question on monitors`

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question on monitors`

Ok so the new computer is coming in next week and i might get a new monitor to keep up with the system.

While doing research I noticed that all the 4k monitors are only getting 60hz... any idea why?

Also any suggestions. Current monitor is 24 inches and don't really need to get up much bigger then 28.

looking at pricing around $500 i guess?

Pure bandwidth id imagine.
    Cables can only handle so much data before issues occour.

But if i was to guess properly, it might be that its only been what a year and a half that the standard for hdmi 2.1 was put out that allows 120hz 4k meani g that all hdmi 2b and before display devices can only diaplay 4k at 60hz.

Now why did i waffle about that, dvi which you may use is based off hdmi, which is why they are pretty much interchangable at low cost...

Bad news is your stuck with hdmi standards, id wait another 6mths let graphics card makers and monitor makers catch up.

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
    ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Originally posted by Sirex View Post
      Pure bandwidth id imagine.
      Cables can only handle so much data before issues occour.

But if i was to guess properly, it might be that its only been what a year and a half that the standard for hdmi 2.1 was put out that allows 120hz 4k meani g that all hdmi 2b and before display devices can only diaplay 4k at 60hz.

Now why did i waffle about that, dvi which you may use is based off hdmi, which is why they are pretty much interchangable at low cost...

Bad news is your stuck with hdmi standards, id wait another 6mths let graphics card makers and monitor makers catch up.
      well your late.
      Went with a 27 inch tn monitor getting 165 FPS. Didn't know that FPS is better through display port then HDMI.
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-660-_-Product

Comment

Nice monitor, thin bezel on it too?

Sorry it was a bit late, I was away for a week so missed your inital post.

Yeah displayport is better in my opinion for computers, as it was made for computers and display equiptment.
        If i remember right it also has had 4k at high FPS support for a while...

HDMI is more for TV and AV purposes really, its created by the media industry to allow their equiptment to work better together, so the speed of its develpoment reflects as such.
        Its used by stuff cos well, more and more people use their TV's for their PC or hook laptops up to them and its just easier to use 1 connector for a user.
        Plus its pretty slimline as well, call it user lazyness and ease of use of stuff that makes it rampent in the PC world.
        Its basicly USB of the AV world, but do you know the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none"?

DVI was created by some PC companies, but it is based of HDMI (directly or not it does have a lot of 1 for 1s)...
        It just does not have all the extras like audio, ethernet etc but is more useful as it caries not only digital but analog too so making it a pretty univeral connection, so can see why it took off.
        Plus DVI I think does not cost makers where as display port does, and HDMI (to certify) does too.
        But as it essentually mirrors HDMI its slow to adapt.

Maybe not the industry opinion but it is mine, if you can use display port do so, its just better
        Noticed that monitor comes with a DisplayPort cable anyway, so looks like ASUS know DVI/HDMI's short commings.

Comment

The monitor is just a little too large
          I would argue you should go for 25 over 27. Until you actually use it for a while it is hard to tell.
          Just a little too large for most of my uses.. a little more travel for eyesight and mouse clicks.

I would have loved to go for a 4k but the FPS aren't up yet.

The colors are so much more vivid then before with things like pub g

Comment

I have a 24 inch ASUS here, I found its travel distance quite suitable myself.
            Have often thought about getting a bigger one, but yeah if you have to turn your head to see the sides of the screen its just a little too big.
            Plus how close you sit to it plays a factor, im about arms length from mine, so 24 is kind of the limit for me.

Mine has quite a few settings on it to correct the colors and things, has a night mode which I love to use well at night.
            I have my ChromeCast attached to it and stream stuff to it at night, fire on night mode (which I tweaked to be more red than blue).

Would try 4k but I really have had no real insentive to go for it, seen 4k in use and it is pretty and all but 1080p seems to work for me just now.

Good to hear montiors are getting more vivid though, a lot of the time, even with my monitor adjusted and calabrated my phone gets more pure whites and black blacks than my screen.

Comment

I like 27 inch monitors myself. I use mine in my business and the more I can fit on the screen at once means less switching or scrolling.
              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                I like 27 inch monitors myself. I use mine in my business and the more I can fit on the screen at once means less switching or scrolling.
                Apache
                I agree for business in multiple screens up it would be better.

This screen is more then arms length away. I don't have to turn my head but i do have to move my eyes to focus on something.

Comment

Yeah same with mine, i only have to move my eyes. Any bigger and i would have to start moving my head a little.

Big monitors do have their place certainly, but for things like gaming I would say anything that you have to do more than shift your eyes for is way too much.

Comment

You will love you monitor, you may want to experiment with using a FPS cap to get smooth movement in FPS games, 165 FPS at 1440p is asking a lot, I had to use one of those cards the other day and I use a 120 fps cap, it ran wonderfully.

Congrats on the whole new rig, I love new PC parts.
                    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
                      You will love you monitor, you may want to experiment with using a FPS cap to get smooth movement in FPS games, 165 FPS at 1440p is asking a lot, I had to use one of those cards the other day and I use a 120 fps cap, it ran wonderfully.

Congrats on the whole new rig, I love new PC parts.
                      I just is an overlock on the monitor .. hit button and it goes as high as possible. The monitor has its own fps counter. Runs smooth as pie for me at 2k .
                      Though i just played and forgot to toggle the FPS settings was on sRGB setting instead. Not sure all the charastics.

There are some people who tell you what are the optimal settings for the monitor. Just haven't looked for it yet.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                      Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X