No announcement yet.

game performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read somewhere yesterday that Avast antivirus can cause a BSOD with BF3. So I figure what the heck, I'll turn it off for a while and see if that's it. I'm totally grasping at straws right now.
    A change of Pace.
    "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Okay - that wasn't it....... Didn't really think my AV was causing it, but it didn't hurt to try.

Guess I'll go look at my RAM timings.
      A change of Pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzy View Post
        Those Q6600 chips should clock alot further than that. I had mine running at 3.4ghz on air without an issue.
        It probably would go higher. But if going from 2.4 to 2.7 didn't make a single difference, I would imagine going higher won't help either. I'm sure my video card is also a limiting factor here.

I just need to drop $500 on a new rig!

Comment

Quickest way to check is to just pull 1 stick out and see if you're stable.

Originally posted by paceman View Post
          Okay - that wasn't it....... Didn't really think my AV was causing it, but it didn't hurt to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
            Asus Rampage III Intel X58
            I7 920 2.6 (currently overclocked to 3.2)
            12GB Corsair Ram
            EVGA GTX465 1GB RAM
            Apache

Apache you should be able to take that 920 to 4.0 easily on water. You still got the Corsair right. My 930 is at 21x191 with 1.33v. First time I went up I didnt increase the voltage and it crashed back out. I did a little research and found that the 930 was runnin stable at 1.33 . Soon as I upped the voltage it was fine. Runs cool at around 60c. Just make sure everything else stays the same on voltage and speeds. Your board probably ties some stuff in.
            [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I haven't overclocked it higher because everything is running smooth at the present settings. I probably should kick it up to 4.0.
              The nice thing about this MOBO is it has two BIOS. I keep one stock and the other OC'ed.
              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

My timings were good for the memory I have.
                4 sticks of
                CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
                for a total of 4GB

MOBO was set to DDR2-1066
                Timings were 5-5-5-18

I went ahead and changed all the memory settings to auto and thought I had a winner. I played almost 5 games before the BSOD, which happened while I was on the end of round screen waiting for the next round to start, so nothing was really going on.....
                A change of Pace.

Comment

Spent almost 2 hours running Windows Memory test. 7 Passes, all clean.
                  A change of Pace.

Comment

How about your PSU?
                    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by vprong View Post

I use both EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner and haven't had an issue.
                      some people do, some people don't. of course since paceman didn't reply I'll never know if it effects him.

Comment

It's physically having 4 slots in use at once that can cause issues, even if all your RAM is perfectly fine. This has been a long standing issue with motherboards regardless of chipset for decades. Try shutting down, removing 1, and booting up to test it. MOBOs are good at detecting your default timings so AUTO probably just set it to 1066. I would try 800 if you want to use all 4.

My timings were good for the memory I have.
                        4 sticks of
                        CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
                        for a total of 4GB

MOBO was set to DDR2-1066
                        Timings were 5-5-5-18

I went ahead and changed all the memory settings to auto and thought I had a winner. I played almost 5 games before the BSOD, which happened while I was on the end of round screen waiting for the next round to start, so nothing was really going on.....

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_chef
                          Originally posted by vprong
                          I use both EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner and haven't had an issue.
                          some people do, some people don't. of course since paceman didn't reply I'll never know if it effects him.
                          I don't know what either of those pieces of software are, I don't use either.
                          A change of Pace.

Comment

thank you for replying sir.

Comment

Is anyone else having the game crash back to the server select screen? I get it about once an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyRico View Post
                                Is anyone else having the game crash back to the server select screen? I get it about once an hour.
                                Yes I get that also, not as frequently as the BSOD, but it does happen about once every 4-5 games.
                                A change of Pace.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X