Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooo...

some of you wanted specs on my BF3 Rig.
    price doesnt matter atm, since this will be my 2nd Desktop i ever owned.. so i should reward myself..... nicely.... :]

Here are the specs:
    from my point of view and researching.
    i wanted something that would last me a couple years.. of course the video cards will have to swap out,every now and then. So i picked the very expensive one lol.. i know ATI and Geforce makes new cards every so often..

cpu:Intel BX80613i7980X Core i7 980X Extreme Edition Processor - 3.33GHz, LGA 1366, 6.4GT/s QPI, 12MB L3 Cache, Six Core, HyperThreading, Gulftown

mobo:EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, 4-Way SLI Ready, Ready, Triple Channel DDR3, RAID, Hyperthreading

vid card: 2x GeForce GTX 580 SuperClocked
    ram:Corsair CMT12GX3M6A1866C9 Dominator GT Triple Channel 12GB DDR3
    or Corsair Dominator 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM

psu: Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD

case: SILVERSTONE TJ10-BW Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    or
    LIAN LI PC-X500FX Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    (IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THESE 2 NAMED CASES PLEASE POST YOUR REVIEWS ON THEM)

sound card: Asus Xonar DX PCIe 7.1

HDD:HITACHI Ultrastar 7K3000 HUA723030ALA640 (0F12456) 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

as for monitors now i'll use my 55' Samsung LED.
    Last edited by Brian is Huh?!{CLR}; 21 Mar 2011, 12:54 AM.

Pretty good

How far away will you be sitting from that monster screen LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus View Post
      Pretty good

How far away will you be sitting from that monster screen LOL
      ill be in my man cave... about 6feet away

Comment

Nice build.....
        But, 2011 chips are just around the corner, hell even the 1155 chips are kicking some serious butt and the most expensive one out atm is $350.

Dont forget CPU HSF, im a fan of the kind that blow down onto the mobo, mainly because warm air blowing onto everything is better then no air blowing on everything.

Motherboard.... $600 4way SLI mobo..... If your really going to go 4way go for it if not, go with a 3way board for like half the price.

Why the mk1 fermi, why not a mk2 fermi like the 560 TI or 570? If your goin to buy a high range mobo then go with like 2 560Ti's at least, that 3 and 4 way sli adds alot of cost to the board use it. Its like buying a Viper and using a V6 instead of the V10. Althou you would save a hell of alot of gas

For ram, go triple channel, since your board has it us it. Not much of a corsiar fan, they will charge you $100 extra just for a ram cooler......

PSU seems ok.

Cases. $300-450..... whats so special about them? Both are good companies but.... Lil expensive. Thermaltake makes good cases and they wont cost you a child. Side vent or even better fans are always good for direct cooling.

Sound card... last one I bought was the Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX ($350 at the time of purchase) its been in a box on a shelf for years now, onboard sound is pretty decent nowadays, and they usually come with enough plugs to fit many needs.

7200 rpm os drive...........
        Split it up, separate gaming and os drives are better. You would be surprised at how much stutter in games comes from OS working in the background and accessing the HD while your game is trying to access it. Im a fan of the WD 10k drives, just recently shelved a 74gb may 05 raptor that has been in a gaming rig and in an htpc with over 10k hours on it. A 300gb 10k drive will hold alot of games, SSD's are still overpriced. Just for reference im running 150gb raptor OS drive, 300gb game drive and 2tb storage drive on my gaming rig.

55' LED Can I come to your house please ?

Dont forget a decent backup power supply, you dont wanna fry $2k in 5 seconds.

Im not trying to slam you btw I just hate to see wasted money, cant even scrap up $600 atm to upgrade my e8500/evga 750i mobo/ and 8gb ram to an 1155 quad system.

Comment

Originally posted by Donziboy2 View Post

Nice build.....
          But, 2011 chips are just around the corner, hell even the 1155 chips are kicking some serious butt and the most expensive one out atm is $350.

Dont forget CPU HSF, im a fan of the kind that blow down onto the mobo, mainly because warm air blowing onto everything is better then no air blowing on everything.

Motherboard.... $600 4way SLI mobo..... If your really going to go 4way go for it if not, go with a 3way board for like half the price.

Why the mk1 fermi, why not a mk2 fermi like the 560 TI or 570? If your goin to buy a high range mobo then go with like 2 560Ti's at least, that 3 and 4 way sli adds alot of cost to the board use it. Its like buying a Viper and using a V6 instead of the V10. Althou you would save a hell of alot of gas

For ram, go triple channel, since your board has it us it. Not much of a corsiar fan, they will charge you $100 extra just for a ram cooler......

PSU seems ok.

Cases. $300-450..... whats so special about them? Both are good companies but.... Lil expensive. Thermaltake makes good cases and they wont cost you a child. Side vent or even better fans are always good for direct cooling.

Sound card... last one I bought was the Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX ($350 at the time of purchase) its been in a box on a shelf for years now, onboard sound is pretty decent nowadays, and they usually come with enough plugs to fit many needs.

7200 rpm os drive...........
          Split it up, separate gaming and os drives are better. You would be surprised at how much stutter in games comes from OS working in the background and accessing the HD while your game is trying to access it. Im a fan of the WD 10k drives, just recently shelved a 74gb may 05 raptor that has been in a gaming rig and in an htpc with over 10k hours on it. A 300gb 10k drive will hold alot of games, SSD's are still overpriced. Just for reference im running 150gb raptor OS drive, 300gb game drive and 2tb storage drive on my gaming rig.

55' LED Can I come to your house please ?

Dont forget a decent backup power supply, you dont wanna fry $2k in 5 seconds.

Im not trying to slam you btw I just hate to see wasted money, cant even scrap up $600 atm to upgrade my e8500/evga 750i mobo/ and 8gb ram to an 1155 quad system.
          yea thanks appreciate the info. need it :]
          im not buying all of these from amazon,tiger,newegg, i'm getting some of these from my local comp shops for 1/2 cut prices. like the one you mentioned about the case. i'm getting them for $85 per case. with 2 120mm fan installed.
          I havent forgot that HSF.. i might just go with the V6 fan.
          for the fermi vid cards. i still have alot of time till decide the final graphic cards.
          I'm still debating if i should get the "Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5970 Dual GPU Toxic 4GB" its a sick card and powerful.

Sound card, i dont mind if its a good or superb one. i just need a decent one for gaming since ill be using my BOSE surround system on it.

yea about the HDD, im looking into some SSD, if you know any you recommend let me know , i've never used a SSD before, remember this is my 2nd desktop i've ever owned/built. back then SSD didnt exist or ive never heard of it. lol..

The dominator are triple channel 12gig.

Comment

For an SSD
            Corsair Force 115gb sata 2 SSD
            Thats about the best price per GB ive seen for a Fast SSD, I still think they are way to expensive for there sizes.

For sound it will depend what the onboard sound on the mobo has, some have digital coax and fiber optics on them, some dont. Along with other plug types.

As for an ATI card, remember you cant Crossfire them as far as i know on intel boards, unless its in really small print.

Comment

Originally posted by Donziboy2 View Post
              For an SSD
              Corsair Force 115gb sata 2 SSD
              Thats about the best price per GB ive seen for a Fast SSD, I still think they are way to expensive for there sizes.

For sound it will depend what the onboard sound on the mobo has, some have digital coax and fiber optics on them, some dont. Along with other plug types.

As for an ATI card, remember you cant Crossfire them as far as i know on intel boards, unless its in really small print.
              yes, i remember. so as for vcards.. ill go with the 2x GeForce GTX 580 SuperClocked.

now i have to find a XL Full tower case. since the x58 is HUGE. i saw it in person just now and it'll take up a whole mid tower.

as for the sound card i dont think ill need one. so ill save the $200. since the x58 has all the necessary ports.
              Last edited by Brian is Huh?!{CLR}; 21 Mar 2011, 12:54 AM.

Comment

The benefit of a sound card is to put the sound generation on the card instead of the motherboard. It's supposed to free up some of your CPU power.
                The problem is that these days your CPU is never really taxed to the point where generating sound is a burden.
                So, in theory, if you really want the benefit of a sound card you can do so with a nice $30 card instead of the expensive setup (trust me, I had to resist it myself).

Comment

Originally posted by BadHabitz View Post
                  The benefit of a sound card is to put the sound generation on the card instead of the motherboard. It's supposed to free up some of your CPU power.
                  The problem is that these days your CPU is never really taxed to the point where generating sound is a burden.
                  So, in theory, if you really want the benefit of a sound card you can do so with a nice $30 card instead of the expensive setup (trust me, I had to resist it myself).
                  Also, some games (like BC2) will put sound on a different CPU thread, so if you have at least a quad core it shouldnt be an issue. One other possible issue with using onboard sound is board noise.

I don't really see the point with going with 1366. I would either go with an 1155 Sandy Bridge part: 2600K or wait until the re-branded Sandy Bridge server chips come out.
                  [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

If i wasn't so tired right now i'd actually roll around the ground laughing at that PSU. What you planning on running? Quad SLI and a server farm?

Great case choices.

edit: Just read another of the posts. You're honestly thinking of running 3 GTX580's?

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                      If i wasn't so tired right now i'd actually roll around the ground laughing at that PSU. What you planning on running? Quad SLI and a server farm?

Great case choices.

edit: Just read another of the posts. You're honestly thinking of running 3 GTX580's?
                      no im planning to stick with 2. i dont mind running a desktop as a server lol.
                      i think 1000w is efficient thats all.

Comment

@Brian is Huh?!{CLR}

Here are the specs:
                        from my point of view and researching.
                        i wanted something that would last me a couple years.. of course the video cards will have to swap out,every now and then. So i picked the very expensive one lol.. i know ATI and Geforce makes new cards every so often..

i7 980X one of mine died a little bit after a year. I blame the eVGA Classy MoBo and my overclock. FYU when i contacted Intel RMA pretreatment they almost refuse to warrant the CPU because its over 1.5V memory.

EVGA X58 Classified had 3 boards total of Classified 2 had problems , the last was ok but i decide to get Asus Rampage Extreme III instead. I have better overclock with this one, better memory compatibility.

2x GeForce GTX 580 SuperClocked There is no reason to get SC cards, u can overclock them much higher and its easy.

Corsair CMT12GX3M6A1866C9 Dominator GT Triple Channel 12GB DDR3 This is OK.

or Corsair Dominator 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM you need triple channel memory so this one is NO GO.

Comment

Originally posted by bobytt View Post
                          @Brian is Huh?!{CLR}
                          ahh thanks! bobytt!
                          ill just wait till bf3 comes out then and THEN build it from there on :]

Comment

By then you going to have better choices. And if you dont do rendering or encoding i would go with 2600K Sandy Bridge and who knows, may be AMD's Bulldozer is going to be a hit

Comment

From what ive seen and heard running 2 gtx 580's in pcie x8 SLI wont have any major % loss. So you dont need the uber mobo's to run 2x sli cards.

BTW 2 GTX 580!!!!!!!! I hate you......

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X