to keep up with where your cursor is. And trust me, you will lose that thing at some points. I normally look at the toolbar to time my attacks right.

The only bugs I really came across during testing was crashing completely where I couldn't exit the game or anything. Had to hard start my computer to get it out. Then there were parts where the auto loot wouldn't give you some of the items.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great looking game. Just wish it didn't look like it had sex with WoW.

Gameplay is as addictive as any other game. The dialog is solid and I mean truely solid even though there are some parts where you just go, "Who hired this voice actor?" But then you realize that there are hundreds of lines of dialog so of course they're going to get tired at some point.

The story line will definitely keep you going for hours on end just to see what's going to happen next.

Would I buy this game? Would I suggest this game to anyone else?

First off, I would buy this game if it had any mental stimulation such as puzzles and took thought to complete certain quests.

And I would suggest this game to someone if it weren't for the fact that it looked too much like World of Warcraft with a Star Wars theme.

This is just my preview opinion after playing the beta. I will most likely stick with BF3 seeing as I'm not going to have much time to do anything after January. I've got school and that's going to be priority one. Nothing is going to get between me and becoming an IT.

Hope you guys enjoyed it and can take something from it. I can't make opinions for you all. I can just give you bits of information that I've come across and pass it on. If you like World of Warcraft, you'll love this since it's Star Wars.

But if you're a true Star Wars fan, you'll be like, "What in the *^%&#!! is this?"

PS: Wookies look like.... I don't know what they look like, but they definitely don't look like wookies. I actually came across one and was stunned, I was asking myself what it was and then I put my cursor over it and started laughing. Looks like something my 3 year old cousin would draw.

SWG was going in the right direction initially... and then SOE screwed it up. Now the franchise is screwed up again. Let's just hope the rumored space sim coming up will be another turnaround point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

In reality, there are really only 4 per side. And they all have a counterpart on the opposite faction

Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior: Melee DPS/Tank

Jedi Counsular/Sith Inquisitor: DPS (Ranged or Stealth depending on build)/Healer

Trooper/Bounty Hunter: Heavy Armor Wearing Mostly Ranged DPS/Tank/Heal

Smuggler/Agent: DPS (Mostly Ranged)/Heals

Now, each class has two "Advanced Classes," but those really are not much different than the different the different Talent Trees in WoW

SWTOR is hanging their hat on the fact they are bringing more "story" to the genre, which is a Bioware staple since the Original Baldur's Gate

Several of my old WOW guildies have formed a guild for SWTOR, and will see how it goes. The cutoff is Friday to form/join a guild so can get into this all together. Don't know how much time i can devote to it, due to playing BF3 alot.

Already wasted a HECK of a lot of time on WOW over the years. Not making that mistake again
      Last edited by Dead_And_Gone; 29 Nov 2011, 11:09 AM.
      ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Yeah, I just wish that it had the same elements as SWG. I loved the fact that you could be a creature handler, a true bounty hunter going after people for credits.

If they would've left SWG alone, I would've been happy. Maybe a graphics update for SWG, but that's about it.

The numerous professions that SWG had was the best MMO I've ever played. I know in the story that there were only a handful of classes, but SWG really brought it to life with the ability to become a senate and mayor of a town.

Then it became over run by Jedi's with the NGE. I love playing as a jedi, but it should definitely be the hardest thing to become.

STWOR seems like a lazy man's game. After they came out with the NGE for SWG, that's when SWG became the lazy man's game as well.

SWG will be missed by me.

Comment

WoW is popular, and TOR isn't going to reinvent the wheel. It's WoW-like on purpose, because it's what many MMO players already know. They use that winning formula and add their stuff on top of that.
          They're banking on the 100% voice-overs, the storytelling ability of BioWare, and it's Star Wars/Jedi/Lightsabers/etc.
          I think the art is dumbed down so the hardware requirements will be low. That increases the amount of computers that can run/buy your game.

Comment

I don't do MMO's. I would happily plunk down the cash for an update of X-Wing or TIE Fighter though. Heck, the X-Box guys just cashed in on reskinning the original Halo.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyRico View Post
              I don't do MMO's. I would happily plunk down the cash for an update of X-Wing or TIE Fighter though. Heck, the X-Box guys just cashed in on reskinning the original Halo.
              Sigh... I do miss those X-Wing games...
              [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyRico View Post
                They hired someone at Lucasarts a little while back to work on a new "arial combat title", stating "Among the requirements listed, experience in flight sims, “especially space-based shooters” is down as a plus."
                http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/15/lu...-combat-title/
                So the likelihood is they're already working on a new space simulator title. Just hope it's the one we all wish it is!
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I've played the beta some as well and will be playing at launch. Not sure if I'll last more than 30 days.

My comments come from someone who has been into MMOs since the UO better in 1996. Played most of the MMOs out there. Although I did play for for a few months, never clicked with the crowd and the raids.

What I am loving about SWTOR is the voice over and story lines. They are very well done. Sure, you can skip over all the text, run to your quest point, run back... then the game feels very grindy and very WoWesque. But taking the time do the at least the class story quest really makes it worth it. I'm loving the Bountry Hunter quest, and I'll play it at launch just to go through the story quest.

Everyone wants it to be different, but really, what do you want that is different? UO was different and very open ended at first, full time pvp, didnt know who was good or bad... loved it. EQ brought in the more 1 person view... DAOC was my love with the RvR system... WoW took the bits and parts of those games and brought them into a bundle, making it easy. As said, it is a winning formula. While some people want change, I can't think of any major change that could have a huge impact.

Sure, more races, more customizations to your toon, but really, these are esthetique. Game play is where its at, and that I dont see changing.

Will it capture fans for years and years to come? No. Is it revolutionary? Not really. EQ2 had fun voice overs. But it will have some staying powre for sure.

The game is a bit cartoony in terms of graphics. Not my cup of tea. My biggest irk with ALL MMOs in many recent years is the lack of penalty when you die...specially to your stuff. Makes people charge headon into something without tactics or thinking as there is no risk to your stuff. In the UO days, you died and your body stayed there and people could fully loot your corpse. So dying had a huge risk. Asheron's Call i believe brought in the binding of a few items that you wouldn't lose if you die. Thats cool, as in UO, my cool stuff stayed in the vault incase the Player Killers raided. But with these games, you lose nothing but time. Pretty lame. Makes for stupid play.

Niles... the Bounty Hunter is there, under the Empire side. 4 race choices like all the others. Fun story line, one of the best early companions.
                  [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
                  So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

Oh so bounty hunter is only on Empire side? Well then. I guess that would go with the story as the bounty hunters are normally working along with the empire.

Although I would've thought in the Star Wars world outside the main story line the rebels would hire bounty hunters as well. I might be wrong on that though haha

Don't get me wrong Twinky. I enjoyed playing the game and the Story line was the only reason I was mad about the beta going down. I'm hoping that this weekend will be another one. If not I'll probably do the same. Just play the game until the story line ends and go onto something else.

Once January comes around though I won't be playing any games since I've got school and that's going to be extremely important.

Although lately I've been into Hacker Evolution. Not the newest one, but the one where you've actually got to type out "Connect hacker-evolution.com"

I love that game as well. Pretty addictive when you know what you're doing and realise what you've got to do. I might end up buying that game, I'm not too sure about it though.

Comment

Thanks for the short review.

I'll pass on that. There are so many other great or better games out there and the monthly fee is a "no go" for me.

Though I really hope they will make a decent SW Battlefront or X-Wing remake sometime.
                      Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                      Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X