HC vs Vanilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HC vs Vanilla

I really, really wish EA had not adopted the COD approach of having HardCore and Vanilla versions of its Battlefield series games.

Many of the teamplay and unique aspects of the BF series are seriously diluted when you implement a HC mode that changes the game significantly.

The inability to spot enemies, the loss of the map, the loss of the kill-cam, the loss or healing or repairing HUD and the increased damage of the weapons causes snipers to be much more troublesome, and IMO encourages lone-wolf gameplay over team tactics.

BF2 did not have these two game modes, but the latest BF games have which splits the BF community and makes it harder to run a server and predict which mode will be more popular.

I keep reading that sadly enough BF3 WILL offer the HC mode, although it is a terrible mistake, and this will force admins to choose a mode. (The streamlined four class system and killcams of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will continue, and a Hardcore mode will be present in the game.)

My plan is to choose and stick with the vanilla mode so that all the options, and features of the game will be available to all classes.

IMO HC mode seriously tips the game in favor of the snipers for many of the reasons posted above - particularly snipers who sit in one spot and rarely move around.

I HATE HC, and I hate the way it alters a BF game and turns it into something else entirely.

Sounds good to me. Let's just hope it doesn't take a full clip to kill someone.

Comment

What do you folks think of trying Vanilla on our server for a week or two to get used to it ??

I know the snipers and the cheaters will hate it, because they both LOVE HC, but what are your thoughts??

With the basic vanilla mode snipers are not as supercharged and invisible if they sit in one spot.

A scan of servers this morning shows me that more folks are playing vanilla than HC right now.

Let's give it a shot for a day or two and see what we think. I am prepared to listen to some whining, but let's see how it plays and how the games are for us. I'll try to play tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by BadHabitz View Post
        Sounds good to me. Let's just hope it doesn't take a full clip to kill someone.
        It never has, if you have a good weapon and you shoot them in the head.

Comment

hmmm i dont know many many many players have that hardcore ticked in there server browser... if the look in therre favorites Cains Lair would just be greyed out and they may just think its offline or down and not bother changing any setings... after all i found the server searching for hardcore servers if i had gone to go back the next day and it was always greyed out i would just think maybe they took it down who knows? but vanilla seems abit late to try it ..but hey im up for anything but remember snipers %95 of the time snipers wait till you stop moving and shoot you in the head so i personally dont think it will solve the sniper problem just make it easier to find them... but doesn't hurt to try// BF3 is only a couple of months away
          sigpic

The sentence below is true.
          The sentence above is false.

Comment

I'm all for it, Mini and I have played in a few vanilla rush servers and once you get used to shooting until they drop it's not bad.
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

i wouldnt care about vanilla if it didnt take a clip to drop a guy. that is just too unrelaistic for a realistic shooter game.
              3-4 bullets, someone is dead. in real life, it takes less. in vanilla, it takes way more, and well, is just stupid. plus, last i checked, we dont have a map running around on some imaginary HUD for humans.. we dont have a map, nor do our soldiers.
              kill cam? what, so you can see where the guy that shot you is hiding? last i checked, when you are dead, you are dead. not a magical video showing who shot you.
              no crosshairs? get over it.

what promotes lonewolf play is squad members not doing a damn thing to help out squad. i am sorry, but i am often squaded with tons of CLR's, and you'd think out of anyone, that they would be team players. but no(( not everyone, some of you are champs, but, a lot of folks on these forums, in game, are not cool)).. just try getting a health pack out of a medic sometimes. or, you get the guys who decided that your squad needs 3 snipers camped out at edge of map just sitting there, and honestly, ususally sucking, i wouldnt care if the snipers were anygood, but its you lousy no skill snipers that really suck.
              you changed the simper limit, but this doesnt stop folks from being douchebags, it just limits the number of douchebags.

its your server, do whatever the hell you want with it. you wont ever get a layout/set up that we all like , so i wouldnt bother trying. if you'd like proof, just ask for another map suggestion, or sniper limit.

Threads like this just have everyone argue about which is better, and you just have to make your own call at the end anyway. Set it up how you want cain, you have tons of folks on here who play no matter what you did with it anyway. others might leave, but they will just be replaced with someone else.

Comment

Good comments Rossy.

The kill-cam makes snipers very easy to find and spotting enemies also helps. Snipers definitely gravitate to HC.

Let's give it a shot, our numbers are already falling off a cliff anyway, and like you said BF3 is only a few months away.

If we don't like it I'll switch it back to HC so we can get raped by snipers again.

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
                  i wouldnt care about vanilla if it didnt take a clip to drop a guy. that is just too unrelaistic for a realistic shooter game.
                  3-4 bullets, someone is dead. in real life, it takes less. in vanilla, it takes way more, and well, is just stupid. plus, last i checked, we dont have a map running around on some imaginary HUD for humans.. we dont have a map, nor do our soldiers.
                  kill cam? what, so you can see where the guy that shot you is hiding? last i checked, when you are dead, you are dead. not a magical video showing who shot you.
                  no crosshairs? get over it.

what promotes lonewolf play is squad members not doing a damn thing to help out squad. i am sorry, but i am often squaded with tons of CLR's, and you'd think out of anyone, that they would be team players. but no(( not everyone, some of you are champs, but, a lot of folks on these forums, in game, are not cool)).. just try getting a health pack out of a medic sometimes. or, you get the guys who decided that your squad needs 3 snipers camped out at edge of map just sitting there, and honestly, ususally sucking, i wouldnt care if the snipers were anygood, but its you lousy no skill snipers that really suck.
                  you changed the simper limit, but this doesnt stop folks from being douchebags, it just limits the number of douchebags.

its your server, do whatever the hell you want with it. you wont ever get a layout/set up that we all like , so i wouldnt bother trying. if you'd like proof, just ask for another map suggestion, or sniper limit.

Threads like this just have everyone argue about which is better, and you just have to make your own call at the end anyway. Set it up how you want cain, you have tons of folks on here who play no matter what you did with it anyway. others might leave, but they will just be replaced with someone else.

ill play no matter what because i enjoy the people in this server .. and yes some argue but most just post their opinion and i wouldnt really call it arguing i would call it a Debate.. you can never get something everyone likes its impossible, but you can ask questions to get closer.. and i am still yet to meet someone from these forums that are not cool, funny or not a team player IN game
                  sigpic

Comment

Infamous you must have hated BF2, all the things you are bitching about were integral to that game, and will be important to BF3.

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
                      What do you folks think of trying Vanilla on our server for a week or two to get used to it ??

I know the snipers and the cheaters will hate it, because they both LOVE HC, but what are your thoughts??

With the basic vanilla mode snipers are not as supercharged and invisible if they sit in one spot.

A scan of servers this morning shows me that more folks are playing vanilla than HC right now.

Let's give it a shot for a day or two and see what we think. I am prepared to listen to some whining, but let's see how it plays and how the games are for us. I'll try to play tonight.
                      I'm for trying vanilla for a bit. I still play vanilla occasionally and haven't found that it takes a full clip to take someone out. Yes it does take a bit more, but just slow down on the spray-and-pray, use some sights, and its a non issue.
                      Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by SIR rossy View Post
                        hmmm i dont know many many many players have that hardcore ticked in there server browser... if the look in therre favorites Cains Lair would just be greyed out and they may just think its offline or down and not bother changing any setings... after all i found the server searching for hardcore servers if i had gone to go back the next day and it was always greyed out i would just think maybe they took it down who knows? but vanilla seems abit late to try it ..but hey im up for anything but remember snipers %95 of the time snipers wait till you stop moving and shoot you in the head so i personally dont think it will solve the sniper problem just make it easier to find them... but doesn't hurt to try// BF3 is only a couple of months away

i wont play on servers that are not HC.
                        as for the post above about " it doesnt take a whole clip if you have a good gun, and a head shot" well, NO stuff sherlock. If you dont get that head shot, you do use a whole clip, which is just stupid. you do not have to agree with me that it is stupid, but you wont convince me that it is not.

Comment

Good comments Rossy.

The kill-cam makes snipers very easy to find and spotting enemies also helps. Snipers definitely gravitate to HC.

Let's give it a shot, our numbers are already falling off a cliff anyway, and like you said BF3 is only a few months away.

If we don't like it I'll switch it back to HC so we can get raped by snipers again.
                          Sounds good Cain! ill jump in o try start it up in a few minutes
                          sigpic

Comment

When I don't play on the Lair I ALWAYS play vanilla. It's simply better... for me. I can do my usual jumping, swimming, and tank blowing with little effort. It helps that you are good at keeping a steady aim. Vanilla is also VERY closed quartered, when there is no risk of a sniper catching you from 2 miles away you tend to be more adventurous. I'm all up for it, although I am very sure most of your community prefers HC (I'm not gonna even say why!)

Comment

Infamous you must have hated BF2, all the things you are bitching about were integral to that game, and will be important to BF3.
                              what i didnt like about bf2 was my lousy machine, and the constant spamming of the commanders, and the stupid hacks they had for the game.

since there was no vanilla or HC to compare , i had no choice to make. i promise you that were there a different mode in BF2 , id have liked the HC better.

sorry you dont like HC, but that doesnt affect what i think. i dont expect my opinion to matter to you either.

allow me to add this. any "shooter" game, that tries to market itself as relaisitc, that has kill cams, HUD maps, and enemies not dying after just a few shots is downright stupid. They should not market themselves are realistic, and should just go copy TF2, or brink. then, you can do whatever they hell you want as its not"realistic"

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X