No announcement yet.

Server Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So where is the server physically located? My ping from the lair is usually in the 60-75ms range, but sometimes it exceeds 100ms.

Comment

nevada I think.

Comment

A tracert on the server's IP suggests St. Louis, MO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
          I could put a BF3 server on the moon, and if it was 64 players and very busy, it would dump players.
          That's understandable, because once the server is on the dark side of the moon, everyone drops connection... and I foresee ping issues at that location. I think Antarctica would be a better example
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by SighKoPath View Post
            A tracert on the server's IP suggests St. Louis, MO.
            Sucks. Cain used to have servers physically located in my home state, which meant really good pings for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Quamin View Post
              That's understandable, because once the server is on the dark side of the moon, everyone drops connection... and I foresee ping issues at that location. I think Antarctica would be a better example
              Rossy would love that !!

Comment

yea we would all have the same ping as him .

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                  yea we would all have the same ping as him .
                  lol
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by NateTheBrewer View Post
                    So basically, the host (physical server) can have under-provisioned memory (not enough for all the virtual machines it is running) while the memory on the virtual machines are over provisioned... In the example above, if all of the machines go into full load, you are consuming twice the resources of the physical machine. It does not have this memory to give, so applications and even the operating system on the virtual machine will crash.
                    This is correct. I'm wondering if they've setup the reservation,limits and shares correctly or if they have the balloon memory driver installed (assuming VMware)

I will say I play about 95% of my time on Cain's. The other servers I've played on have never crashed once. So I can't tell if it's a wide spread issue or not.

Comment

Yesterday, for the first time, I played a significant amount of time on a different server. It was incredibly smooth and experienced zero crashes - hard (server) or soft (EA dump). I was very surprised, as much as I like Cain's Lair, and it makes me wonder what is going on in the Lair...especially with the soft dumps where you rejoin and the map is still going with the ticket count and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooserator View Post
                        Yesterday, for the first time, I played a significant amount of time on a different server. It was incredibly smooth and experienced zero crashes - hard (server) or soft (EA dump). I was very surprised, as much as I like Cain's Lair, and it makes me wonder what is going on in the Lair...especially with the soft dumps where you rejoin and the map is still going with the ticket count and everything.
                        This... I have seen cains lair crashed multiple times in one night when full, while other servers can run the same amount of time without crashing, with the same volume. This may happen with other servers but not all of them... That's what makes me think there is more than just a 'this is a global problem' thing...

Comment

Didn't even get 1 hour in tonight without a crash in the Lair. 8:15 central time it imploded. It was only my second round and the server had ~40 players...it was another soft crash on Oman. Ticket count was essentially the same when I got back in, with the other 12 players.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X