Sad "news" for all of the PC community of the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobytt View Post
    Why they would be upset? Anyone with little or no brain would know what the result of their action is going to be....

Dang I was actually looking forward to playing a cool game with fellow CLRers
    [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by DougBob View Post
      To Console Gamers:

First let me say please do not take offense to anything posted here referencing Console gamers or games. You are a very important part of online gaming.
      You have to understand, this is the reason PC Gamers are upset over this move by IW.
      PC Gamers and their rigs are the reason you have a quality consoles like the PS3?? and XBox 360??. Like it or not, PC gamers pioneered the online gaming community, nurtured and watched it grow as hundreds of thousands of us around the world worked the bugs out of the games; put the hardware thru its best and worst; determined which platforms were popular and what network protocols were best to use for the online game play.
      The manufacturers used this information the PC gamers directly contributed in bringing to fruition and brought you the high quality online and standalone games and consoles.
      The technologies contained within these consoles are directly from the hardware developed and tested in PCs. The motherboards, CD/DVDs, CPUs and the GPUs capable of running the console games you so enjoy are either directly from the PC market or hybrids of their pioneering fathers.
      In all fairness, I should mention the early days console contained technology used in Apple(Machintosh) computers and standard chips used in a variety of other devices too numerous to mention.
      Concerning the latest consoles, the newest addition to this technology was the Cell processor in the PS3, which even though it didn’t see any time in a PC it was developed from information and results learned from PC performance on multi-core processors to directly compete with the new multi-core CPU technology.
      Now to address the rant of the PC gamer, it has been said by some individuals who like the consoles over the PC, not you in particular mind you, but they say the PC gamer is childish and keeps whimpering they want the same thing the manufacturers are putting into the consoles. This is NOT a true statement. Far from it actually! In reality the PC gamer likes the flexibility the PC provides with the ability to upgrade to the latest mouse, keyboard, video or sound card. We like the ability to compete against others, over clock our CPU and GPU, control our own environment, customize maps, player avatars, weapons, environmental items like bullet damage and gravity. PC gamers do not want the simple hand held controllers a console provides because we like the high speed spin in combination with a head shot a keyboard and mouse provide; the numerous buttons on a mouse we can program to what action we like and the 100+ keys on the keyboard we can do the same with.
      The PC gamers have feared for a few years that the game manufacturers would forget where their home is and start leaving the PC platform out of the picture when developing their latest bundles of joy. Well this boys and girls is their first step into testing the waters on this great journey.
      But above all of the items mentioned, we like the ability of running our own server, controlling and fine tuning it. We like the full control of the machine to provide a gaming environment filled with choice, whether it’s a gaming environment of players who don’t curse, call others derogator names, ensure new players follow the rules and respect others OR a gaming environment for those who don’t care and want to be able to call someone a !@#$ stick and talk about their mother, etc.
      So when you read these forums stating how upset we are, it may sound a little like we don’t like console gamers or the consoles themselves, don’t misunderstand this. That’s not the entire picture. You have to remember, some of us have been around a long time on this great journey. Some have become the best PC FPS gamers in the world and gone on to be sponsored by a mother board or video card manufacturer.
      Remember that we were playing networked games like DOOM the original, released in 1993, over an IPX protocol connected with a thin net cable stretched around a living room or kitchen and even stretched between houses while console gamers were playing their standalone console game.
      So I say again console gamers: We don’t dislike or hate you. We understand you, but please, I say again, please, remember, if it wasn’t for the ones like Cain who started their Cain’s Lair community and stuck with it for over 10 years or the dedicated hard core clans that take it all to seriously sometimes and travel thousands of miles to compete. If it weren’t for that, you wouldn’t have that console to play those cool online games on.
      So when our way of playing online games is challenging even further by those that think we are obsolete and need to be brought into line with the console way of doing things. YES, we tend to get a little testy. So please forgive us, BUT NEVER FORGET how it all came to be!

Intresting story but I would have to disagree. They forgot about Edge 16 that was release for the Sega Genesis in '94 before Xband took off. Sega of japan even had their own modem I think it was called Sega Meganet or telegenesis modem or something around those names . Im not sure about the others but Sega netlink use the same IPX protocol. I would say Sega Netlink for the Sega Saturn was the launch pad for online game on the consoles. Online gaming for console been around just as long as online PC gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Caddys83 View Post
        Intresting story but I would have to disagree. They forgot about Edge 16 that was release for the Sega Genesis in '94 before Xband took off. Sega of japan even had their own modem I think it was called Sega Meganet or telegenesis modem or something around those names . Im not sure about the others but Sega netlink use the same IPX protocol. I would say Sega Netlink for the Sega Saturn was the launch pad for online game on the consoles. Online gaming for console been around just as long as online PC gaming.
        The point he is making though Caddy is that the PC has been the driving force for most of the major upgrades made to the consuls....and he is right in that aspect. This isn't the say that developments wouldn't have been made, but they would have been made a lot slower.
        [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Any word from IW?
          [img]http://www.fpsreport.com/tuqui/Sig01.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Tuqui-tuqui View Post
            Any word from IW?
            No they no word yet mate the are hiding in the Conner scared to face the pc owns wrath.

Comment

a quick calculation

currently the online petition has 99,000 signatures. I know that there could be some fools who doubled up or more...but if that number were accurate, multiply it by $60 and IW loses $5,940,000.

Comment

What are these idiots thinking !?!?

I guess we need to find a game that loves PC gamers.

Comment

If it hasn't already been brought up, this seems like one of those 'forced upgrades' where IW provides the matchmaking servers, then when the newer version of the game comes out, they pull the plug on the older version, FORCING gamers to buy the newest version.

I fail to see how that makes good sense for them. I can still play UT99 if I feel the need, so why in Gods name are they changing the entire online gaming model all of a sudden ?

Hey, here's an idea !! Maybe they can make the perks a micropayment and increase their profits via that wonderful plan.
                  Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

101133...for the future of PC gaming.

This is a free country, they are free to do whatever they like with their product. Therefore, they are also free to accept the consequences of their actions.

Comment

OFFICIAL IW RESPONSE

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...-response.aspx

loooooooool

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
                        I want to interview him...let's see him laugh then...just once...please...

Comment

Why not have both? West does not want to include dedicated servers alongside the custom-built backend, stating that it would just "bifurcate the community."
                          Ummmm..........

Comment

fourzerotwo responds in blog

fourzerotwo's blog

Modern Warfare 2 For PC
                            On 10.20.09, In Video Games, By fourzerotwo.

I recently broke news on a PC community member’s podcast that Modern Warfare 2 would be introducing a completely new backend infastructure called IWNET that would allow matchmaking for multiplayer games on PC. The news, by default, means no more browsing through a Server List for a server with the settings / ping you want among other things, and sent shockwaves through the hardcore PC community, leading to many more questions than answers as to ‘HOW’ this would work, and if it would really be better for the PC community as a whole.

Questions, assumptions, and speculation I intend to dispel.

Call of Duty:
                            Modern Warfare 2 is actually the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games. It’s also the most feature-rich PC version we’ve ever made. IWNET takes the benefits of dedicated servers and allows them to be utilized and accessed by every player, out of the box, while removing the barrier to entry for players unaware of how to maintain a server on their own.

How does it do this?

Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay:
                            When you want to player a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You’d have to scroll through a Server Browser which listed every available server which was hosted by individual server admins. Each had their own private rules, mods, or ways of playing the game. Most players would also use the server browser to find just the best quality game (based on PING). With IWNET matchmaking, it takes all that into account for you. All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you’re always guaranteed the best game performance for where you are and what connection you’re playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. It doesn’t mean you’ll just be thrown into a random game! It will put you in the game that will give you the smoothest gameplay possible without you having to manually find a server with the best ping.

Playlists and Private Matches:
                            As I described above, Playlists are pre-set game modes and gametypes for public games. If you just want to jump into a public game of Search and Destroy or Hardcore Search and Destroy and you don’t care about fully customizing it, then you can utilize playlists to do that quickly for you. However, say you’re in a clan and you want to play a Clan match with another team, or you want to practice for an upcoming tournament that has specific rules in a private game. Then you can start a Private Match (which is essentially like running your own private server) where you have complete control over the rules, who can join, boot players you don’t want, and essentially control the entire game or tweak it to your liking. Once the rules are set, you can invite the other team in or just start it up with your clan to practice with the custom rules before the match. This now allows you to play custom games out of the box without the need to install mods, find a modded server with the rules you like, or worry about not being in control of the match.

Party System and Friendslist:
                            Modern Warfare 2 on PC also makes it much easier if you want to party up with your friends, or again, with your clan for a match. You can utilize the friendslist to see when your friends are online, and invite them to your Party. A Party allows you to move from game to game as a group. It’s great for clan matches, because you can party of with your clan and move from public game to public game together. Or if you’re doing a scrim, party up and invite the other clan (who is in a party) and they’ll all join at once. Set up a private match together and play. It makes setting up scrims or games with friends easier and hassle free.

Cheat / Hack Free Games:
                            The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.

Comment

/Signed

Now

105038 Total Signatures

Comment

Originally posted by Caddys83 View Post

Modern Warfare 2 For PC
                                On 10.20.09, In Video Games, By fourzerotwo.

*SNIP*

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.
                                What a way to screw over communities

He keeps speaking of clans as if competitive gamers are the only ones affected by this. Communities, like Cain's, which are large and several, actually created a home for players who wanted to keep in touch with other like-minded players. Community servers are well moderated and maintain a family environment. With this new system, unless I specifically state that I want a private session, forces me to play with spammers, people who we know will violate the TOS just to piss you off, and abuse the system pushing people away until the system turns into X-Box Live.

Bring back user-run servers or you get no $$ from me!
                                [img]http://www.fpsreport.com/tuqui/Sig01.jpg[/img]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X