Anyone using Homeplug AV/AV2 devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using Homeplug AV/AV2 devices?

I've pretty much always had hard lines in my residences. Since I sold my last home and downsized to apartments there hasn't been an Ethernet jack available where I most need one (I do have a 50' cable but really). Also, I now use a higher end laptop rather than a desktop so I want the highest speed possible.

I am behind the times and recently read about devices like the TP-Link AV1000 Powerline Ethernet Adapter, which provides Ethernet connection via your residence's power lines after first being connected to a high-speed router. Sold in pairs (to get started), the first is plugged in to an electrical outlet and connected to the router. The second is plugged into an outlet near your device and "paired" to the first, which is then connected to the desired device via a standard high-speed Ethernet cable.

I'm sure there are better than the one I linked to. Just wondering if anyone has real world experience with this technology.
    --Slaughter

Never knew it came into a home scenario. This isn't a new tech in idea, saw a show on it using power lines to send signals to rural areas. I think the problem was each connection downgraded something.

Comment

I know a few people who use them for linking older non wifi dvd players and such for netflix.
      They seem to not complain about them, personally i would not use them for anything that needs a lot of consistant speed and reliablilty.
      Internal noise on your wiring also takes its toll on the speeds it will acheive, so i would try keep it off the same loops as fridges and aircon etc

Personally I dont like them, I dont like the idea of pumping low frequency radio waves into a giant circular antenna built into my house

It does cause wider interfence, a house i know have it and every day i'd drive past it and my radio goes BBUUUUUZZZZZZ all the way past it!
      But I'm biased though... my HAM Licence causes me to be a bit funny about it all...

...but would use them if it was needed I guess.
      I've run proper ethernet cables along the edges of the rooms behind the carpet runners.

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
      ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
        Never knew it came into a home scenario. This isn't a new tech in idea, saw a show on it using power lines to send signals to rural areas. I think the problem was each connection downgraded something.
        I remember the talk about that scenario years ago which makes some sense for people way out in the sticks and I guess that was the last I heard or thought about it.

Originally posted by Sirex View Post
        I know a few people who use them for linking older non wifi dvd players and such for netflix.
        They seem to not complain about them, personally i would not use them for anything that needs a lot of consistant speed and reliablilty.
        Internal noise on your wiring also takes its toll on the speeds it will acheive, so i would try keep it off the same loops as fridges and aircon etc

Personally I dont like them, I dont like the idea of pumping low frequency radio waves into a giant circular antenna built into my house

It does cause wider interfence, a house i know have it and every day i'd drive past it and my radio goes BBUUUUUZZZZZZ all the way past it!
        But I'm biased though... my HAM Licence causes me to be a bit funny about it all...

...but would use them if it was needed I guess.
        I've run proper ethernet cables along the edges of the rooms behind the carpet runners.
        Ha. I'm old enough to know you aren't referring to pork. :

Had not thought about noise degrading the signal or making car radios buzz. I have a gigabit connection so WiFi is pretty good but you know, it's never fast enough. If I were to snake a cable it would still have to cross the entryway and kitchen floors.

Thanks for the input!
        --Slaughter

Comment

Being a HAM is the greatest thing ever!

WiFi is good... but i prefer my cables lol

Where my vdsl terminates I have 2 choices of routes, i have concrete floors... if i go left i have to take a long path via the living room or take a path via the kitchen, and a tiled hall way but its shorter...

Been lucky enough that the room its starts in has laminate flooring, so I run 2 cables in the 'expansion space' for the laminate near the wall, under the pretty cover.
          I've found that going up in mini trunking beside door frames and in the ceiling/wall corner works to make it pretty invisible.

I have 3 spread out cables, one goes from the 'back room' where the vdsl is, into the living room, that ones the worst run as the gap below the double doors is pretty tight...

Next 2 goes as above, once they leave the kitchen, one heads up via the corner of the stairway and then goes into the gap between the wall and runners once its over the top.
          other runs in mini trunking along the corner of the wall/ceiling, pretty unnoticeable, then terminates in the old garage. which is now the room where scott's ps4 and stuff is.

Door ways are the worst bit, but those runners that join the carpets are a god send!
          if your careful enough with the screws you can run it in the little gap, but i have had to cut some underlay away under the runner to make room, works a treat.
          Great for slipping the cables into rooms, clip of the end a little or if there is those little bars in the middle under it remove them and tada!

I was also lucky and we have quite thick underlay installed, so i sliced out a narrow 'valley' and run it under the carpets when i had to cross 2 short areas.
          would think that it would damage them but never had an issue with them, and can only feel one... but i know its there

Creativity was key, and non invasive installing of cables is tricky, but i go with hardly noticable.
          If someone walks and never spots it, I'm happy

Comment

My home is pier and beam so I just run my cables under the house.
            If you are running under carpet they do make flat ethernet cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Inte.../dp/B00WD017BG
            Or look into ultra thin cable.
            https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters.../dp/B01CRFVJW8
            Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
            Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
            I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

On a building show . They ran the cable along the upper part of the walls behind the crown molding. This would just leave you one up and down, if you can place the vertical in a closet nobody would see it and could make the jack through the closet walls.

Comment

The last home I built in Memphis I added Cat 5 and Ethernet jacks during the build. An upstairs bedroom/office was where they fed into the router. But here the only carpet is in my bedroom.
                --Slaughter

Comment

Only thing about prebuilt places, running cables is tricky.

Some flats, appartments, here have false ceilings, which prove useful for feeding cables, only pain is coming back down, but suppose trunking if your not willing to hole the walls would do it.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                  Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X