Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programs disappearing problem

Yello!

So here's my issue, I recently built a pc (about 1 month ago) and as of now 2 programs that I installed and used more than once disappeared.

It started with MSI AfterBurner which I had to reinstall, the desktop icon went missing, and when I looked at the program files folder the folder was there but in it was just another empty folder.

Then Origin disappeared, and I haven't reinstalled it yet, because I figured it might still be in my pc, same as afterburner could still be in the tubes somewhere!

Has anyone ever had this problem? I could use some help, since google searches are full of people who blurt "run a virus scan" (I'm not that retarded) I thought that by chance one of you might've had this problem in the past!

Also I doubt running countless system restores everytime I want to keep stuff on my pc is a viable solution!

*goes back to google*

That is just simply impossible. The best explanation I can give is that you did a system restore and it took it out. Left the folder. Another is that your anti-virus quarantined them. Programs simply do not disappear (to the extent of my knowledge).

Comment

Well I've never seen this happen before either but from what I've seen this problem is not that uncommon since google is filled with links to help threads! (that don't actually help)

I'll see what happens from now on, since I didn't do any system restore and my anti virus is not the matter here!

Comment

lol I had something like that happen to me a few times back in my Window's Vista days. I right click on the recycle bin and click on "delete" instead of "Empty Recycle Bin" Took me some reading on google to bring it back

Moral of story...... #Enduserfault or #Enduserisdrunk

Comment

Windows doesn't do that, but users can. Once, I accidentally moved a directory due to a twitchy mouse finger (drag & drop). Had to search for it later.

I recommend checking any software or automated processes you configured shortly before this problem began. For example, a new synchronizing backup routine might be configured to synch the wrong way (removing files that don't match the backup).

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys I'll keep checking if it does it again.

Also, it seems it's not going to happen anytime soon, since my EVGA gtx 570 stock might've just died on me.
            It overheated at a mere 60-70 temperature even though I set the fan at crazy rpms to prevent overheating, I tested if it still had problems on the CLR server all alone 1-2 hours ago and it started acting up, even though my temps showed good results (60-70 is really not that high and nothing dangerous)

I immediately closed the game, went on google to look for solutions for that.. then it started acting up again, green, purple lines everywhere, had to force shut down my pc and here I am now lol.

Everytime I start it there are horizontal green lines all over my screen, I tested on 2 different monitors, tested with a DVI to HD plug and a MINI hd to HD plug and the results are the same, I can get past the first few startup screens like the windows loading and the motherboard logo but the screen is always full of those green lines. When it finally gets to the windows login all i see is a black screen.

Any insight on that? I'm still in my 15 day return at the shop I bought it.. but I doubt they'll take the card back and it hurts to buy a new card that's over 300$ especially considering the same problem might happen again! And with all the trouble EVGA will give me for shipping to them and back to me in canada it's almost not worth using the EVGA warranty.. bllleerrg

Comment

You're not the first one to have trouble with the EVGA 570. Thats the reason I held back on buying an EVGA card. Dont know what the problems is but it seems they have some QC issues.
              [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

How big is the power supply???

Comment

Meh now worries with the power supply, it's a 750 and I've seen it run on a 600 and a 700, I built the goshdarned pc at a shop with faulty equipment in mind though so I'll just be returning it and saying "IT NO WORK!! IT NO WORK!! LE YOU MAKE ZE PC VOORKK!" and leave with my head held high.

Then they'll swap my 570 for another faulty 570 and I'll eventually buy a 6th gen and it'll be faulty too. And then I'll become an ATI fan boy.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                  Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X