Networking question.... Switches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking question.... Switches?

I want to use Gigabit switches both here and at my servers....

Are there latency problems with daisy chaining switches??

Will two 5 port switches be much different than 1 10 port switch??

Here I have a NAS with gigabit NICs... However currently my switch is 10/100.

I am connected to the internet via a Linksys with a 4 port built in 10/100 switch...

I'm thinking of a 5 port or 8 port gigabit switch to connect our PCs to the NAS at gigabit speeds, then just connect one of the switches to the Linksys (router), where our Internet is obviously not going to be at Gigabit speed...

Thoughts?? comments??

My PC ----> Gigabit stitch ----> The NAS

Gigabit Switch -----> The Linksys for Internet

Originally posted by Cain View Post
    I want to use Gigabit switches both here and at my servers....

Are there latency problems with daisy chaining switches??

Will two 5 port switches be much different than 1 10 port switch??

Here I have a NAS with gigabit NICs... However currently my switch is 10/100.

I am connected to the internet via a Linksys with a 4 port built in 10/100 switch...

I'm thinking of a 5 port or 8 port gigabit switch to connect our PCs to the NAS at gigabit speeds, then just connect one of the switches to the Linksys, where ouir Internet is obviously not going to be at Gigabit speed...

Thoughts?? comments??

My PC ----> Gigabit stitch ----> The NAS
    ports vs

Gigabit Switch -----> The Linksys for Internet
    I can only recommend based off the datacenter i work at....

You can daisy chain without issue most of the time, but for redundancy its not good. The whole network will only be as fast as the weakest link.
    Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Here are my problems, any advice or info most appreciated.

Here:

I have a Cable modem internet connection and use a Linksys Router, with 4 10MB ports.

Currently I have a NAS with Gigabit ports.

The Router is in my office. the NAS is in My partner's office. I connect my PC to the Linksys, , her computer and the NAS are connected to a 10/100 old linksys switch. My speed to the NAS and her's also is limited by the old 10/100 switch.

I would like to figure out a way to allow me and her to connect to the NAS at full gigabit speeds and also use large frames. Many of our files are HUGE and it takes a while to copy them back and forth from the NAS.

===

At Logicsouth, we have almost unlimited bandwidth and 6 of our 8 NICs are full gigabit, but again I have an old 8 port Linksys 10/100 switch. I would like for the boxes at a minimum to talk to each other at full gigabit speeds.

When all boxes are in place I would have at least 10 Nics but most switches are 8 ports then jump up to 24 ports. What about a 8 and a 5 port switch somehow???

----------------

In both cases I want maximum speed, and in my office I also want the lowest latency possible, for my machine (gaming). I purchased a new Netgear router with a 4 port gigabit switch built in, but it is a huge disappointment and is unreliable as heck.

Thoughts??

Comment

Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Comment

I think if you replace your router and switches with Gb versions you should be ok.
          [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X