No announcement yet.

Windows 64 bit or Vista 64?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No need to pay for Vista ... I have two free copies already, missed out on a third thanks to a blizzard last year on February 14, and have a fourth (well, third actually) copy coming in March for free.

1) Vista Business (Power Together webinar deal)
    2) MCE2005 purchase->Vista Home Premium upgrade coupon
    3) MS 'A New Day' seminar (Vista Ult + MS Office 2007) <- missed this one
    4) Vista Ultimate (Windows Feedback program) - coming in March

It just pays to search the Hot Deals forums on a daily basis (SlickDeals, Fat Wallet, etc.).

I have to say I wouldn't want to pay for it, but in my job its fairly easy to find copies if you need them.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

vista x64 can be a headache or a god send. x64 REQUIRES SIGNED drivers. it helps because it doesn't allow badly coded software. it hurts because not everyone is willing to go through m$'s WHQL testing at their cost, so they just don't make them.

Comment

how do we know when feedback will give us our copy of vista?

emaiL?

Comment

Originally posted by imlittlev
          how do we know when feedback will give us our copy of vista?

emaiL?

yes just remember what email you used...

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
            vista x64 can be a headache or a god send. x64 REQUIRES SIGNED drivers. it helps because it doesn't allow badly coded software. it hurts because not everyone is willing to go through m$'s WHQL testing at their cost, so they just don't make them.
            Most people don't know this, but you can actually turn this functionality off.
            [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again
              Most people don't know this, but you can actually turn this functionality off.
              except on the ultimate edition, unless they released a patch i didn't read up on. They advertised for thelongest time that the "ultimate" edition of X64 it could not be turned off, to provide the best stability, and it had to meet M$'s standards.

What made the whole statement funny was that windows says its 100% stable, its the 3rd party stuff thats flawed. and as such they are requireing the dirvers to meet the same m$ standards that M$ uses on itself. did i miss the fact m$ has never made a bug proof or even clsoe to it, product?

Comment

except on the ultimate edition, unless they released a patch i didn't read up on. They advertised for thelongest time that the "ultimate" edition of X64 it could not be turned off, to provide the best stability, and it had to meet M$'s standards.

What made the whole statement funny was that windows says its 100% stable, its the 3rd party stuff thats flawed. and as such they are requireing the dirvers to meet the same m$ standards that M$ uses on itself. did i miss the fact m$ has never made a bug proof or even clsoe to it, product?
                I am running Vista Ultimate x64, and I have it turned off. At one point, they released a patch that forced it to stay on even if you disabled it. I removed that patch and was able to disable it again.
                (I had to disable it for Rivatuner to work)
                [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

ah ha. i was under the impression windows update would keep putting it back on!

Comment

I've run both x64 and Vista Ultimate 64, I prefer the Vista by far.

Comment

I have Vista Ultimate 64 and it is by far the best OS Ive ran before...I have never had issues with signed drivers either

Comment

so how can i get a evaluation copy of vista x64?

i'ven running XP x64 for almost 2 years now, at the beginning was a nightmare for drivers support but now is easier. x64 make my computer like 50% faster than the x32 version.

So maybe i can give it a try to the vista x64...

Comment

I have this nightmare that if I install a 64-bit OS, I can kiss Syndicate and Master of Magic goodbye...

Comment

LOL! I thought I was the only one that still played master of magic. Talk about a game that needs a sequel....

"Old man, you seek the spell of Mastery" FTW!!!!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                            Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X