No announcement yet.

UpdateBIOS ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look for the manufactureres website, look for your board and see if they have a recommended course of action. (that's what i did M2N-MX)

Comment

I have updated my BIOS on my EVGA board with a hotfix download from the support site. I have never had any problems doing this.
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

i have flashed my current motherboards BIOS in windows at least 15 times in the last year. it's a gigabyte. i use @bios.

Comment

I have an ASUS mobo, and it has the ability to update the BIOS in Setup. You just put the new BIOS image on a USB key and it will find it.
          ASUS also has the ability to update in Windows and DOS.
          I would imagine that pretty much any newer mobo will boot to a USB key. Just load the DOS-based utility and BIOS image on a bootable USB Key and boot to it.
          [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again
            I have an ASUS mobo, and it has the ability to update the BIOS in Setup. You just put the new BIOS image on a USB key and it will find it.
            ASUS also has the ability to update in Windows and DOS.
            I would imagine that pretty much any newer mobo will boot to a USB key. Just load the DOS-based utility and BIOS image on a bootable USB Key and boot to it.
            That's how i've done mine over the past few years. Can't remember the last time i owned a floppy drive.

Comment

Cain, we need to know what mobo you have. there are a variety of options depending on the mobo maker. some are workable, some aren't.

lets start here.

Comment

Couldn't believe it myself at first: A BIOSupdate under Windows (tm) is possible.

Just make sure you bring a fresh set of pants and backup everything important.
                Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

I've flashed the BIOS on Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, and MSI boards. I've also done it with several "brand name" computers. All of them were from in Windows and I've never had any issues with any of them.

Comment

The only time I have ever had to flash my BIOS was with some crummy PC Chips board I got for my first 1ghz cpu. I put in a pci graphics card, then I upgraded to an AGP card a few months later, which the motherboard wouldn't recognize without a BIOS update. Thank god I had that PCI card laying around; I can't imagine the frustration I would have felt if I had bought the video card at the same time and been greeted by those damn beeps...

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
                      Cain, we need to know what mobo you have. there are a variety of options depending on the mobo maker. some are workable, some aren't.

lets start here.
                      i tried that, he wouldn't tell me

Comment

BIOS flashing is not too big of a deal IMO. i've done it hundreds of times. i've flashed corrupted BIOSs blind(no video output) and have done hot flashes a couple of times(pop the chip out of a running PC and replaced it with a corrupted chip and then flash). heck, when i was younger i fiddled around with editers and made some costum BIOSs. but then, i've been an electronics geak for all of my 48 years

Comment

Well Hells bells .... after reading this thread and then checking for 45nm Intel CPU support on my MSI board, I noticed I was one rev. behind what they recommended, so I updated from 1.4 to 1.5, which went fine. I did this from within Windows using the MSI Live BIOS Updater which successfully loaded the new BIOS and restarted the PC.

But when I came back 5 minutes later, it was stuck on the MSI splash screen, so I know the BIOS was successfully updated, but it wouldn't proceed past that step. I'll try clearing the CMOS via jumper when I get home, but sitting here at work for 8+ hours while that issue gnaws at my gut, making me think I hosed the board, is going to make for a verrry long and stressful day.
                          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I hope it isn't the bios. I told you even the smallest of things can go wrong when updating via windows. Even if the bios displays as updated.

It is probably just a case of needing to load your bios defaults.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                              Well Hells bells .... after reading this thread and then checking for 45nm Intel CPU support on my MSI board, I noticed I was one rev. behind what they recommended, so I updated from 1.4 to 1.5, which went fine. I did this from within Windows using the MSI Live BIOS Updater which successfully loaded the new BIOS and restarted the PC.

But when I came back 5 minutes later, it was stuck on the MSI splash screen, so I know the BIOS was successfully updated, but it wouldn't proceed past that step. I'll try clearing the CMOS via jumper when I get home, but sitting here at work for 8+ hours while that issue gnaws at my gut, making me think I hosed the board, is going to make for a verrry long and stressful day.
                              As long as you are able to see video you should be able to use Recovery to reflash the BIOS. It depends on the BIOS, but you should be able to use a key combination (CTRL+HOME for example) to enter Recovery mode. The BIOS will then search floppy, IDE, and USB devices for a ROM image. This will allow you to either reflash the latest BIOS or try to revert to the previous image.
                              [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Two possibilities here .... one is the CMOS reset as I mentioned, and the other is the USB keyboard support may have been reset, so my USB keyboard isn't allowing me to TAB past the splash screen or hit the Del key to get into the BIOS.

I need to swap the RAM out of that PC anyways now that my Buffalo sticks are back from RMA (sorry Carbon .. I didn't know they were a P.I.T.A) and see if I can't get it back up and running. Looks like my board tops out at the Q9450 CPU, which is what I was going with anyways.

12 freakin 'megs of cache !!! Do you realize you could theoretically install Windows 3.0 on the cache now stored on the CPU itself ??? Hahaa, good times, good times indeed to be buying a CPU ... of course we have to wait about 3-4 more weeks until they are all released ... grrrr
                                Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X