No announcement yet.

Help Me Assemble My Mom's Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assembly was a success. Thanks to everyone who helped. Pictures below of the final assembly. Only thing I did wrong was I forgot to install the motherboard back panel onto the case before I installed the motherboard. So I had to unscrew the motherboard from the case after I had everything, and I mean everything connected, slide it a tad, install the back panel cover, and rescrew in the motherboard.

I've installed Windows 7 Enterprise and currently going through the Windows updates. I've installed Windows Security Essentials and all the other nick nacks and so far so good.

Thanks!

Nauticas

Comment

Nice!
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_chef View Post
        if you know what to do. a failed BIOS flash can usually be repaired.
        Not always... Many backplanes and other really dumb server hardware (not complex) can become utterly useless ans irrecoverable if something flashes wrong. This is more likely to happen if you flash it with the wrong thing than if it fails, as most firmware updates can backup the existing configuration to undo a problem. Don't ask me why this is the way it is, but here is an example: On our intel servers, if you flash a 4 bay hot swap backplane with the 6 bay firmware or the other way around, t hey become bricked.

One of the many reasons why you should only flash firmware if something is broken (in our case the firmware fixed an issue where the backplanes would disappear along with their drives) or you need features that come with the firmware update.

Comment

Originally posted by NateTheBrewer View Post
          Not always... Many backplanes and other really dumb server hardware (not complex) can become utterly useless ans irrecoverable if something flashes wrong. This is more likely to happen if you flash it with the wrong thing than if it fails, as most firmware updates can backup the existing configuration to undo a problem. Don't ask me why this is the way it is, but here is an example: On our intel servers, if you flash a 4 bay hot swap backplane with the 6 bay firmware or the other way around, t hey become bricked.

One of the many reasons why you should only flash firmware if something is broken (in our case the firmware fixed an issue where the backplanes would disappear along with their drives) or you need features that come with the firmware update.
          I think not always=usually some times

and I was speaking of consumer PCs not servers. perhaps I should have been more clear.

Comment

You are a crappy wire organizer lol

I hate top mounted PSUs, I thought they stopped making them 60 years ago.

Apart from that it looks pretty awesome! When is your mother coming down and playing BF3?

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
              You are a crappy wire organizer lol

I hate top mounted PSUs, I thought they stopped making them 60 years ago.
              I moved the wires so the CPU fan has a direct air way to the air path on the outside of the case. After I booted it up and did a stress test the CPU temperatures were staying well below 65C and it idles at like 28C. So I saw no need to get all crazy with it.

Top mounted PSUs are the most common type in the commercial and home markets, not sure why you think they went away.
              Nauticas

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X