No announcement yet.

Its soon time to join the upgrade brigade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is reall dissapointing is that EVGA doesnt really have any good LGA 1155 motherboards yet. Either that or I just cant find any
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
      I still got the first generation H50 and I cant even hear it. CPU runs less than 65c under load test so in gaming it doesnt even make that. Phan, I dont know why you had trouble. Course I have a full tower with lots of room for airflow. If you have a mini tower or mid, it might be airflow but unless I seen it it would be hard to tell. Seems like the H70 would be good.

ps: do you still run that old 480 that had heat problems to begin with.
      I was going to post about the H50 but Cobalt beat me to it. I can not hear mine run and it keeps my CPU cooler than any air cooler I have ever had.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Hmmm.... They might have sent me a broken one. Because it's just not possible that it was on my part. I tried every combination. It was quite disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
          Hmmm.... They might have sent me a broken one. Because it's just not possible that it was on my part. I tried every combination. It was quite disappointing.
          Well if you wanted to fiddle with it you could have tried it on another machine. I know it's a pain but you could have least got a better idea of what it was.

ps: I thought you were gonna sell me that old 480 for $50 bucks and get a new card.
          [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
            What is reall dissapointing is that EVGA doesnt really have any good LGA 1155 motherboards yet. Either that or I just cant find any
            To my knowledge, EVGA doesn't sell motherboards with Intel chipsets...
            [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Looking further into the onboard SSD, its sustained sequential write speeds are much higher than a typical SSD, so that is why the 20gb SSD costs significantly more than others.

Specs on the 20gb Intel 311 SSD:
              # Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 200 MB/s
              # Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 105 MB/s
              # 4KB Random Read: Up to 37,000 IOPS
              # 4KB Random Write: Up to 3,300 IOPS

Specs on the 40gb Intel 310 SSD:
              # Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 170MB/s
              # Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 35MB/s
              # 4KB Random Read: Up to 25,000 IOPS
              # 4KB Random Write: Up to 2,500 IOPS

I still wish it had UEFI, but at that performance level, I guess I can overlook it
              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Still thinking over the GPU upgrade, and whether I really want to drop the extra dime on a card .... I have seen a number of guys selling off their GTX 295 cards, and the prices are around $150 for what is essentially an SLI version of my GTX 280.

I would give up support for DX11 and it would use a lot more power than a newer Nv or AMD card. But is that enough of a loss to justify the newer card ??
                Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

After mulling it over, the idea of replacing the video card seems valid, given its usually the best upgrade for a PC, so no sense keeping my older card in there.

I seem to have settled on the MSI 560GTX Ti Twin Frozr II OC edition card which brings the grand total to $802. As always, if anyone sees a better card for a better price, please link it up for discussion. I have noted many Nv 560 owners that are having overheating issues, so cooling on the card is my #1 priority at this point.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127565

I can beat those Newegg prices elsewhere quite easily, so I'm not sure I want to buy it all from the 'Egg, but so far I like the components. I even toyed around replacing my trusty Antec P180b with an NZXT Phantom with a matching NZXT Hale90 650w PSU, but that added another $300 to the build.
                  I still like the Antec and the Phantom would just sit hidden in my hutch anyhow.

Comment

WT I have the NZXT Phantom and love it. It is well designed and quiet.
                    Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Apache, I knew someone on the forums here had one. I'm still depressed, so each day I look at another component that I really don't need. This is today's possible addition:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133192

I do like the Phantom, but spending way too much for its matching NZXT 650w PSU is what makes me hesitate on it. And yes, I need it to match. I'm waaay anal about matching hardware

That white Level 10GT case makes me salivate. Sad thing is, if it DOES fit in my hutch, it will be hidden away and out of sight, so consider the extravagant case a temporary loss of sanity at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post

*snip

I can beat those Newegg prices elsewhere quite easily, so I'm not sure I want to buy it all from the 'Egg, but so far I like the components. I even toyed around replacing my trusty Antec P180b with an NZXT Phantom with a matching NZXT Hale90 650w PSU, but that added another $300 to the build.
                        I still like the Antec and the Phantom would just sit hidden in my hutch anyhow.

How much for the Antec P180b?

Comment

How much as in to sell it ?? Not selling it yet. I love that thing !! So far the high end cases I have seen don't quite fit the bill, as even the Level 10 GT does not have hot swap SATA done right - it only supplies one SATA cable to each drive and does not include a power lead ! I'd like a clean setup with both data and power on the same backplane such as my WHS MSS offers.

If I decide against buying a case, no biggie. It would be nice to refresh that in my build as well (Geez I love white on black, its the new black !)

Comment

I have a Modular Kingwin in mine. I guess I ain't anal enough.
                            Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
                              How much as in to sell it ?? Not selling it yet. I love that thing !! So far the high end cases I have seen don't quite fit the bill, as even the Level 10 GT does not have hot swap SATA done right - it only supplies one SATA cable to each drive and does not include a power lead ! I'd like a clean setup with both data and power on the same backplane such as my WHS MSS offers.

If I decide against buying a case, no biggie. It would be nice to refresh that in my build as well (Geez I love white on black, its the new black !)
                              Yeah, I was asking if you would sell it, I take its a no :/

Comment

If you have a good case you like and want to limit your budget I say just keep the one you got...
                                [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X