Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I keep losing my Internet connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I keep losing my Internet connection?

I just built a new rig specifically to play COD4 on the Lair. I'm happy to report that while this was my first build ever, everything went very smoothly and I have had minimal problems so far. I've been getting fragged pretty regularly in the Lair for the last few days.

But I do have one glitch that's kinda irritating. Upon waking my computer from sleep mode, and sometimes on startup, my machine loses connection to the Internet. It says it cannot find any networks. It's a very spotty problem and happens maybe one out of every five times I start the computer.

But all I have to do to remedy the situation is unplug the Cat-5 from the Ethernet port and plug it back in. Within seconds it finds the network and I have Internet access again. FYI, I'm using the NIC interface on the back of the MB. It has dual ports, and both of them have had this problem.

I thought the problem might be in my wireless router, but I disconnected that and just used the cable modem supplied to me by RoadRunner and still have the problem. Also, my old computer never had this problem, and my laptop never loses the network even when the new desktop does.

I suspect this is an OS issue (Vista 64 Home Premium), but haven't been able to find any remedies. Maybe SP1 will fix it. I hope.

Here are my system specs:

E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 ghz
    abit IP35Pro
    Mushkin RAM (2 x 2GB)
    XFX 8800GT
    Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Samsung SuperWrite DVD burner
    WD Caviar 750GB HDD
    Antec P182 Case
    Antec 550w PSU

Any ideas on fixing the problem? I mean other than uninstalling Vista 64 of course.

It is indeed an OS issue, and the #1 complaint with Vista (please refrain from the obvious jokes here guys!!) is the awaken from sleep option is borked.

SP1 should address this, so hopefully you will have luck with that. I don't even bother with Sleep mode until SP1 comes out, so I let mine run 24/7.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I really don't understand the benefit of sleep mode. It's only a little faster than shutting down and restarting.

Comment

Sleep mode sucks.. on any operating system. Hibernate, sleep, whatever you wanna call it sucks. Most of the time it causes serious problems. I have seen where the computer never wakes without yanking the power cable and I've even had to remove a cmos battery or two to get the thing to power on again. I would suggest putting only the monitor to sleep.

I have vista and I have never lost connection except for the first time I plugged it in I had trouble getting it to see the connection but since then I have no issues. I don't use the sleep option either. My computer stays running 24/7 and the monitor powers off after 30 seconds of inactivity. Moving the mouse wakes the monitor, but all else stays running.

Comment

Originally posted by -IRC-MIKE
          Sleep mode sucks.. on any operating system. Hibernate, sleep, whatever you wanna call it sucks. Most of the time it causes serious problems. I have seen where the computer never wakes without yanking the power cable and I've even had to remove a cmos battery or two to get the thing to power on again. I would suggest putting only the monitor to sleep.

I have vista and I have never lost connection except for the first time I plugged it in I had trouble getting it to see the connection but since then I have no issues. I don't use the sleep option either. My computer stays running 24/7 and the monitor powers off after 30 seconds of inactivity. Moving the mouse wakes the monitor, but all else stays running.
          +1 to all the above. Except i don't have Vista.

W00t, Tuck is another IP35 Pro user.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X