Hooking up a modern television.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooking up a modern television.

This post is related somewhat to others I have posted in the Depot section but I think more peeps stop by here so I will give it a try.

Our family doesn't watch a lot of TV so we still have old school CRT Tvs. We will getting a flat panel one and mounting above a fireplace. I have run cables to a spot behind the TV position and below and to the right of it (2 data 1 coax). I also plan on running some conduit from the lower right section to the TV mounting to put a couple of HDMI cables in.

Questions.

What else should I plan on running in that conduit from the right to the mounting position?

I'm told new TVs have a data connection so how do you interact with that connection? Is there some kind of OS on the TV?

Here is the current state of the wall.

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

You can plug a Cat5 cable into them. If you plan on eventually going with external speakers or a sound system, you may want to run the wires for them.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

The receiver is more important. Where is that going to be, and how will it be wired up to your other components?

If you have a good receiver with HDMI switching, you may have as few as 1 connection to your TV from everything except data--speakers handled by receiver, blu-ray, gaming devices, dvd, all handled by receiver.

I put a 4port data-jack behind my tv setup in my man cave hen I finished the basement. It holds a phone jack, a coax, and 2 ethernet jacks. From the receiver, my tv has 1 HDMI cable running in, 1 video cable running in handling other feeds, and 1 set of component cables running in. Not everything I run is on the HDMI setup, and I'm probably running more gear than you will be.

I've also got built-in speaker extenders in another wall jack leading to the rear channel speakers. The sound setup depends on what you want to do in the room for you all, and if you want to set it up for future connectivity/other uses/possible resale.

-Rand
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post
        The receiver is more important. Where is that going to be, and how will it be wired up to your other components?

If you have a good receiver with HDMI switching, you may have as few as 1 connection to your TV from everything except data--speakers handled by receiver, blu-ray, gaming devices, dvd, all handled by receiver.

I put a 4port data-jack behind my tv setup in my man cave hen I finished the basement. It holds a phone jack, a coax, and 2 ethernet jacks. From the receiver, my tv has 1 HDMI cable running in, 1 video cable running in handling other feeds, and 1 set of component cables running in. Not everything I run is on the HDMI setup, and I'm probably running more gear than you will be.

I've also got built-in speaker extenders in another wall jack leading to the rear channel speakers. The sound setup depends on what you want to do in the room for you all, and if you want to set it up for future connectivity/other uses/possible resale.

-Rand
        Run a large enough conduit for easily pulling wires through, then fish 1 or 2 cords through and tie them off at either end to something like a nail... This way, you will always be able to easily fish more wires, because you never know what you need in the future. When you have to fish a new wire, just tie it to one of the cords you already fished through, along with a new cord, then pull them through, tying off the new cord as a replacement for the one you already pulled through.

Also, if you are running Cat6 throughout your house to future-proof it, let me clue you in on a little secret. If you find that you have enough connections in one place (a utility room, etc) that you have the urge to get a patch panel, DON'T. For a few bucks you can get a standard junction box, and a cover with 6 openings for phone or ethernet jacks... Then you can just add more boxes, faceplates, and jacks as needed.

Comment

Run a conduit from the TV up to the ceiling. Why? You never know what setup you will want in 10 years.
          Nauticas

Comment

Some TVs have wifi and wired connections. You can do things like Facebook and Netflix on them. They can also update themselves.

When I wall mounted mine I ran as many cables as I could afford. The ones I I'm glad I did the most was D-SUB and mini audio cable so I could hook my Gaming PC and laptop up to it. Also running a second HDMI cable worked out well. Although I knew I'd never get an X-BOX, my wife got one last year and the cable was there ready to go. Those stupid cables weren't cheap six years ago either, especially in twelve and sixteen foot lengths, I know it cost me over $400.00 just in cables.
            Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Hmm, I guess I better start looking at what I will want to run everything through, some sort of receiver will be needed and the last time I looked they were pretty complicated. I hadn't thought about speakers so I may want to have some sort of setup for surround sound if the boss wants it.
              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!

Comment

You might also think about a surround sound system

Comment

Like Devilguns post, newer TV can display stocks ticker, weather info, run apps, netflix even some games and do streaming like pics or or movies from
                  your PC, or media server. Pretty much a extender like the Xbox360 or Bluray players. You can also update the software of the TV although I had issues connecting
                  to the Samsung servers so I just update by USB You wont belive this but my last update was a 30 MB file. wow, I was expecting something like 2 MB lol

Here is an example what my TV can do, Newer TVs can do alot more. But in all, its more of a convenience since other toys can do the same stuff. Right now I been trying to get my apps up but I mess up somewhere. In the AVS forums I found out a hidden menu with a crap load of options and one of them was I can change my model number to the higher end of the series and unlock other features, neat lol

Comment

Originally posted by Caddys83 View Post
                    Like Devilguns post, newer TV can display stocks ticker, weather info, run apps, netflix even some games and do streaming like pics or or movies from
                    your PC, or media server. Pretty much a extender like the Xbox360 or Bluray players. You can also update the software of the TV although I had issues connecting
                    to the Samsung servers so I just update by USB You wont belive this but my last update was a 30 MB file. wow, I was expecting something like 2 MB lol

Here is an example what my TV can do, Newer TVs can do alot more. But in all, its more of a convenience since other toys can do the same stuff. Right now I been trying to get my apps up but I mess up somewhere. In the AVS forums I found out a hidden menu with a crap load of options and one of them was I can change my model number to the higher end of the series and unlock other features, neat lol
                    FYI - To stream 1080p videos to the TV, the embedded hardware in the TV's these days is not powerful enough. I have a set top box running XBMC, streaming media from my fileserver. I have about 550 BluRay (1080p) movies, 800+ 720p TV shows, and all of my photos viewable from there. I can also go out to other streaming sites like YouTube and DailyMotion from there, check the weather, stock market, and my email. The possibilities are endless once you introduce a PC into the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by NateTheBrewer View Post
                      FYI - To stream 1080p videos to the TV, the embedded hardware in the TV's these days is not powerful enough. I have a set top box running XBMC, streaming media from my fileserver. I have about 550 BluRay (1080p) movies, 800+ 720p TV shows, and all of my photos viewable from there. I can also go out to other streaming sites like YouTube and DailyMotion from there, check the weather, stock market, and my email. The possibilities are endless once you introduce a PC into the mix.
                      lol trust me, No need for a FYI

Comment

I wish I could come over there and help you pick out the receiver and then hook it up for you, lol.
                        Nauticas

Comment

I've avoided the PC in the entertainment mix for a couple reasons, mainly noise and power consumption. FYI the conduit idea is a great idea BTW.

So before you go off and buy a HDMI switching receiver what TV do you have? also think about what your'e hooking up. Specifically what types of connection you have to make. For video the order of preference is HDMI, Componet, S-video, composite. For audio it's Optical SPDIF (sometimes called Tos Link) Coaxial SPDIF then analog RCA style.

For example I have a 52" Sony Bravia, a HK AVR 445, PS3, DVD, Cable box, and Squeezebox music streamer. All audio is digital and the receiver has tons of connections for optical or coaxial digital audio.

My receiver has only two HDMI connections and three componet. So I do a mix of direct connection...the cable box componet to the receiver and HDMI switching on the receiver for the DVD and PS3.

This sounds like a hassle but, It's not. I highly recommend getting a Logitech Harmony remote. It's programmable (via computer) remote. You setup activities on the remote. So when we want to watch the cable box I press one button and it turns on everything and sets everything to the right inputs. I then can use one remote to change channels on the cable box and the same remote to change volume on the receiver. I have two of the low end harmony's and they rock.

Another thing you might want to look into is a remote repeater. Basically a IR sensor/repeater with beads you stick on the IR receiver of the devices. this allows you to keep everything tucked away outta sight. As a plus some higher end receivers have have a mini port jack specifically for remote signals so no bead is needed.

Comment

Oh yeah if your looking for wall mounts do not spend an arm and a leg at a big box store. Go to HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! Wall Mount Brackets

I've used this one on my 52"

For only $32.63 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Adjustable Tilting/Swiveling Wall Mount Bracket for LCD LED Plasma (Max 132Lbs, 37~63inch) | LCD Plasma Brackets - Tilting/Swiveling Type

Which is rad because the wall plate has a level builtin and it's only 36 dollars

and I've used this one on the 32" in the bedroom

For only $17.85 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Adjustable Tilting Wall Mount Bracket for LCD LED Plasma (Max 165Lbs, 23~42inch) - BLACK | LCD Plasma Brackets - Tilting Type

less than 20 bucks. You'd pay well over a hundred bucks at a big box store
                            Last edited by mapes; 23 Nov 2011, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
                              I highly recommend getting a Logitech Harmony remote. It's programmable (via computer) remote. You setup activities on the remote. So when we want to watch the cable box I press one button and it turns on everything and sets everything to the right inputs. I then can use one remote to change channels on the cable box and the same remote to change volume on the receiver. I have two of the low end harmony's and they rock.
                              This.

Harmony remotes totally rock. If you can find one (I'm not sure they're available yet), see if you can get one with bluetooth in it. I've got the 550 (I think), and it's truly awesome. The only thing it can't do is control my PS 3 and Wii. I've got a USB IR dealy for the PS 3 but it's more hassle than anything else. Easier just to use the PS 3 remote or controller for that. It consolidates 4 other controllers for my other components though, and that's a big plus.

I've got the Logitech Harmony extender for PS 3 on my amazon wish list; now that I think about it, I need to increase its priority in case someone is looking for Xmas gift ideas in my family.

-Rand
                              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X