Help a fool get a new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help a fool get a new computer

So the old computer is doing well. I just want something new.
    My last purchase was from Digital Storm and I have no problem going back to them to build it.

I want to find the sweet spot with regard to processor vs cost. Guessing I will be in the $2k-$3k Range in the end.

The first question i guess is I7 or I9 processor . I see there are I9's with different cores(10-12-14-16). $500-$1400 more then the I7's

Then I guess I will need help on the mother boards.. I have a 1060 video card now and wonder if I should do a dual or single 1080

This doesn't answer your question at all.
    Don't be too shocked at the currently high cost of building a PC, mostly due to DDR4 ram & graphics. Here is a three part report.
    https://www.techspot.com/article/156...a-ddr4-memory/

Comment

I am not that shocked on the pricing or at least i am ok with it now.
      Though the article did talk about new cards coming out soon, so the video cards might take a dive.

Sadly your right doesn't answer my question on the processor speeds.

Comment

on the flip side i found a processor comparison tool. Please take a look and tell me what you think
        http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...600K/3928vs621

I have the i7 2600k 3.4ghz

my computer
        http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7925632

Comment

Id give you a hand, but hardware is not my bag.

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

Ā·Ā·Ā·Ā·Ā·ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ Support Cainslair. Donate here!ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢Ā·Ā·Ā·Ā·Ā·
          Ā·Ā·Ā·Ā·Ā·ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ and get extra options! ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢Ā·Ā·Ā·Ā·Ā·

Comment

any ideas would help. I just am slogging through information right now.

Comment

An Intel i7 8700K, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM with an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING or ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING (onboard WiFi version) motherboard is what i would go with if i was building a PC right now, i'd keep hold of that GTX1060 for a little while longer as new GPU's from nvidia will be dropping fairly soon if rumors are to be believed.
              UT2004, FOREVER!!!!

Comment

This is what I bought about a year ago.
                ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 ATX Motherboard with Onboard AC Wi-Fi and USB 3.1
                Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor
                32GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series
                Cooler Master HAF X - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with Windowed Side Panel and USB 3.0 Ports
                Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M.2
                I kept my EVGA 1060 and am waiting for prices to drop.
                I love the Strix MOBs
                Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by *THOR* View Post
                  An Intel i7 8700K, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM with an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING or ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING (onboard WiFi version) motherboard is what i would go with if i was building a PC right now, i'd keep hold of that GTX1060 for a little while longer as new GPU's from nvidia will be dropping fairly soon if rumors are to be believed.
                  Why those motherboards. I never got into the differences.

Comment

Ok so if anyone could help me here . Looks like the 6 core is the better overall value vs the 8 core
                    http://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuild....89385?tab=CPU

2 builds i am looking at 8700.
                    https://www.digitalstorm.com/configu...asp?id=1754043
                    and 7820x
                    https://www.digitalstorm.com/configu...asp?id=1745107

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                      Why those motherboards. I never got into the differences.
                      The ASUS Strix motherboards are just decent all round boards for reasonable prices, only difference between the two I recommended is that one of them has a WiFi adapter on the board, if you’re using a wired internet connection and have no reason to use wireless then the first board would be the better/cheaper option.
                      UT2004, FOREVER!!!!

Comment

Asus Strix boards are well built with features found on more expensive boards and ROG boards make overclocking a breeze.
                        The successor to Pro Gaming motherboards
                        5-Way Optimization with Auto-Tuning and FanXpert 4 automatically tailors overclocking profiles to your unique build for maximum OC performance and dynamic system cooling
                        Unmatched personalization with ASUS exclusive AURA Sync RGB lighting, two additional RGB headers and a 3D-printing friendly mount
                        Maximize your connectivity and speed with Dual M.2, front panel USB 3.1, onboard 802.11ac Wifi and IntelĀ® Optane™ Memory compatibility
                        Two Patent-pending SafeSlots feature an injection molding process that integrates metal framing for a stronger, firmly anchored PCIe slot built for heavyweight GPUs
                        Industry-leading 8-channel HD audio with the ROG exclusive SupremeFX S1220A driven by Japanese capacitors
                        M.2 SSDs are very fast and strix boards allow you to have two m.2 drives.
                        Audio is excellent.
                        Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                        Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                        I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

CPU? The answer always depends on how the PC will be used. For myself I'd choose the cheaper Intel Core i7-8700K over a i7-7820X because many web articles recommend the 8700K for gaming systems. The message I get is that I'd never see a difference between the two.

My next PC is still a year or so out, so I have no horse in this race. By then, Meltdown and Spectre will be old news.

Comment

How much does the CPU effect 4k video?

Comment

For video, CPU has a key role, less crucial than GPU, but still important.

Here's some nice testing by Anandtech using GTX1080 cards on a game benchmark. (hover mouse over small charts to show larger) - August 10, 2017
                              https://www.anandtech.com/show/11697...920x-review/16

They show that the CPU makes a contribution to frame rate under benchmark conditions. This is obvious at 1080p, but at 4K the CPUs look very similar. I assume that at 4k the GTX1080 cards were the bigger bottleneck than CPU.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X