No announcement yet.

Windows XP SP3 RC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep in mind that the upgrade to XP was an easy choice, given that most users were running Win98 rigs ... so yea, that was a no brainer !! Any user/IT person/small business was pleased as punch to get rid of the horrendous 98 OS, where one hung application took down the entire OS !!!
    Even the large brands such as Dell and Gateway knew it would be better, even with the early adapter's various problems getting drivers for older hardware that had no XP drivers.

90% of home users were not using Windows 2000, released before XP and just as stable as XP, altho it lacked some of the features that made it into XP eventually, such as the firewall.

So the upgrade to Vista, which has very little in terms of new features, is not anywhere near as important as it was from 98 to XP. If Vista had offered as much stability improvement to the kernel and additional features that XP lacked, we would be bugging every gamer on this forum to upgrade to it to resolve the issues, but so far there is no compelling argument to make for Vista.

So, in a nutshell, people have decided that XP was satisfactory in its purpose ... run my software without crashing frequently, and protect me from internet hacks, and I'm happy. Vista cannot, on the surface, offer more than that, even if its performance was better than XP (it is not).

What blows my mind is that people seem to think a newer OS will be faster than the old one ... W.. T ... F ... ???? So if I was running a vintage Win98 box (P3/733, 256 RAM) and I loaded XP on that, do you REALLY think gaming would be faster in XP ?

So regardless of whether you plan on upgrading to Vista somewhere down the line, or you wait until the arrival of MS next OS (only 2 years away, woohoo !!) you simply cannot force Microsoft to abandon their current OS and support XP (its now 6+ years since its intro) for longer than they really want to. SP3 is the beginning of the end ... enjoy it while it lasts.

PS - I ran Win2000 on ALL of my boxes until 2005, so don't think I am an MS or even an XP fan. I hated the move to XP, because it was forced by MS just to play a damn game - Dungeon Siege II. I also resisted the move to play my games in Win95 ... I still own Warcraft II for DOS !!! MAKE A BOOT FLOPPY, you lazy Win95 gamers !!!

Ughh, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I have just booted into XP on my desktop for the first time in months just to try this. I am dling now.

Thanks for the linkage BA.
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Might try this if/when i get my second rig up and running. This won't be touching my main rig though and neither will the final until at least 2 weeks after it's release, just in case there are any "bad reports".

Comment

uneau, you STILL don't have my new pc up and running?

Windows XP RC3 - just another reason to ignore Vista.

Comment

Well so far I don't notice any difference and my otb 3D06 score went down about 1400. I hope I just screwed up one of the many updates I have made this morning.
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

i'm mad now... just got my new rig and i put vista on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro
                i'm mad now... just got my new rig and i put vista on it.

You know, XP Pro can still be bought for 120 or so, AND, you can dual boot

Comment

heres a question....is this for Home edition or Pro only? I have Pro
                  [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

You know, XP Pro can still be bought for 120
                    Uhhh, I get Pro Upgrade retail for $86 .... Academic license=sweet !!!

Whats' really annoying is that the LIU unit sells it to the district for $27 per license, but it has to be bought using a school purchase order #. Dagnabbit, if I could use cash, I'd buy 10 licenses and be set for years and years !!!
                    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

WT, Thats the upgrade from 98 or me right? i am talking about the Full RETAIL OEM copy. and :P on your academic licenses. i wish i had one of those. rofl.

as far as Home or pro, SP3 is for both.

Comment

What exactly does the service pack do? When someone told me about it a couple of weeks ago I looked around a little and didnt seem to find any release notes or anything like that on what its suppose to do.
                        [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Mobojo/Sigs/Sig2.jpg[/img]

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Comment

WT, Thats the upgrade from 98 or ME right? I am talking about the Full RETAIL OEM copy
                            ^^ OEM is for sissy boys and grandparents.

FULL RETAIL UPGRADE - XP SP2 - $75+shipping. :P back atcha .. PM sent.

muhahahaa .... there is something special about those full retail upgrades !!

Comment

Vista isn't that bad if you run the classic xp theme and disable the stupid warning messages.
                              Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

Wow I'm not really thrilled about this service pack. To be honest the only three things that intrest me are

WPA2
                                XML schema update
                                Windows intaller update

I think I can hold off.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X