is hell a cuss word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a fun diversion, but I regularly referee soccer, and
    often have players from across the pond. (Irish, Brits, etc..)

MOST of them are from the rougher side of the railroad tracks.

They use F bombs, and other descriptive words as just part of their
    normal every day conversation.

A young referee was doing an adult match with a Brit team. There was
    your normal 4 letter words flying everywhere, directed at teammates as
    much as anything. The young ref was getting agitated, and
    asked me what to do to curb the language. I said to talk to the
    player/coach, and ask him and his players to tone it down some due to
    women and children on the sidelines.

He asked the player/coach, and the guy said sure, no problem.

He yelled out across the field. "Hey you F..n Bastards, Quit your D..n
    cussing. There's woman and children here.

I've seen some red faces over the years, but I believe that young ref
    GLOWED. Afraid I was laughing too hard to appreciate
    his embarassment all that much.
    ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Depends on how you use it. "Satan lives in Hell" is not profanity. "Oh, Hell. I've been shot in the head!" is profanity. Same goes for usage for damn, Jesus Christ and some others. Some words are always profanity (i.e. s**t, f bombs, see you next tuesday). Then you have your whole stable of racist, sexual orientation and religeous slurs that would almost always be profanity. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyRico0
        Depends on how you use it. "Satan lives in Hell" is not profanity. "Oh, Hell. I've been shot in the head!" is profanity. Same goes for usage for damn, Jesus Christ and some others. Some words are always profanity (i.e. s**t, f bombs, see you next tuesday). Then you have your whole stable of racist, sexual orientation and religeous slurs that would almost always be profanity. IMHO.
        And this is what makes the world a great place to live. The fact that we can all have our own "opinions". While I really dont agree with Johny, it is a very common opinion here where I am currently residing.

My opinion is that there will always be a fine line where common words become profanity as long as we all have opinions. Words are just that... Words. What it comes down to is whether we "choose" to take offense to them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by thedeadlyassassin
          Someone said good round and I said Hell yeah and then someone said no cussing at cain's lair please.

It's not a big deal, I don't care who it was and they are right to have said that because they are trying to keep it clean. I was only posting to make sure I wasn't being an asshat cusser.
          Like I said it was Moe and he was being sarcastic.
          [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
          Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Someone said good round and I said Hell yeah and then someone said no cussing at cain's lair please.

It's not a big deal, I don't care who it was and they are right to have said that because they are trying to keep it clean. I was only posting to make sure I wasn't being an asshat cusser.
            Man, just keep being yourself. I've not seen you step out of line since I've been playing here. Moe was being sarcastic, and I've seen moe say the same things. If you get kicked, then I'd worry about it, otherwise you're a good guy and do your part at making Cain's Lair what it is and you're appreciated for it. Keep at it and I look forward to having one HELL of a time playing with you again... or just beating the hell out of you.

Comment

Sorry duke missed your post

Alright that's good. Hopefully he was being sarcastic, I enjoy playing with Moe and I'm glad I didn't offend him.

Comment

Alright that's good. Hopefully he was being sarcastic, I enjoy playing with Moe and I'm glad I didn't offend him.
                Just poke him in the eye with your gun barrel and go on about your business.

Comment

It was a fun round.
                  [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                  Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

in my opinion; no

Comment

Hell is not a cuss word because it is not vulger.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X