Yo need help for upgrading PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yo need help for upgrading PC

I used to know all of this stuff but, Since I work primarily on network security, Wans and Sans all of my home PC knowledge has atrophied. Currently I've got

64-bit Intel? Pentium? dual-core or single-core processors with 800MHz front side bus and 2MB L2 cache per processor; Hyper-Threading @ 3.2 Ghz
    1066MHz FSB available with select processors. All Intel Pentium processors support 64-bit computing with Intel Extended
    Memory 64 Technology
    Microsoft? Windows? XP Professional for Business
    Intel 955X chipset
    4GB dual-channel2 DDR2 533MHz ECC registered memory; Four DIMM slots; 667MHz
    Integrated PCI Express Broadcom? BCM5751 10/100/1000 Gigabit4 Ethernet
    Integrated AC’97 audio
    Eight USB 2.0: two on front panel, five on back panel, one internal; One serial (second serial optional); One parallel; Two PS/2; One RJ-45; Line-in,
    line-out, and microphone connectors on back panel; Speaker and headphone connectors on front panel
    IEEE 1394a connector available with add-in card; PCMCIA reader

the video card is a

ATI SAPPHIRE 100150 Radeon X1900XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

It's a dell precision 380 (that was free 3 years ago)

Recently I've reconnected with a friend at Nvidia. He said he could hook me up with a top of the line card. When I told him my specs he said
    "Dude that is so ancient...do you play games on that?".

Currently I have also a P4 in an ATX case with a sizable power supply thats a few years old. What I'd like to do if possible is reuse the generic beige case that houses the P4 and upgrade the MB, RAM and Proc. In the Dell I've got an X-fi card so I'd swap that over to the new/old machine and install a SB Audigy I got lying around into the Dell. Leave the ATI card in the Dell and install the newer Nvidia card (whatever the hell it is) into the new/old machine. So I end up with two machines. Pretty much my current dell sans Xfi but, plus Audigy and a newer machine in an older atx case with current MB/RAM/Proc/drives+Xfi+spanky-new-nvidiacard

Am I just wasting time here or is this ok.

so what I wonder is...

A. Right now what is one step back from bleeding edge for MB, Proc and Ram?
    (don't really care whether it's AMD or Intel)
    B. Good deal on a SATA drive?
    C. Will my 4 year old power supply and ATX case work for a new board?

Nice thing is I don't have to worry about monitors. I've got an older sony 21 and a Dell LCD 24. Also all optical & floppy drives, keyboards, mice, sound cards, headsets and NICs are sorted.

Let the suggestions begin.

Actually the requirements have changed. So now my friend is hooking me up with an AMD proc, MB and some Ram and the vid card is a 9800 GX2 GPU.

So what I need are

1. Decent Case
    2. Power Supply that is at least 50W+ PSU with 6-pin PCIe and 8-pin PCIe
    3. Good Sata drive

Suggestions

Comment

Edit: Missed reading mapes last reply, so I scrapped my AMD board suggestion.
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Actually I'm all sorted so ignore me.

Comment

*ignore on*

Comment

So what parts did you end up with lol?

Dang it, all that work, it's soooo painful to search newegg
            [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Ok this is whats being kicked down to me

EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard
              Newegg.com - EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache
              Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 GPU
              Newegg.com - XFX PVT98UZHFU GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

2GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

And I bought

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
              Item #: N82E16811129021
              $40.00 Mail-in Rebate

Standard Return Policy

$139.99
              $129.99

Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
              Item #: N82E16817371012
              $50.00 Mail-in Rebate

Standard Return Policy

$299.99
              $239.99

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive
              Item #: N82E16822136012

Comment

That's a horrible hand me down system

JK

Awesome!

Comment

That is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill PSU. As i said in another thread; are you planning on running the rest of your room from it too?

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                    That is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill PSU. As i said in another thread; are you planning on running the rest of your room from it too?
                    I picked it out of the list of approved power supplies for that video card

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
                      I picked it out of the list of approved power supplies for that video card
                      Graphics card suppliers are in cahoots with PSU manufacturers. Of course they're going to spec something as expensive as possible.

550w is more than enough for your rig. Maybe even lower.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                        Graphics card suppliers are in cahoots with PSU manufacturers. Of course they're going to spec something as expensive as possible.

550w is more than enough for your rig. Maybe even lower.
                        I agree with Juneau here, that corsair that I listed would be more than enough, you could even look at their 520w, one of the highest recommended I believe....

Comment

Hey Mapes, feel free to hand that rig down to me when you are done with it.
                          [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Mobojo/Sigs/Sig2.jpg[/img]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X