Overclocking help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overclocking help

I have an Asus P6X58d-e motherboard. My CPU is an I-7 930 at 2.8 stock.
    Asus has a utility that comes with it but it only lets me increase the bclk. What I read on this is when you increase the bclk the ram clocks will follow along. So if I increase the bclk any it puts a strain on the ram and my computer locks up and reboots. Kind of a safety mechanism.

I looked in the bios and the settings are kinda vague. I really didnt understand how to decrease the ram setting to allow the CPU overclock. It has places for all that but I didnt want to mess with anything that I didnt know how to do right.

Some help would be appreciated. I wanted to see if it would increase performance in BFBC2 since the BF games are fairly CPU intense.
    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hello Cobalt long time no see.

Here is a thread about OCing the i7. There are some great links in there to help get you on your way. From what I remember setting the voltages at their max was the key to getting the speed I wanted then reducing the voltages until problems popped up to find the minimum voltage that worked with that speed. I ended up getting 3.6 with HT on, this has me running BC2 with triple digit FPS at a resolution of 2048 x 1150. You should notice a difference with your higher CPU speed.

Good luck.

Ooops here is the link.
    Overclocking an i7. - Cain's Lair Forums
    Last edited by Duke{CLR}; 2 Jun 2011, 01:13 PM. Reason: added linkage
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Duke, that one site had some good info on the Asus boards. I changed the setting accordingly and thought I had everything set. Rebooted but when I got the the bios page before windows starts it locked up at that point and would go no further. Couldnt even get into the bios at that point.

Had to remove the battery to reset the bios and load the defaults back up to get it back running. The only thing I didnt change was the voltage. I thought I moved the ram down and the bclk up. I was running 200 x 18 for 3.6 at that point. Everything looked good but it wouldnt run it. I'm kinda worried about trying again. Dont have a lot of time to mess with it as I have a lot of stuff going on.

I dont know what the problem was, cant really say without trying different stuff but the voltage could have been it. Thanks for the help though. This board is not real straight forward on doing stuff. And with the Intel chips being locked in with the ram controller it's kinda hard to guess at things.

Guess I'll wait and try again when I have a good workbench set up. I'm in the middle of trying to get a house built and where I'm staying right now doesnt have a lot of room.

But thanks anyway.
      [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

When you get a chance bump up those voltages to the max limit and you should be fine. Worry about the temps after you get it to boot.
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
        Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X