X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia to buy Via ?

It makes sense ....

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14367

Fresh off its acquisition of Aegia, Nvidia looks to pick up a company with a license to produce x86 chips. Good or bad ???
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Hmm Via makes some interesting compact low power boards. Some of them look like they could make a really good myth box. The only thing that made me hesitate was trying to figure out what board had the right mpg2/4 HW decoder that would be fully supported under Linux drivers..... I kinda gave up on that... Man though some of those mini ITX boards have so many ports populating them it's crazy..

Comment

I love the innovation that Via is achieving. Most power users look at their specs and wrinkle their noses. But once you've seen that Pico-ITX credit card sized board, you need to think outside of the box and realize that it is not meant to replace your desktop PC.
      This thing is meant for specific applications where its super small form factor are the #1 priority for the task at hand. Check out some of the Via forum threads dedicated to these boards, but be ready for sticker shock once you price one out.
      The Via 'Isaiah' processor is indeed a nice x86 chip, and it will not challenge (nor was it meant to) a C2D, but within a year most users will see a Via device that they think they just have to buy.
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

so long as they don't change the ideals of via, i'll be happy. i love itx, and utx products they make. there is a definate use for them. i'd be mad to se them go.

Comment

Nvidia Ftw

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,817   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.