Putting together a new Computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
    You all make very good points. Luckily I've never had a HD fail on me (knock on wood). As to when it comes to my files, I usually use an external HDD to back all my files up seperate from my computer.

When you have 2 hard drives, do you have to install an OS on both or could you maybe have a HD with the OS on it and maybe like the raptor drive wwith your games on it?

I usually run a system cleaner on my computer every week. CC cleane, Defragmentation, disk clean, virus scan, etc which keeps my HD working pretty good.
    OS goes on one drive. The second one will act like any other storage device like an external HD or thumbdrive, except that it's internal. Also my advice is to get your system running on the one drive first and everything is ok before you connect the second drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BadHabitz View Post
      OS goes on one drive. The second one will act like any other storage device like an external HD or thumbdrive, except that it's internal. Also my advice is to get your system running on the one drive first and everything is ok before you connect the second drive.
      Well right now my funds for a new computer have been pretty well exhausted so im gonna have to wait awhile before I purchase new parts. But I definately plan on putting up pics of me building the comp by the weekend. My HD and PSU were delayed so now I have to wait till friday before I start the build itself.

EDIT: Quick question. Once I get my computer started up how can i montor the temperature of my CPU and GPU to make sure that the coolers are working properly. I would hate for anything to overheat and fry.
      We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

EDIT: Quick question. Once I get my computer started up how can i montor the temperature of my CPU and GPU to make sure that the coolers are working properly. I would hate for anything to overheat and fry.
        Your vid card might come with a program on the CD to monitor the GPU. For the CPU there are programs you can download and use.

Comment

Your vid card might come with a program on the CD to monitor the GPU. For the CPU there are programs you can download and use.
          Could you reccomend a couple good programs?

Comment

You have an EVGA GPU so get this... EVGA | EVGA Precision | EVGA Precision

CPU
            Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
            CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

http://www.cputhermometer.com/

I've used them in the past when I was having overheating problems. Turned out to not really be a hardware issue, but that 'APB' was pushing my system so hard that I was pushing serious heat. Cleaning out the rig and adding a few optional fans solved the problem. My new case (CoolerMaster Storm Scout) is good enough where it's no longer a problem. I also upgraded my RAM from 4 to 8 and my GPU from 9800 to 460 1GB. Now it's not a problem at all. So I don't use any monitoring program at all anymore.

And Duke already pointed out a good GPU program.

Comment

Ok so I got everything to start correctly but the initial boot sequence with the Asus motherboard says my CPU is running at 112 degrees F. I know thats too hot so I shut it down immediately. The CPU cooler fans are spinning but not very fast. Im wondering if this is a false reading or if the CPU cooler hasnt been properly put on for some reason because I used the thermal compound and the CPU cooler makes contact with the processor.

Comment

I'll tell you what mine is when I get home, but I don't think that is too high. That's only 14 degrees past normal body temp, and your comp is going to run hotter.

Google normal CPU temps for an idea. Keep in mind most places will use Celsius for some strange reason. Make sure you do a proper conversion.

Comment

I'll tell you what mine is when I get home, but I don't think that is too high. That's only 14 degrees past normal body temp, and your comp is going to run hotter.

Google normal CPU temps for an idea. Keep in mind most places will use Celsius for some strange reason. Make sure you do a proper conversion.
                    Well google was saying that i7 runs hotter and normal range is high 30s C and low 40s C but im still not sure. Gonna instal fan and GPU controls now

Comment

Well google was saying that i7 runs hotter and normal range is high 30s C and low 40s C but im still not sure. Gonna instal fan and GPU controls now
                      With that cooler, I get 40C when it starts up. You get 44. It might be your case is poorly vented. The HAF fulltower I have has 4 gigantic fans. Make sure the top fan is flowing upwards and not intaking. And you don't have to turn it off. When your sensor sees it's going to melt, it turns itself off. My first PC, which I ran while forgetting to connect the CPU fan to, survived well over 10 starts with no fan lol. God bless the Q6600.

Comment

112 F is only 44.4444444444 C
                        Thats not very hot at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Donziboy2 View Post
                          112 F is only 44.4444444444 C
                          Thats not very hot at all.
                          +1

Set up your real temp CU monitor then run some kind of cpu burn in tool to see how hot you get. I use the torture test in Prime 95 to run all my cores and most of my memory at max load, this will tell you if you have any problems with your cooling.

Prime95 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
                          [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                          Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

i run at 37 C idle. Since most all temps get listed in C as opposed to F. i use C. i do not like to convert, do math, or think any harder than i have to .

i run about 35C idle, and 50-55 underload. my old GPU's would easily run into the high 80's this freaked me out, but i read around and some cards hit mid 90's.

Comment

Here is a pic of my temps at idle.

How can I increase my CPU fan speeds? I would like them to be running at 50-60% but they are apparently only running at 40%.

Comment

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X