Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saitek Rat 7 Cyborg Mouse Review

Hey guys,
    I wanted to take the time out to review this mouse and let you guys know my impressions of the mouse so that if you ever get interested in a mouse you'll have a bit more information for a product such as this.

I'll start with the customization. I've heard from people that they've got big hands and that they need a big mouse. I don't have big hands so I can not say if this mouse is for you. I would say that if you can handle the Logitech G5 with comfort, you'll be comfortable with this mouse.

The largest seller point on this mouse is of course the pinky rest. Even the thumb rest is intelligently designed so that you can rest your thumb naturally on a flat surface. The Rat 7 gently glides over everything. Finally I can say I've got a mouse that feels like an extension of my hand.

I will of course say that this mouse is heavy. With 30g weights installed, the mouse is difficult to control minor movements. Once the weights have been taken out, it becomes easier to control.

If you're looking for a mouse that has a high range of DPI, this is it. Though you don't need 5600 DPI. Of course 5600 DPI does come in handy when you're faced with something like controlling the Soflam. Even at 5600 DPI I notice that I have to pick up the mouse to recenter it. This is a software issue with Battlefield 3, not the mouse.

Truthfully speaking, you only need 1000 DPI at the most for precise control. If you have a heavy hand and flick the mouse like crazy, then you'll want to lower your DPI settings for the best results. If you guide the mouse using your pinky, you're definitely going to want this for the pinky rest alone. I'm sure alot of you have had the problem where you'll guide the mouse with your pinky and all of a sudden your pinky gets caught on the surface where it doesn't move. That is why the pinky rest is so great on this mouse. It literally feels like you're not thinking about the mouse, but rather moving your hand in sync with the screen.

The sniper button is a draw back and a disappointment of mine. It would've been better if the sniper button was toggle rather than holding it down. This sniper button cuts your DPI in half of what you're using. For example if you have 1000 DPI and hold down the sniper button (red button on the thumb side) you will then have 500 DPI until you let go of the button. This makes for great sniping to make those small adjustments. It's also great when you need a high DPI for running no scoped.

All in all, this mouse is wonderful. I would recommend this to anyone that plays FPS games. The shape is a bit awkward and unique to other mice so keep this in mind. There's a slight learning curve if you will with this mouse. You won't get comfortable with it right away. This I will warn you. Which is why alot of people say they don't like this mouse. They say it's too heavy, it doesn't feel right in their hand. Preference is everything when coming to comfort, but as for precision, this game is up there with the $150 mice.

$69.99 at Gamestop the last time I checked, but you have to order it online.

I've got two words for this mouse. PINKY REST!!!

I only had time to scan your review but the pinky rest thing jumped out at me and reminds me of some comments made by Mapes I think.

I have always flirted with getting this mouse but at this time I'm happy with my G500.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you Duke. I'd like to try it out, especially for $70, but can't really justify it since my G9 still works.
      [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I'd say try it out and return it to the store lol

Comment

Yeah I've been using the RAT 7 since BC2. I have found the mouse to be easily configured. I have fairly large hands so I use both the pinky rest and the thumb rest. I like the idea of the sniper button but, I've never used it cause the motion seems kinda weird. What I mean is I hold the mouse between my pinky and thumb. I leave my index and pointer over LMB and RMB. It seems like a reach to both hold the mouse and the reach for the sniper button. Ditto for the two buttons on the side near the sniper button. Also you can set via the software the DPI setting for the sniper button not just .5 of current DPI. This mouse also has a thumb scroll wheel (it has a normal scroll wheel too). I've never setup the thumb scroll wheel either for the same reason.. Over all I like the mouse.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X