Need a new(er) video card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new(er) video card

Wifey bought the kids a new 32" 720p LCD TV for the kitchen. I want to hook up the kitchen PC to this new TV (primarily for Netflix), but my connections aren't compatible: the TV has a 9-pin RGB slot and a pair of HDMIs, but the video card only has two DVIs and an S-video output. I have a DVI-to-RGB converter here at the office and I'm gonna try that later. But when I used this converter at the office, I wasn't happy with the results, so I'm skeptical that will work out well.

I may need to upgrade the GeForce 8800GT in this rig to a newer card with HDMI out, so I'm looking for advice in that regard. Since this is my old gaming rig, which I plan to replace in a year or so, I don't want to spend a lot of money. My budget is probably a hundred bucks or so.

I've been looking at the GeForce GTS 450, which bounces around the hundred dollar mark. In terms of performance, it should be about the same as my 8800GT, or at least that's what I read. I'd like to have a GTX 460, but they run $160+.

Don't know much about AMD's current offerings, but am more than willing to learn.

Advice? Thanks in advance.

Why not a DVI to HDMI cable?

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
      Yes, get a DVI->HDMI cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6ft-Gold-24-...item5d311329bc
      $4.69 w/ Free Shipping from the US to the US.

You're Welcome
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
        Good question. Hadn't actually thought of that. Thanks for the tip. I would expect that since the signal stays digital, I wouldn't have the same problems I had with the DVI-to-RGB connector.

Comment

One problem, I don't think you will get sound if you use DVI-HDMI.
          [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
            Shouldn't be a problem. The TV has a jack for audio in (3.5mm?), so I can route sound from my PC to the TV. The only problem with that is I have to give up my 3.1 PC speaker setup, which I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
              Correct. But I have two TV's in my store hooked up with DVI to HDMI and connected the speakers separately. On is 36" and the other 42".
              It works great.
              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

the HDMI connector is the same video signal as the DVI connector minus audio.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X