Done with Newegg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done with Newegg

Gentlemen and ladies, as most of you know I had been in the market for a new video card recently. Fount a deal on Amazon for the card I wanted. They delivered the card promptly and I installed it in my machine. Woohoo, happy as a clam. All is good.

Then got in game one day and played a bit and noticed I was not seeing the smoothness I had the day before.Well looked at my fps and they had dropped down to 40 range. Previous range had been 55-85 with everything on high, AA maxed out and AF maxed out. Vsync on Hboa enabled. The whole 9 yards.

So I jumped out to see what my temps were and they had topped over 100c. Dang. I had forgot to up my fan speed before I entered the game. I can now see everyone screaming, " why didnt you leave it on auto." Well because auto still let it climb to about 85c and I didnt want that. It never would get over 50% enabled on the fan. So I manually ran the fan up to about 75% and it kept it around 65c. So I was happy. Well at least til the booboo.

So I think something might have been damaged a bit during the heat up process. Cause it never came back to being right. Even after I lowered the settings in game to see if that would help. It never did.

So, with that information. I went to Amazon and looked to see what i had to do to return it. Everything you do on a return is done through the website.No questions asked if within 30 days. I'm not kidding no phone number, no rma, nothing.

What they give you is a page that comes up with a barcode on it to ship with the return. Just print it out and you're done.

Now you might say, well heck Newegg almost does it like that. Um. no. This is the kicker. They get UPS to pick the package up at the door with a return shipping label produced when you were on the website and sent to UPS to have when they pick up the package. No charge at all to you for shipping .
    AND THEY PICK IT UP AT YOUR FRONT DOOR.

On top of that they had already ordered me another card with next day shipping as soon as they come in. Thats right campers they had me another one on the way soon as I requested the return.

The story behind this is they dont have the card in stock because of the high demand. So with that they give you the option to keep the order or cancel and get a full refund. No questions asked. I kept the order cause it wont be that long and I can struggle along with my old card at 29 fps til it gets here.

I've ordered a lot of stuff from Newegg, but I wont order anymore from them with this kind of service. I had no idea their business model was this well run.

Kudos to Amazon, they'll get my business from now on.
    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

If this happened to everyone, Amazon would have that reputation. But since it only happened to you from all the people I know- I don't think it will happen to me. You are somehow special to amazon.

Comment

Try EVGA Precision fan control next time.

Erm wait its AMD

Comment

I don'y really understand what your situation has to do with Newegg, but their RMA policy is much like everyone else. So what if UPS does not come to your door, you can arrange that even through Newegg.

That is rare that they ship a replacement without receiving the old one first. That is what most if not all businesses do because they have there ass to cover in case the buyer does not ship the old one back.

I don't understand how you are all gung-ho about it unless you had terrible experiences with Newegg, which judging by your post you did not, you just like how Amazon handled it and anyone would, but it is not realistic.

Hope you get your replacement card in time for the BF3 release!

Oh and btw, just to clarify, if you did not already know, If you have Vsync on, you are capped at 60fps max. So if you did drop to say a steady 40 fps like you say, you were only @ a max of 60fps before. Do you always monitor your FPS? Or are you guessing on this one?

Don't take offense to the post I hope

Comment

Ouch, 100° on a video card is not a good thing. The thermal throttling musta kicked in and tried to cool things down but by then it was too late.
          After my recent RMA to Newegg (Toxic 6950) I decided it was time to stop giving them my business for everything as well. I had already spent $750 on this build and they couldn't help me at all.
          I called a CSR to ask why I got a refund instead of a replacement - out of stock.
          I then asked if I could still get the card with its rebate due to extenuating circumstances - its not up to us, its up to Sapphire they said.
          I then asked when they expected to receive the next shipment - not anytime this week.

So I paid $12 to ship the card back, and I lost out on the two free games that came with that card. I ended up buying from some other vendor that beat Newegg's price by $80 (Newegg in turn dropped the card's price since then by $60) so I am also going to look elsewhere before giving Newegg all of my business.
          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
            Ouch, 100° on a video card is not a good thing. The thermal throttling musta kicked in and tried to cool things down but by then it was too late.
            After my recent RMA to Newegg (Toxic 6950) I decided it was time to stop giving them my business for everything as well. I had already spent $750 on this build and they couldn't help me at all.
            I called a CSR to ask why I got a refund instead of a replacement - out of stock.
            I then asked if I could still get the card with its rebate due to extenuating circumstances - its not up to us, its up to Sapphire they said.
            I then asked when they expected to receive the next shipment - not anytime this week.

So I paid $12 to ship the card back, and I lost out on the two free games that came with that card. I ended up buying from some other vendor that beat Newegg's price by $80 (Newegg in turn dropped the card's price since then by $60) so I am also going to look elsewhere before giving Newegg all of my business.
            Yeah that Sapphire Toxic card is incredibly hard to find. it is constantly out of stock everywhere.

But everything you described sounds about right, beside the part about you paying return shipping which you should not have. Newegg always covered it for me in the past.

But rebates are usually 99% of the time delt through the manufacture.

It may seem like I am defending Newegg, but I think people do not understand sometimes how things operate and why it is that way. There are reasons, and if you do not like it, go some other place, or buy locally. I will always buy local if the price is similar, just to have that peace of mind I can get a quick replacement if need be.

Comment

So what did newegg do again? I read that novel 4 times and cant figure out what happen. How is it newegg fault if its from amazon?

Anyway is this that HIS brand you worship earlier lol

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
                Ouch, 100° on a video card is not a good thing.
                I read a post some time ago about some "GPU burner" that basically puts the GPU at 100% load. Well, I turned it on and went for a "number 2." I come back (10 minutes later), with HWmonitor on and it reached 104C! I check the fan and it's is at 85%! HOW HOT does the card have to be for it to reach 100% EVGA?!

Also, @BF3 vSynch does NOT work. I have it on and it goes from 60 to 100 and back if it wants to. It never stays steady.

Comment

Sigh, I'm not mad at Newegg. Never have been. It's just that you have to jump through more hoops to get it done. I was done with the Amazon thing in less than 5 minutes. I didnt have to lift a finger, go to the post office or pay anything. Just handed the package to the guy when he came to the door. It cant get any simpler than that. Well at least to me.

And you're right Slice I had run the card without enabling Vsync in the beginning because I had forgot about it. I never have been able to run it before. I remembered Phantoms post talking about his cards and enabling Vsync ftw. After I remembered I went back and enabled it. But the fps werent just my imagination. I keep fraps running at all times and was getting between 55-80 depending on the demand.

Caddys, the HIS card has superior cooling pipes onboard. But if you dont get the fan speed up a bit, no card will cool the way you want, I dont care how many pipes it has.

Phan, maybe you're right. I've bought a lot of stuff through Amazon. Never have had to return anything from them before. Maybe they have me flagged as a preferred customer. Hell, I dont know. All I know is that it couldnt have worked out any better than it did.

The thing with them replacing the card before they received the return is that they put a disclaimer on it if they dont receive it within the 30 days. You still have to pay for it. But I have a tracking number and evidence of it being shipped and out of my hands.

So there, all you haters gonna hate. I dont care. It was a damn good card til I messed it up. Thats why I'm getting another one. It wont happen a second time.

Hope to see you in game.
                  [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I am a hater ! LOL . Just because I am jealous and want a Toxic 6950 lol. Hopefully soon I will get a 6950/6970.

Comment

Originally posted by slice View Post
                      I am a hater ! LOL . Just because I am jealous and want a Toxic 6950 lol. Hopefully soon I will get a 6950/6970.
                      Ah,just messin with ya man. One item you might consider is that if you're gonna flash that card up to 6970 some have had success some have failed. Do a little reading, or maybe you already have. But I was thinking that the newer cards werent able to be flashed up. I wish I could have got a 6970 for the 6950 price. If you're successful then you're money ahead. I just didnt want to take the chance.

Comment

Evga ftw

Comment

Phantom its not an EVGA card lol. He bought ATI/AMD, EVGA dont do ATI/AMD.

Not sure about the rest of you guys but when my card hits 90C it goes to 100% no matter what I have the fan settings set for. (EVGA GTX 285)

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
                            Ah,just messin with ya man. One item you might consider is that if you're gonna flash that card up to 6970 some have had success some have failed. Do a little reading, or maybe you already have. But I was thinking that the newer cards werent able to be flashed up. I wish I could have got a 6970 for the 6950 price. If you're successful then you're money ahead. I just didnt want to take the chance.
                            Yeah, it seems most of the 6950s now are not unlockable. But some people do have success with the Toxic cards and the MSI Twin Frozr cards.

Comment

Originally posted by slice View Post
                              Yeah, it seems most of the 6950s now are not unlockable. But some people do have success with the Toxic cards and the MSI Twin Frozr cards.
                              i have the sapphire! and i have it unlocked.. but i tend to get alot of Hard Freezing

cant figure what it is

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X