32 bit OS with 4GB+ RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32 bit OS with 4GB+ RAM

I currently have Windows Vista, 32 bit with a Intel E8500 dual core processor.

I have 6 GB of RAM in my machine. I'm pulling out 2 GB of RAM to help with over clocking because I want just 2 slots used because apparently that helps.

With a 32 bit OS, will I even have a decrease in performance on my machine since Windows only see 4 GB anyway?
    Nauticas

No, 32-bit operating systems can only index up to ~4 GB of RAM (if they're not using PAE). So removing the unused memory will not impact the amount of memory the operating system will see.

The only concern I would have would have to do with how the RAM is located in the motherboard. Depending on your MB and Ram you may need to insert the RAM into certain slots in the MB. How many slots do you have?

Comment

I have 4. I'm pretty sure DIM0 and DIM2 are the preferred slots and are paired slots. I have a Dell XPS 630i with the NVIDIA 650i, C55, MCP51 motherboard.

Do you know if I can go to a 64 bit OS with my E8500, 3.16GHz, dual core?
      Nauticas

Comment

Originally posted by Nauticas View Post
        I have 4. I'm pretty sure DIM0 and DIM2 are the preferred slots and are paired slots. I have a Dell XPS 630i with the NVIDIA 650i, C55, MCP51 motherboard.

Should be fine

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
        Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Yep, the E8500 is a 64-bit processor.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Do you think going to a 64 bit OS will improve performance in Battlefield 3?
            Nauticas

Comment

Do you think going to a 64 bit OS will improve performance in Battlefield 3?
              Probably not, but would let you access more memory if you wanted to add that other 2gb of ram back. So far the BF3 Beta has only been 32bits anyway.
              I would be kinda socked if they came out with a 64bit BF3 to be honest.

Also whats your video card? that will be a big factor also.

Comment

I have a 560 Ti. I'm getting 30 to 60 fps in Metro on high settings in 1080i resolution. I've been overclocking my CPU the last couple days and that seems to be increasing game performance. I'm just looking at all the angles to tweak my machine.
                Nauticas

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X