Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juneau View Post
    That's my exact setup too!

Will be getting a NAS soon for proper cetralised storage for all my players around the house and OS backups.
    This is what I do, and the NAS (FreeNAS) has a RAID 50 (2 RAID 5's in a striped array). BUT I also have 2 Windows servers with plain old hard drives each with a single partition that the NAS backs it's directories up to. This way, if I for some reason cannot recover the RAID array, I have 2 copies of all of my data in plain old hard drives, so that even if the server rack burns up (where the NAS and one of the Windows servers are) and the Windows server in another location fails, I can still yank the drives from it and put them in another PC.

Once you realize that a 12 TB RAID array takes 3 days to rebuild, and you watch it fail during the rebuild, you realize how important duplicating data off of DIFFERENT filestructures is.

As for SSD optimization, Win7 and 8 are optimized in that they change a few settings for SSD drives, but if you want to squeeze every last bit of performance and longevity out of the SSD, follow the steps in this article:

http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guid...ation-guide-2/

* accept for the parts that are 'not quite safe or recommended.

My PC goes from off to windows login screen in 5 seconds, and in the middle of the night when I get woken up by a call from work, I am often logged in, into the web browser, and into LogMeIn to the work PC before the windows startup sound plays.

Comment

I'll be going JBOD with my NAS as my needs of overall storage space far out weighs redundancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
        It is not really the reliability I'm concerned about it is the durability. These SSDs have a finite number of times that they can be written to. That was not something I realized.
        That's why I got one of these: http://www.storagereview.com/intel_s...erprise_review

I need my PC as workstation, so I thought it would be wise to try to get a ssd with more durability.
        Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

There has been an update to Samsung Magician that, for me, is screwed up. It now sees my E: drive, Raid 0 array, as also being an SSD EVO. So now it will not set my real SSD C:, to Rapid Mode. Also will not do firmware updates due to it thinking there are 2 SSDs. Hopefully Samsung fixes this quickly.
          A change of Pace.
          "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Originally posted by paceman View Post
            There has been an update to Samsung Magician that, for me, is screwed up. It now sees my E: drive, Raid 0 array, as also being an SSD EVO. So now it will not set my real SSD C:, to Rapid Mode. Also will not do firmware updates due to it thinking there are 2 SSDs. Hopefully Samsung fixes this quickly.
            Would probably be a good idea to send an email their way. The more people that report a problem like this the quicker a fix usually is.

Comment

I looked on their site and see nothing about contacting tech support. It's a pretty poor site all in all.

Also this morning I received a pop-up that said new firmware was available. I went into Magician and it would not allow me to update the firmware. So I rebooted again and this time clicked on the pop-up and it installed the firmware update. Weirdness.
              A change of Pace.

Comment

http://www.oo-software.com/en/docs/w...er/ood_ssd.pdf
                Have a gander at this paper, even o&o a decent defrag comp says no dont defrag an ssd

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
                ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

I looked on their site and see nothing about contacting tech support. It's a pretty poor site all in all.

Also this morning I received a pop-up that said new firmware was available. I went into Magician and it would not allow me to update the firmware. So I rebooted again and this time clicked on the pop-up and it installed the firmware update. Weirdness.
                  Not sure if the US site is a lot different but the UK site is brilliant. Took me about 10 seconds to find the contact help page.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/info/contactus.html

Direct link to popup contact form.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/erms1

Comment

To optimize an SSD. Follow these steps. I found these tips off of Newegg when I purchased my SSD. They do work.

Quote "Other Thoughts: Ok, for the long list of tweaks to reduce the wear on the drive I did the following in Windows 7:

1. Move the following to a spindle drive:
                    - Event log files (do this within event viewer, not by editing as MS suggests, because it does not work)
                    - Page file
                    - Distributed computing programs (Folding@Home, SETI, et al)
                    - Web browser cache folders
                    - Anything else that makes a lot of writes (log files, etc)

2. Disable hibernation (google the command for it)
                    3. Run Intel SSD Toolbox and SSD Tweaker (google for these apps)
                    4. Compress Program Folders and any app folder (according to posts on hardforum.com this boosts performance for reads, and I have noticed this improvement myself)

Note: run bitlocker before installing programs or it stutter the system until it is completely encrypted. Also according to MS and I confirmed this, bitlocker does not affect TRIM at all; therefore you can safely encrypt your drive and have TRIM still work.

Enjoy!"

Comment

A lot of that hasn't been necessary in a long time now. SSD's are far more durable than when those tips were useful.

Comment

So I found it here - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/email/product/

First drop box - Office - and it hilights the next drop down.
                        2nd drop box - Memory & Storage - Now nothing happens. 3rd drop box stays greyed out. No where to continue. Change the 2nd box to something other than memory & storage and the 3rd drop box hilights with more choices.

So apparently the web site is broken also.
                        A change of Pace.

Comment

I went ahead and used the link Sirex provided to the UK site. Explaining my problem with the SSD and the US website was broken.
                          A change of Pace.

Comment

I went ahead and used the link Sirex provided to the UK site. Explaining my problem with the SSD and the US website was broken.
                            *clears throat*

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                              *clears throat*
                              DOH! The link that Juneau provided. Sorry mate.
                              A change of Pace.

Comment

DOH! The link that Juneau provided. Sorry mate.

Hope it helps you out.

I'm guessing you've tried uninstalling and installing the new version again with reboots in between each step?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X