Hard Drive Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Drive Question

I have 4 hard drives on my computer. One has stopped showing up in windows. It shows up in BIOS though. It is not showing up in Computer, Device Manager or Disc Management.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Bad - Disk Management should show any functioning drive, Windows says your drive is not functioning.
    Worse - Device manager should show it anyway.

Here's some good advice (ripped from the web):
    "Go to the website of its manufacturer and download their free diagnostic utility package. Seagate has Seatools, WD has Data Lifegard. others hae their own. Personally I prefer the version that has you burn your own CD-R and then boot and run from that, completely independent of an OS on your hard drive. Run its tests and write down the info. IF you believe your HDD should be replaced under warranty, the manufacturer probably will want that info before agreeing to do that."
    It's best to run the CD-R version of the utility since you already know Windows cannot see the drive. If the utility includes a repair function; don't trust it to preserve your data.

Bonus Option 1: Go into Device Manager, in Disk Drives right click and select Scan for Hardware Change.
    Bonus Option 2: Open your PC and shuffle the connectors between drives to confirm good & bad drives are unchanged.

The most likely cause for this is a failed drive, but sometimes a failed Windows drive can still be read & copied by booting with a Linux boot disk.

Comment

Further testing has indicated that the drive is bad. I am surprised that it would show up in BIOS though.
      The really bad news is that Quickbooks and BFBC2 are on that drive. It is not under warranty so I will be replacing it tomorrow and then reinstalling my software. At least I do not have to reinstall windows. I will not be playing until I get the new drive, install all data and then do my paperwork. Payroll taxes are due Monday and I have to get this up to know what I owe the IRS.
      Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

too bad they wont take "hard drive failure" as a valid excuse not to file on time.

Comment

But Mr. IRS man my hard drive ate my paperwork

Comment

I'd install this download and see what it tells you about recovering files (for any type of hard drive). Might waste time, but it's free to try "For Local and Network Recovery".
            Data Recovery Demo and File Recovery trial software download (Updated link to the real developers of the recovery software.)

There are very expensive recovery service which nearly always works. They will rebuild the drive if they have to. They work 7-days a week, but your files won't be available by Monday.
            Data Recovery Services

If the recovery software fails to read the drive, this won't help either: ... sometimes a failed Windows drive can still be read & copied by booting with a Linux boot disk.

Comment

Putting your HDD in a resealable bag, then in the freezer can sometimes help. I do not kid.

Comment

If I can not recover my data, I will still be OK. I have quickbooks backed up.
                Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Good!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                  Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X