Buying a new Computer (finally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
    Whats wrong with the I7 chips. I got a 930 up to 4.0 easily and it rock da house.
    Ohh, its not the the i7 chips we are worried about, its the 1366 mainboards that they run in, and their apparent closeness to obsolescence.
    The 1156 faced the same fate last year when the P67 came out, and now its time for the 1366 to be put out to pasture courtesy of the Z68, and in turn the Z68 will be done with by the end of next year by the X79 rollout.

Nobody likes to be buying an end of lifespan product for an upgrade, but that's where the bargains are as guys sell off their older rigs and retailers try and clear the shelves of the 1366 boards.

The i7 930 at 4ghz won't equal an i5 at 5ghz, but it does hold its own unless you are maxing out BF3 on Ultra.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Well folks, it looks like I ought to be enjoying BF3 with yall in about 2 weeks. I already bought several of the components that I had on that wish list, and the rest I will be getting for christmas. For the record, I went with a GTX 560 Ti for my graphics card. Also, does anyone know where I could buy a cheap version of Windows or otherwise how I could just transfer over my version of windows that I have on my current computer?

Comment

You should be able to load the old version of windows with no problem. You might have to call them to get it straight, but it should work if you have the key.

ps: i hope it's Win7. sp1
        [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
          the 2500's max turbo frequency is 3.7GHz.
          You are going by Intel's turbo boost frequency, where the 3.7 is the chips max. I am going by a vendors OC utility with my numbers. Should have pointed that out when I posted. My Gigabyte Z68 offers a util called TouchBIOS that allow you to bump up the speed automagically.

I still haven't even retired my old rig yet ... was hoping to finish Borderlands and then move to the new rig, but its taking longer than I expected.
          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
            You are going by Intel's turbo boost frequency, where the 3.7 is the chips max. I am going by a vendors OC utility with my numbers. Should have pointed that out when I posted. My Gigabyte Z68 offers a util called TouchBIOS that allow you to bump up the speed automagically.

I still haven't even retired my old rig yet ... was hoping to finish Borderlands and then move to the new rig, but its taking longer than I expected.
            So your system will let you OC a non-K part? Pretty cool.
            [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
            Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X