Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More bad news for Nvidia - PCI prefetch issues

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...10222&Itemid=1

Not that the PCI bus is the preferred method of moving data on your rig, but why Nvidia didn't pony up the money to accomplish this is beyond me.

Quick take on the situation:
    Nvidia has infringed a patent regarding to PCI prefetch that OPTi holds and although OPTi no longer makes PC chips, they now license intellectual property. The problem in this case is that Nvidia didn't come out on agreeable terms with OPTi and has to remove the PCI prefetch feature from its chipsets.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Boy am I glad my new motherboard has an Intel Chipset.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Honestly, this only affects users that need to update their BIOS for any issues, or someone using PCI devices.

I fear that my time buying eVGA mainboards has reached an end, as they are known for needing BIOS updates to fix some bugs here and there. Then again, I'm not sure if it only affects multiple PCI devices, or whether it could impact only a single PCI device on a board.

Time will tell what happens in the end, but I'm glad I have a stable BIOS (from eVGA - only took them a few months too !!) on this 750i board.

All the bad press is surely hurting them more than we can imagine. Would it be possible to see Nvidia merge with a big name such as AMD did with ATI ?
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Regardless what happens EVGA would still support it the best they could.
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Maybe Intel should merge with Nvidia.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

wow, i might be affected by this now that i'm planning to upgrade my cpu.
            Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Well erm read the bottum of the post.... They updated it lol...

Update: Nvidia got back to us with a following comment. " This is old news from Jan 2007. NVIDIA implemented and distributed an SBIOS fix to disable the feature starting in Jan 2007, and disabled it in future hardware products that were introduced after this date. AMD is currently being sued by Opti on the exact same issue." but we still think that there is more to it.

Comment

LoL .. typical Fud stuff, but I posted it nonetheless. I hate linking their articles, but some end up ringing true at some point.

Comment

I'm kinda curious how this works. I haven't looked at PCI specs deeply before but, honestly this is not part of the spec?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X