RAM question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAM question

if you have RAM of the same typePC1600, but the speeds are off just a bit, will they even out in the mobo. Errr, will the faster ram just run at the slower RAM sped or do you need exact same specs?

i have 4GB now, newegg has great sale on 4GB deals, so thats why i ask.

YOu mean you have some DDR3 1600 and you want to get some more? You should always try to get matching memory. I am not sure if the memory init code on your motherboard will even be able to initialize non-matching memory, but even if it does you will probably take a performance hit. For one, it probably won't use Dual Channel mode. If you can't find memory that matches what you have, I would recommend replacing your memory with the newer stuff. Since you have 4GB now, if you can't find matching memory I would look into replacing it with 2x4GB or 4x2GB.
    Last edited by Dead...Again; 25 Jun 2011, 10:29 AM. Reason: saw you have 4GB.
    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

ok good to know. i figured its best to have same stuff if you are adding, but just wasnt sure.

Comment

The main question you have to ask yourself is 'do i need more than 4gb even though it's on offer?'. 99% of the time 4gb+ is wasted outside of video/photo editing.

By the time games start to struggle on 4gb we'll probably have moved forward by 2 or more hardware generations.

Comment

the main question i should ask myself is whether i want to buy more ram or not, and if that answer is yes, then ill post questions such as the one i asked.

Since i do want to buy more RAM, and i feel i not only want it and need it, ill buy it. just had a question to ask first. sorry you do not think its needed. guess we wont see you in the ram store any time soon. yay .

Comment

Here is a screenshot of a HT test I was doing while playing BC2, In here you can see that the memory doesn't get too far above 3 Gb.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
              the main question i should ask myself is whether i want to buy more ram or not, and if that answer is yes, then ill post questions such as the one i asked.

Since i do want to buy more RAM, and i feel i not only want it and need it, ill buy it. just had a question to ask first. sorry you do not think its needed. guess we wont see you in the ram store any time soon. yay .
              Stop being such a freaking douche! I try to give you honest advice and once again you act like a child.

My point is why spend money on something you will see ZERO benefit from unless you're photo/video editing (i'd bet you do neither of these things). But go ahead, waste your money. It's not like it affects me in any way.

Comment

Before this thread goes down in flames....I would just ask that we remember this is a community of friends trying to help friends. If their are personal issues either try to take a step back and ignore or take it off line.

I think Juneau was trying to help - whether it was what you wanted to hear, well that is up to you - but it was not with ill intent.

Let's keep things light guys.

Comment

Another thing that will use up RAM like crazy is virtualization. So if your running VMware that would do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
                    Another thing that will use up RAM like crazy is virtualization. So if your running VMware that would do it too.
                    Better listen to Mapes, he may not be good lookin, but da boy be knowin his stuff.
                    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                    Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                    widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X