I want a new video card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a new video card

I have a relatively new EVGA 570, but I want something newer and faster..

I'll be building a new PC by the end of the year, so I want to go ahead now and get the super duper video card...

I want:

1) Quiet
    2) Super fast and powerful
    3) Super stable in BF3

Suggestions??

Jeez Cain. PC hardware is like your catnip at the moment! Didn't you just buy this GTX570?

The GTX570 is new, and is fast. The only real way to get anything more is to SLI it. There's always the GTX580 or AMD's top card but for some reason i don't think purchasing one of them will be enough for you.

1. Hard to tell. Some stock coolers are great, some are down right annoying. But who cares when you're wearing headphones and all you can hear is explosions.

The only true quiet option is water cooling.

2. I really want to know why a GTX570 isn't super fast and powerful lol. If it's that bad, can i have it?

3. Now that's something that is impossible to give advice on. I have read reports that the GTX560ti and GTX570 seems to be having more issues with this game than any other card. However, every card crashes on this game, and if it hasn't yet, it will do soon. This is only going to get fixed by Dice and Nv/AMD drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
      Jeez Cain. PC hardware is like your catnip at the moment! Didn't you just buy this GTX570?

The GTX570 is new, and is fast. The only real way to get anything more is to SLI it. There's always the GTX580 or AMD's top card but for some reason i don't think purchasing one of them will be enough for you.

1. Hard to tell. Some stock coolers are great, some are down right annoying. But who cares when you're wearing headphones and all you can hear is explosions.

The only true quiet option is water cooling.

2. I really want to know why a GTX570 isn't super fast and powerful lol. If it's that bad, can i have it?

3. Now that's something that is impossible to give advice on. I have read reports that the GTX560ti and GTX570 seems to be having more issues with this game than any other card. However, every card crashes on this game, and if it hasn't yet, it will do soon. This is only going to get fixed by Dice and Nv/AMD drivers.
      I'm wondering why the new vid card ? I'm using a single gtx460 and can run everything on high without issue. I would think at 570 should handle ultra without issue.
      Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

I mentioned a long time ago that the 570 had some issues.

Thats why I went with ATI this round. I got the HIS IceQ 6970 and it dang sure runs cool.If you're like me I keep the ambient temp. in the room very cool. I checked last night and the max high after i finished was 59c for the card. I run everything on high. I couldnt really tell any difference between high and ultra. Avg. 55fps.

But to answer your question, you may want to wait for the 600 series Nvidia cards. That high end will probably run you over $500 easy.
        [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Yep my problem is constant crashing in Bf3. Apparently if I under clock my card then I crash less. I don't want to crash any!

Comment

hmm i am running a 570 and have no crashes.

I will take your card though cain.

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
              I don't want to crash any!
              I think the only thing i can say to this is tough! Everybody crashes and everybody will crash. Wait for more drivers.

Comment

I'd go with Juneau's last bit and wait for driver updates...can't be long with as many complaints as there are atm.

Comment

I read they will have new drivers "by the end of November"....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............. Patience is not one of my virtues..

Comment

Sort of a bad time to be buying a video card what with an AMD refresh (7000 series, including the 7950 and 7970) coming out soon after the holidays featuring the following specs:

1. Radeon HD 7950:

* Radeon cores: 1920
                    * Core/GPU frequency: 900MHz
                    * Effective Memory frequency: 7200MHz
                    * Type of Memory: XDR2
                    * Texture Units (TU): 120
                    * Raster Operation Units (ROP): 64
                    * Bus width: 256-bit
                    * Memory bandwidth: 230GB/s
                    * TDP: 150W

2. Radeon HD 7970:

* Radeon cores: 2048
                    * Core/GPU frequency: 1GHz
                    * Effective Memory frequency: 8000MHz
                    * Type of Memory: XDR2
                    * Texture Units (TU): 128
                    * Raster Operation Units (ROP): 64
                    * Bus width: 256-bit
                    * Memory bandwidth: 256GB/s
                    * TDP: 190W

That's a big jump up from the current cards, running on a smaller core to cut down on the heat buildup as well. I wish I had gone AMD on my build, but I fell back on Nvidia once again.

Cain, if wanna pay for shipping, you can borrow my GTX580 until the new AMD cards come out. I still haven't retired my old rig yet, and its GTX280 is playing my old games just fine.
                    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

That would be great WT!! That will definitely hold me over... PM me please...

Comment

same...for ATI i ran alpha on high with a 5770 and ran it 110% fine.. no crash nothing.. ran beta with a 5770 and a 6970.. ran fine.. running retail with 6970 110% fine.. just server disconnects but thats not gpu related..

ive gone nvidia in the past...but ati wins my pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
                          Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............. Patience is not one of my virtues..
                          You're kidding right? You've put up with us lot for years.

Comment

I want to get a new graphics card. I'm running BF3 with a Ati Radeon 5670. Runs textures on High and everything else on Medium. Runs smooth at 40 FPS and I run fraps every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                              You're kidding right? You've put up with us lot for years.
                              That's not patience it's masochism.
                              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X