AMD A8-Series APU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD A8-Series APU

just got an email from Neweggs a few minutes ago.
    i just preordered mine, not so long ago!

AMD A8-Series AD3850WNGXBOX Quad-Core A8-3850 APU - 4MB L2 Cache, 2.9GHz, Socket FM1, Radeon HD 6550D (400 Cores), Dual Graphics Ready, DirectX 11, Retail at TigerDirect.com

what do you guys think?

I'm confused. It's a CPU, GPU, and Ram all integrated. For 149.00. Or just the board.
    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
      I'm confused. It's a CPU, GPU, and Ram all integrated. For 149.00. Or just the board.

no its like a regular MB but just the GPU is integrated with a Radeon 6950+ with full DX11. it can run Crysis2 at max settings without lagging and out beat the I5k,I7k at OC'ing.
      its stock CPU hz is set at 2.9ghz each core. but can be easily OC'D to 3.9ghz each core without a problem.

Comment

It's about time these appeared for sale. I'm actually tempted for this to be my next upgrade path.

Intel based PC's are getting way too expensive for my liking these days.

I've been hearing that these chips have no issues hitting 4.7Ghz Brian!

Comment

ERM........ its got a 6550D not a 6950.

Tomshardware looked at the A803850

Sad thing i noticed is its tied into the mobo memory so if you have slow memory it can be up to 50% slower then its best output.

And its also not going to OC to well.......

Llano goes heavy on integration. AMD purposely locked clock multipliers up and down the family. And yet the company suggests you can get 30%-better 3DMark Vantage scores by cranking the reference clock up to 133 MHz and dropping the multiplier (you can go down, but not up). Because the platform’s clock generator is integrated (like Intel’s P67/H67/Z6, though, messing with the reference frequency also overclocks the northbridge, graphics core, and PCI Express bus.
          There test setup also had issues with there SSD since after going past 110 mhz bus frequency the thing stop working.....

And this last little comment pretty much summed it up.....

At the end of the day, overclocking Llano is like slapping an intake on a Ford Fiesta.

Comment

Yea, when I saw the locked multiplier I didnt want any part of it.
            [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

At the end of the day, overclocking Llano is like slapping an intake on a Ford Fiesta.

Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

its a cheap budget rig, it is still powerful for the price..

MB: MSI A75MA-G55 AMD A Series Socket FM1 Motherboard
                APU/CPU: AMD Quad-Core A8-3850 2.9GHz Radeon HD 6550D APU
                RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 3x4GB DDR3 RAM
                CD DRIVE: Samsung 24x Internal CD/DVD Drive
                HDD:Seagate 1TB SATA 3G Barracuda? Green Hard Drive
                HDD 2: Kingston SSD 128gig (<--- have this lying around)
                CASE: Cooler Master RC-310-SWN1-GP Elite (<--- have this lying around)
                2nd GPU: will get one if needed
                PS: I have a 450 watt and a 650 watt lying around. we'll see. ( i know if im gonna add a 2nd vid card im gonna need more wattage :]

paid $300 excluding tax

whatcha guys think?
                Last edited by Brian is Huh?!{CLR}; 6 Jul 2011, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I'm not familiar with any of those parts but if it plays BF3 nicely they you did great.
                  [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                  Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
                    I'm not familiar with any of those parts but if it plays BF3 nicely they you did great.
                    these parts are made for the A8 APU series.
                    but they also mostly work for regular pc builds, these parts are just compatible with the A8 series.

MB: MSI A75MA-G55 AMD A Series Motherboard - Micro ATX, Socket FM1, AMD A75 Chipset, 1866MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, AMD Dual Graphics Ready at TigerDirect.com

APU/CPU Unit: AMD A8-Series AD3850WNGXBOX Quad-Core A8-3850 APU - 4MB L2 Cache, 2.9GHz, Socket FM1, Radeon HD 6550D (400 Cores), Dual Graphics Ready, DirectX 11, Retail at TigerDirect.com

RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz, 4096MB at TigerDirect.com

CASE: Cooler Master RC-310-SWN1-GP Elite 310 Mid-Tower Case - ATX, MicroATX, 120mm Fan, 4x 5.25 Bays, 7x 3.5 Bays, USB, Black/Silver at TigerDirect.com

hope that helps you around duke.

one of my mates just got his but he bought his from cyberpower cause hes a nub and just plays the computer and isnt much of a geek as we are. he's running witcher 2 in about 80fps, bfbc2 max settings running on dx11 at 70fps. but thats built by cyberpower.
                    everything at default settings no tweaks or anything. no hiccups or any sorts either. his is at 6gig rams instead of 8gig.

hes paid $800 for his w/ tax from CyberPower.. but hey thats cyberpower.. build it yourself and you have tons!

Comment

Great GPU performance for an integrated chip.

Middle of the road performance for the CPU.

Tis a real shame AMD can't get more 'oompf' out of the Llano chip itself. It has a very marketable position for the laptop crowd, but as a desktop component where does it fit in ??

Us gamers will use a discrete card anyhow, negating the plus to buying it ! So if you are thinking of going portable, this is for you. If not, its not going to cut the mustard for a gamer.
                      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I actually got this confused with the chip i'm actually interested in. Not the Llano but Bulldozer.

Comment

i'd say give it a couple months or even years.. im sure the llano or the bulldozer will have unlock multipliers.

but again.. this is a cheap budget pc building alternative

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X