8800GTS G92 or 8800GTX ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8800GTS G92 or 8800GTX ?

Decision time .. I have three days left on my eVGA Step Up and the GTS will cost me a whopping $17 to upgrade to. The GTX is obviously, numbers-wise, a better card, but it is also a $150 upgrade (!!) so is it worth the extra coinage ??

The G92 is based on newer technology and I'll bet it does as good as the GTX under most conditions, so I'm leaning that way. Its also a lot less money, but that doesn't mean I'm ruling out the GTX card.

Sadly, the GX2 is not even close to what I guessed Nvidia would be selling it at, not to mention the fact that it doesn't come out for another week+, and mt Step Up ends in three days.

Sooo, which is it ?? Any suggestions ?? The card will be used on a 19" WS LCD at 1440x900, or I may just yank my existing 8800GTS 640mb card (which is slower than either above card) and use one of them on a 24" LCD at 1920x1200.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

GTS. The price of the GTX isn't worth the performance gains.

Comment

I personally have the GTX but I would suggest you see if you can upgrade to the BFG 8800gtx OC2. And from having a GTS before...I disagree and do say it is worth the xtra $$ for it. But it all comes down to personal preference and what you really are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus View Post
        I personally have the GTX but I would suggest you see if you can upgrade to the BFG 8800gtx OC2. And from having a GTS before...I disagree and do say it is worth the xtra $$ for it. But it all comes down to personal preference and what you really are looking for.
        You had the G80 GTS though didn't you? He wants the G92 which is a lot faster.

Comment

Laf I didnt see that part...but I still suggest gtx OC2 you cant go wrong there

Comment

He is also doing the EVGA stepup, so he cant get a BFG card.

Personally, I would go with the GTS. From what I have seen/heard there is not much of a performance gain with the GTX over the new GTSes.
            [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Looks like most of the benchmarks and reviews indicate the GTS G92 is indeed a very capable performer. I have always wanted to see if the GTX was worth it, but I think its cost prohibitive at this point to spend that amount on it. Since I had to blow $100 last night on another PSU, I think the wise decision based on that purchase would be the GTS.

The eVGA Step Up does not allow you to stet up to an OC or SSC card, so you get a garden variety GTS, albeit a very good card for the investment of $17 !! And of course it has to be an eVGA card (natch) and one that is in stock as well.

I love my current G80 card, and even tho I paid top dollar for it, its still quite capable. This isn't so much an upgrade as a sidegrade, but it is essentially a spare gamer rig so its role will be limited.
              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

GTS....easy choice
                [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Ordered ! GTS it is .. total with shipping - $17.34

Unfortunately, I now lose my 7950GX2 which is a rare bird these days. I love unique cards, and this was a very tough decision to send it back, but the better IQ quality of the GTS and the fact that it is just a better performer makes it an easy decision for anyone other than me.

Wanna know the sad part ?? I've already hit up Ebay in search of another 7950gx2

Comment

Ah, you'll enjoy the GTS though....

yeah that 7950, that was a nice card!!
                    [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

<Homersimpson> DOH !!! </HomerSimpson> Well, the Step Up to the 8800 card is now officially over. My 7950gx2 was mistakenly entered back into the Step Up que, but I was able to proceed as if it was a mistake/oversight on eVGA's part. I uploaded the invoice (for the old 7900GT that the GX2 card replaced) and noticed today that the Step Up was canceled.
                      So I called them up and played dumb for a bit until he pointed out what had in fact happened. I accepted that as their policy and didn't complain, as I really do like the 7950gx2. I'm sure I'd like the 8800GTS too, but, alas, twas not to be.

We both had issues even getting on the eVGA site, as they are now getting hammered with people looking to Step Up to the released 9800gx2, so for now I'll stick with the 7950gx2 in that PC and enjoy it for what it is ... a spare gamer rig that hasn't even played one round of CoD4 yet.

Comment

It's too bad you missed out on the step up. Upgrading for $17.00 is a rare opportunity but it also seems that you still like the one you have so I guess it's no biggy.
                        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

n00b question... what is an eVGA Step Up?

Comment

When you buy a part from them you have 90 days to upgrade to a better part for the difference in price.

WT. While searching for a link for Jeffro i went to EVGA and they have a special 120 day program. I don't have timne to read it but here is a link.

http://www.evga.com/articles/396.asp
                            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I myself question (sometimes) why I buy stuff knowing full well I will rarely use it, or even why I bought it in the first place on some occasions. But a few years back, I had hosted some LAN games for friends and I always wanted to have enough gamer PCs to actually not need these guys to bring their own rigs, so I haven't quit planning for LAN'ing, even tho those days are long gone.
                              Anyhoo, I love to tinker, and if everything works then I just tinker some more until I'm not satisfied, then I go buy more hardware. But it gets to be a very expensive hobby at some point, and I would probably get a rude awakening if I sat down and estimated how much $$ I spend each year on hardware.

So for now, I will give up any notion of buying another video card. Its wasted $$ at this point, unless I end up hosting a PA LAN party. Hmmm, now that sounds like fun !!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X